Did my ace just die?

Thaddeus

Dec 29, 2017
NFA
Detector(s) used
Garret ace 400i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had my ace 400 for three months and have loved its simplicity. I feel i have already outgrown it but it is all i have. Yezterday it went a little nuts all of a sudden and now almost every signal is a 73. I thought it was the batteries so i changed them to the best ones i could find ,though i am in vietnam and quality batteries they are not, it still showed full power after the switch. It was still showing 73 for everything underground even things only one or two inches. I detected anyways because i am an addict and was getting along alright just diggin everything. Then it went really nuts and the iron audio would not shut off. Just a solid iron tone constantly. Turned it off and on a few times and then it randomly stopped after ten minutes and went back to the 73 syndrome. If i whip targets i know are different past the coil once or twice it might give me a correct signal half the time but it will still revert back to a 73 unless i try very hard to fool it. Obvious iron signals still give me an iron audio tone but show up with a high tone of 73 and a 73 on the screen. I am used to the tones changing a little or alot based on the target or my swing but now the only thing it says is 73. Obvious 22 or 85 signals still show me a 73......?....wtf. I have used this machine a ton and got what i payed for up until now. I cleaned the coil cover so rule that out. Should i open her up have a little look see and do a little operatin' myself? I am surely not qualified, have no tools and fear voiding my warranty. Has anyone ever done open heart surgery on their ace? Could it be that i just used her too much? I do detect alot in salt water but i thought i was keeping her safe enough. I leave for nha trang tomorow to hopefully get some drunk tourist gold. If i cant detect and i cant fix it it would be such a bummer. What am i supposed to do in nha trang? Just lie on the beach and drink bia hoi all damn day.......sounds super boring..........please help me tech wizards you are my only hope......this baby cant die on me now.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check the connection of the coil wire to the main unit. Another thing you can do while the machine is on, is wiggle the coil wire a little to see if that makes a difference. I would not open the box, it's all miniature circuitry anyway. If you can't figure it out today, I'd get ahold of Garrett and arrange to send it for repair. Warranties are wondrous things.

OP
OP
Thaddeus

Thaddeus

Dec 29, 2017
NFA
Detector(s) used
Garret ace 400i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got back from an attempted night detect and my machine is hooped. Constant iron audio. I looked closely at the connection into the box and noticed much to my surprise that there is a little rust forming around the hoop! The pins inside the connection are fine looking and go on smooth just the nut that holds the connection to the housing has a bit of rust. I cannot see how that would do it being as the actual contacts seem fine but i also cannot look inside. Maybe there is rust and corosion everywhere inside?. Its that salt air getting in there i bet. A sad day for me. I think tmo i will open her up and see if i notice any abnormal greens or reds. No touching just looking. If i see an obvious problem i might clean it off with a qtip and a little rubbing alcohol........im afraid to open it. Garrett doesnt even ship to canada let alone vietnam. Thanks for the support guys.......i gotta figure this out soon

OP
OP
Thaddeus

Thaddeus

Dec 29, 2017
NFA
Detector(s) used
Garret ace 400i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh ya forgot to say i did the master reset and it did nothing. Any suggestions on a super light yet strong enough cleaner? Iso and a tiny paint brush are my ideas. Anyone ever done this before? I dont even really know how to get into the housing.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are going to clean the boards use electrosafe spray Don't use any thing else

OP
OP
Thaddeus

Thaddeus

Dec 29, 2017
NFA
Detector(s) used
Garret ace 400i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I cannot find much in this country......i took the battery cover off and removed the screws. The screen feels loose when i do this but i am afraid to pull on it any harder. It wont come apart for me. Am i missing something? I would just like to take a look for any obvious corrosion and gently remove it. Has anyone looked at their boards inside of an ace? What was the exact process you used to get inside the housing to check the circuit boatds for any obvious corrosion. Thanks so much for the support guys.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread