did more exploring, and found some new stuff

viper771

Jul 17, 2006
Germany
Hey guys! i figured id go out today come hell or high water.. so I did. I almost froze to death at the end though hehe.. been gettin really cold here. I went to the other side of the woods by the duck pond. There was an area of woods I didn't try to hunt yet. It had some newer trees growing in it (prob 40 yrs old), so it was replanted after the war. About 8 feet from the car, i found a nice hole to start diggingi in. I found 4 of those whatisit things, 3 lids? to what i think were motar round ammo tubes (not sure yet). I thought they were arty shell casing bases, but after i cleaned them a bit, 2 of them had handles, and one still has rubber around the bottom! I have to do some research on those. I did find 2 large arty shell casings, still together (one is still burried). Also, 2 screw in type of detonators (rusted out) were found, and are in good shape! Those are things I have never found before! One has a blunt tip, and its solid all the way down to where you screw it into a warhead. The other is a bit different, it was cone shaped (one side is flat), and it screwed into a seperate base, then the whole thing was screwed into a warhead.

The one kind of dangerous thing i found was a flak 88 warhead, with a point detonator still screwed in. The whole thing was about 13 inches long..quite large.I left it out in the woods, I didn't bring it home. I do want to take some pictures of it. All the stuff ive found in this area was blown up by the germans, or french. One of the detonators I found has scorching all over it, like if it was blown up, or tossed in a fire. That warhead was pretty rotted out, so its safe to handle. I just wouldn't go beating on it of anything lol.

After it started getting a bit dark, and i was covered in mud (water keep seeping from underground and filling my hole in!).. i started to walk around and explore around my first hole. I found 2 other holes, just big enough to toss in weapons, or helmets, etc. I am going to try and dig there tomorrow.. it may even snow soon, so MDing season is comming to a close.

I think i figured out what those whatisit things are.. I placed one of my detonators I found into one, and it FIT. I think they were placed on top of arty shells, to keep them from bumping around, or the detonators from hitting each other in transport! I have tons of stuff to clean.. sorry for the bad pictures, it was dark outside, and the garage isn't well lit. The camera died as soon as I took my last picture. When i clean some of this stuff up, I will take better pictures. Happy Hunting everyone! :)

Here is a pict of all the stuff i found today (minus the detonators). The thing is the upper left is something, but dunno what yet. I have to clean it off.
finds nov2.jpg

Here are those lids to motar ammo tubes? The one on the top has the rubber in it
finds nov22.jpg

Here is a partial arty shell casing next to my foot for size comparison. I am a size 10, and the top of the casing rotted away. It was prob a littler longer. These were late war casings, made of thin steel.. thats why i usually only find the bases (thicker metal)
finds novshell.jpg

Here are my 2 detonators
finds nov detonators.jpg

They aren't too big, im holding one in my hand
finds nov detonators size.jpg

Upvote 0

Spitfire Reddie

Bronze Member
Jul 29, 2006
NC
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2
Flip flops with socks !! :o :o whats next cars for fish ?? Just kidding ! Nice finds ! ;D

OP
OP
viper771

viper771

Jul 17, 2006
Germany
I knew someone was gonna say SOMETHING :P It is REALLY REALLY REALLY cold in the garage, and all my boots are muddy from my exploring. Had to keep my feets warm somehow :)

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
V,

nice group of finds.

Sounds like your having fun out there, even
with the cold weather.

have a good un..............

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome post Viper, be careful! HH, Mike

Mainedigger

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's M6 & Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Viper...nice finds...:) I know you are careful out there, however, you stated you left the flak 88 out there with the detonator in it.....what do you do with them after taking pics? Do you have a explosive guy from your squad remove them,or neutralize them? I just have bad visions of little kids running around out there throwing rocks and hitting the detonator or worse, picking it up and bringing it home.

OP
OP
viper771

viper771

Jul 17, 2006
Germany
I didnt mean leave it on the surface!! Its been safe for the past 60 years a ft below the ground, its gonna go back there with some rocks over the top of it (not directly on it). This area I am hunting in now, the germans know exactly whats out there. A lot of the old guys tell us stories about them as kids playing in the woods, finding machine gun ammo, etc. They would take the bullet heads out, and dump the powder. I guess this guys dad found out and beat his ass hehe.

I don't leave stuff on the surface. :) I don't want anyone to get hurt

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Viper, thanks for the post and braving the elements. I like the digs you've been posting, a little piece of history ;D.

OP
OP
viper771

viper771

Jul 17, 2006
Germany
I haven't found anything people would consider a "great" find like a helmet or rifle, etc. But the stuff I have been finding is stuff you really never see, since it was discarded, or left behind (if I was a GI in ww2, id rather take home a helmet than a arty shell case). There is good stuff out there, I just need to keep looking is all :)

Tommi

Sep 19, 2005
Australia
Detector(s) used
Famous-Trails-MD9100 ACE250-PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds Viper, a bit cold for thongs tho ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread