Did the Spanish find their way as far north as central Washington State?

Darshevo

Jun 16, 2010
Spokane, Wa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax, Fisher CZ-6a
A couple days ago I found this section of TN and did a bunch of reading. Of course as you learn new things you start paying attention to details that surround the new knowledge. I was headed through central Washington today and was marveling at the occasional large rock that was completely out of place (one the size of a yugo with not another in sight). At one point I saw a pile a ways off the road that appeared to be a Hoyo (rock pile with a hole in it yes?) It was too far away to have been placed there during construction (unless the road had been realigned at some point, but that seems unlikely as its basically strait and boring for miles). Didn't look like an area that had seen much farming action (quite arid) so while its possible a farmer piled 4 or 5 large rock together it probably isn't likely. Then there is always the possibility its just a natural rock occurrence. I was loaded and running late so I didn't have time to stop and investigate it, but would put it on the growing list of places to check out if you guys this there is a chance its an intentional piling, not just a fluke

-Lance

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personally, I wouldn't say they didn't, but it's possible. Remember, there are many other groups that have used a lot of the same marking techniques down through the centuries. One thing for sure; don't go by the published history books about your state or that section of the country. Those books are going to have to be rewritten eventually. The Chinese and Polynesians came to your area. The Spanish could have easily been poking around up there.

oddrock

Apr 7, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett , Minelab ,White's, others and B.S. sniffer
Darshevo said:
A couple days ago I found this section of TN and did a bunch of reading. Of course as you learn new things you start paying attention to details that surround the new knowledge. I was headed through central Washington today and was marveling at the occasional large rock that was completely out of place (one the size of a yugo with not another in sight). At one point I saw a pile a ways off the road that appeared to be a Hoyo (rock pile with a hole in it yes?) It was too far away to have been placed there during construction (unless the road had been realigned at some point, but that seems unlikely as its basically strait and boring for miles). Didn't look like an area that had seen much farming action (quite arid) so while its possible a farmer piled 4 or 5 large rock together it probably isn't likely. Then there is always the possibility its just a natural rock occurrence. I was loaded and running late so I didn't have time to stop and investigate it, but would put it on the growing list of places to check out if you guys this there is a chance its an intentional piling, not just a fluke

-Lance

Lance,

Sounds like an intentional piling, regardless of which group put it there. ( a pic would be nice) The Spanish had hundreds of years here (according to "accepted" history) so I would think the explorers had plenty of time to go as far north as climate would allow. "Unaccepted" history shows the other groups (some of which Shortstack pointed out) were here at different times for thousands of years.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
the spanish had vessels wreck coming from the phillipines to mexico --the old sailing routes thru the pacific took them northward then once they got to the coast they sailed southerly -- due to storms in the pacific many vessels wound up much farther north that what they wanted to go -- theres a famous wreck "the bees wax wreck" -- near the mouth of the columbia river.-- so sure spanish folks could be wondering about with treasure in washington state ( treasure off of wrecked treasure vessels --why not?)

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
I have a friend who has sent me evidence of Spanish, not just signs ...
from as far North as Alberta Canada.
Ivan is right,
There are even wreck as far north as Alaska.

So yes I must agree... you may be finding evidence of Spanish where you are.
One thing to remember though, there were German, French and pioneers in your area as well as trappers.
Many trails are all marked the same way.
If Spanish, it will have another marker visible in the far distance.
this marker may be as far away as 9+ miles, but it will be visible from this one.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
plus remember -- while it it WAS most likely easily visible then * THINGS CHANGE OVER 300 to 500 years

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
ivan salis said:
plus remember -- while it it WAS most likely easily visible then * THINGS CHANGE OVER 300 to 500 years

Amen Buddy,
Just for the record.
Spanish archives produced in the early 1970s a detailed list of requirements.
upon entering a suspected mineral filled mountain range a monument was to be set up on the face of the mountains to mark the point of entry. this monument was to be visible from at least 4 leagues away (9+ miles) the trail in was to be monumented as well as the trail out. To each end each monument was to be visible from the last.

If the trail you seek is Spanish,
You won't have to travel too far to find evidence.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread