paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is not at all what I was in the cornfield for, but we have had a ton of rain the past week so all of the surface rocks have been washed clean and this piece was just sitting flat on the surface. It looks worked to me, but this really isn't my forte so I'm hoping the experts can weigh in!

DSC09583.JPG DSC09581.JPG DSC09584.JPG DSC09585.JPG

If it is an arrowhead, any information on type/age would be much appreciated!

Upvote 15
OP
OP
P

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think Driftwood nailed the ID with it being an Orient Fishtail type point, have a look at those. Most Lamoka points have unfinished bases, meaning the base of the point wasn't thinned so that it could fit easily between the split end of a wooden handle or spear shaft. Your point appears to have a thinned base. It is assumed that the unfinished base points, being too thick for a split shaft, were instead hafted into an open socket, as you might find in the hollow interior of a bone.

I definitely see what you mean on the base; there are clear work marks. The asymmetry of the base sort of threw me, but that seemed to be common on Lamoka points which makes sense if they didn't finish them. The size, material, and geographic range are all consistent with Orient Fishtail. Did points like these tend to get lost in groups, or is it a very random occurrence? I'm wondering if it makes sense to walk the field some more before planting.

redbeardrelics

Jan 3, 2014
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
Primary Interest:
Other
I definitely see what you mean on the base; there are clear work marks. The asymmetry of the base sort of threw me, but that seemed to be common on Lamoka points which makes sense if they didn't finish them. The size, material, and geographic range are all consistent with Orient Fishtail. Did points like these tend to get lost in groups, or is it a very random occurrence? I'm wondering if it makes sense to walk the field some more before planting.
Where there is one, there is usually more. I would definitely walk that field some more before planting, and after planting if it is ok to do so.

OP
OP
P

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where there is one, there is usually more.

You're not wrong! Just found another in the field less than 50' away. It's very different though; I'll be posting photos shortly...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread