Did I find a meteorite?

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Outside of Philadelphia, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Tesoro Sand Shark, Bazooka Gold Trap Mini, Gold Rush Nugget Bucket, Garrett Supersluice Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everyone!

im still working the minelab Safari and loving it. I came across this, and I have no idea what it is. I forget what I rang up as on the detector (sorry) and was a nice solid hit. I'm just wondering if I could have found a meteorite fragment.

It is NOT magnetic, which is why I'm assuming it's not one. However, it has the weight that typically assists in defining a meteorite (very heavy for its size) and it has some "crystal" crusting that I notice every so often I turn it, almost like a really small piece of glass. I took photos for ya'll and hope you can help me identify this. I'm not getting my hopes up lol. Thanks everyone.

Brett

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    918.6 KB · Views: 77
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    904.5 KB · Views: 93
Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Tesoro Sand Shark, Bazooka Gold Trap Mini, Gold Rush Nugget Bucket, Garrett Supersluice Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
image.jpeg Oops forgot this last pic lol

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Here's a very large chunk of babbitt metal slag I found near an old railroad depot. It was likely melted out of an axle bearing when it wore out and hit the ground and cooled resulting in it taking on the shape & roughness of the dirt it landed on.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    17 KB · Views: 346
  • 001 (2).JPG
    001 (2).JPG
    64.7 KB · Views: 75

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found many slags if you look on google there are some pretty good ways to see if it is a meteorite. I also would maybe go to a jeweler they will usually look at things free and if they are knowledgeable can give you a pretty good idea of what you have!! Always check!!

OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That definitely appears to be what it is. Ugh lol I was hoping big time. Thanks for getting back to me so quick :( I'll keep at it! Loving the hobby, no matter what I'm looking for.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread