DID I find a Platinum ring with my 1236X2?

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Took my trusty Fisher to a local school today, right behind the house, for an hour this morning. Found a bunch of clad and normal playground trash, as expected:

DSCF0128.jpg

....and what appears to be a worn wedding band. I've never seen markings such as those in the band, and like any detectorist, I've seen more than a few:

DSCF0130.jpg

It is a tad bit heavier than the average band, weighing 8.44 grams according to my scale. It ID's just below nickel. By comparison, my 14K gold wedding band ID's in the middle of the pull tab range.

Knowing my luck, in general, I'm thinking it's stainless or German silver ("nickle silver"), although the latter isn't seen much these days. What seems even more unlikely is platinum, although the "P x" marking inside the band could lead one to that conclusion. If one were inclined to be led to such conclusions, that is... which as you might guess, I am. :laughing7:

So... what do you guys think? Plain old stainless? German silver? Platinum?

UPDATE: I found one internet site that says "P t" can sometimes be found on .999 platinum. If that funny little thingie after the "P," is a "t," well....... :dontknow:

Upvote 0

BURLIVES

Apr 14, 2009
Northeastern Pa.
Detector(s) used
CZ 6a
Man ya never know. I found 2 Platinum bands this year after only finding 1 in my first 29 years of hunting. All 3 of mine sat PLAT, with one having a company hallmark. The 2 I found this year are "whiter" than white gold, when I first found them (in the water) I thought they were silver. Like you mentioned mine like yours are heavier than a gold or ring of similar size. The metal is very dense. I don't think yours is stainless, it wouldn't weigh that much and pewter should be a little darker? maybe. I think you have a real shot at it...take it to a trusted jewler and keep us posted...good luck.Burl

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
The amount of platinum in a product is expressed in parts per thousand. "Pt1000" means that the product is 100% pure platinum. "Pt850" means that it is 85% pure platinum and 15% platinum alloy.

Platinum content is usually marked as "950Pt", "950 Plat", or "Plat".

In the United States, in order to be marked "Platinum" or "Plat", a piece of jewelry must contain at least 50% platinum.

For more detailed info go here:

Platinum Info Weight Measure Units-Gold Calculator Software
I would still take it to a jewlerer or somewhere to be tested...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread