jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Did some serious driving this morning. I woke up with no plan and within 20 minutes I had my list of stops and was out the door. The only score for the day was the final stop. It was the 2nd week of the sale and it was PACKED with stuff but it had clearly been picked over. Ended up grabbing a dual wheel style brass kaleidoscope and this really cool silver piece (pictures attached):

It is a "hanau silver" vase from Germany. It is marked with pseudo hallmarks that mimic British hallmarks. Nice piece that I grabbed for the nice price of $20.

Here is a hanau piece from the same maker that brought some pretty strong money. The link is NOT my piece nor is it my auction. Just showing as a rough example.
Magnificent Antique Art Nouveau Sterling Cherubs 4 Glass Decanter Set Germany WK | eBay

Note: Yes, it looks brassy in the pics. It also looks brassy in hand, which is probably why no one else bought it. It is badly tarnished and desperately needs to be cleaned. I polished a small section on the bottom and I instantly knew it was sterling.

Attachments

• IMG_4062.JPG
    IMG_4062.JPG
    123.9 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_4063.JPG
    IMG_4063.JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 122

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that's a great find on the Hanau vase! Thanks, too, for the history data.

Bill

Last edited:

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good score... Are you sure the brassy look isn't from a gold wash finish? I've got some very old silver that was gold washed and the silver oxide underneath leached through and gave it a look of brass with old patina. I think that's how it ended up being sold so cheap, because they thought it was brass. I recognized the hallmarks as silver. I had it appraised by Timothy Stenger of Cowan's Auction house and he said they were originally finished with a gold wash and it would be best not to give them no more then a very light and carful cleaning in order not to wear off the very thin gold wash. How's the condition of the cut crystal.?

Last edited:
OP
OP
jerseyben

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Good score... Are you sure the brassy look isn't from a gold wash finish? I've got some very old silver that was gold washed and the silver oxide underneath leached through and gave it a look of brass with old patina. I think that's how it ended up being sold so cheap, because they thought it was brass. I recognized the hallmarks as silver. I had it appraised by Timothy Stenger of Cowan's Auction house and he said they were originally finished with a gold wash and it would be best not to give them no more then a very light and carful cleaning in order not to wear off the very thin gold wash. How's the condition of the cut crystal.?

IMO, my piece is not gold washed. I have seem this phenomenon before on very old sterling where it develops a very brassy tarnish. The crystal looks good. Maybe a tiny flea bite but overall very nice.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMO, my piece is not gold washed. I have seem this phenomenon before on very old sterling where it develops a very brassy tarnish.
I agree. This is especially true on silver that is not quite sterling like much that comes from European countries such as Germany, Italy etc. .800, .835. Like this plate, it is 800 silver and looks completely brassy from the front side, then you flip it over and bam!
attachment.php

attachment.php

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread