Did they call the fuzz?

civil war hunter

Feb 10, 2009
west virginia
Detector(s) used
whites classic 5 id, and bounty hunter.
No one has called the Cops on me.. Yet. I've been yelled at because I thought it would be safe to hunt, but apparently not. I want the folks of TresureNet to tell there story's of close calls, maybe you've seen bigfoot? Or even taken to the ground with a tazer? Or maybe you fell in a well or a hole hunting in the woods?Or maybe you saw a fight during you hunting's? Please leave your story..

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
the only story that needs telling is this one --

once there was a young metal detectorist that because he was not wise enough find public land that was ok to hunt on or to to get land owner ok first -- sooner or later * winds up getting arrested for trespassing and hunting illegally on others land --- thus costing him (or his parents ) a lot of money and trouble as well having his metal detecting gear "taken as evidence of the crime commited" , as well as insuring that local land owners that talk to one another =all now have a "negative" veiw of detectorist as tresspassing poachers --so even if asked they now will say "no" instead of yes .

foolish foolish young man --end of story.

OP
OP
civil war hunter

civil war hunter

Feb 10, 2009
west virginia
Detector(s) used
What advantage do you have of doing this stupid thing to a person that wants to just talk and have a peaceful, good, time on a website that he enjoys allot? I know people like you.. There lives don't end too well. Also have you been metal detecting much? I have, I just don't post because I'm scared of criticism from TresureNet folk. But a friend PMed me and said he had not heard from me in a long time so I thought I would post thinking that I would enjoy people's stories but noo, by God that can't happen. Happy hunting.. You know I won't be having much happiness while metal detecting after what you just said.. Civil War Hunter over and out..

ivan salis said:

once there was a young metal detectorist that because he was not wise enough find public land that was ok to hunt on or to to get land owner ok first -- sooner or later * winds up getting arrested for trespassing and hunting illegally on others land --- thus costing him (or his parents ) a lot of money and trouble as well having his metal detecting gear "taken as evidence of the crime commited" , as well as insuring that local land owners that talk to one another =all now have a "negative" veiw of detectorist as tresspassing poachers --so even if asked they now will say "no" instead of yes .

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cwh - I think what sparked ivan's response is this "No one has called the Cops on me.. Yet. I've been yelled at because I thought it would be safe to hunt, but apparently not."

This type of behavior does not paint all of us detectorists in a good light. Omitting that first sentence would have brought different reactions.

OP
OP
civil war hunter

civil war hunter

Feb 10, 2009
west virginia
Detector(s) used
Well, yeah, I thought of that. But that's the honest Truth. I'm not going to say that I haven't gotten in trouble with Metal Detecting, that like saying that I'm better than everyone, because I always did things wright. People make misstakes am I right? I've never stolen anything from a store or broke into a house. I stole a gameboy when I was in school at 6 or 7. But I gave it back and I also gave up all of my games to give to the kid I stole it from. I also one time I was at a pet store and I was playing with a ball and I guess I stuck it in my pocket for some strange resone, and the alarm went off when I was going out and they just waved me trough and I stuck my hands in my pocket and there was the ball and I was like, huh. Where did that come from? Then I realized that i stuck it in my pocket by accident and went back inside and put it back...

DigginThePast said:
cwh - I think what sparked ivan's response is this "No one has called the Cops on me.. Yet. I've been yelled at because I thought it would be safe to hunt, but apparently not."

This type of behavior does not paint all of us detectorists in a good light. Omitting that first sentence would have brought different reactions.

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ivan salis said:

I was not going to post on this until i read it twice, first always get permission to hunt!!! public land is OK unless local laws forbid it!!! if you are confronted buy some one about detecting on a privet property, you can always ask if they know who the owner is and for contact info most of the time they can provide you with the contact info, or do your research ahead of time and get the permission!!! Always be respectful and turn off your detector!! and if you get the info call right away to talk to the owner allot of property owners have local people looking after their properties!!! They key is to BE RESPECTFUL!!!! HH Chug!!!

OP
OP
civil war hunter

civil war hunter

Feb 10, 2009
west virginia
Detector(s) used
I have been. I was near an Everest Institute for computer softwear. There was a field about 400 yard width and 500 yard length. Top most was wooded beyond it housing's and a building, side Everest, parking lot. Bottom,houses '3'. Other side a Church with parking lot. I thought the church owned it and I thought they wouldn't care if I Metal Detected, then I thought they would so a took to the side near the Everest Instute parking lot where I thought they owned that part because there was a walking trail that lead to there building out back. Turns out the whole field belonged to an old man that seemed to a trouble in the past with rotten teens and yield me off the property. I turned off the detector and covered my holes well . At the most I dug two holes. Found one penny.

Chug and Red said:
ivan salis said:

I was not going to post on this until i read it twice, first always get permission to hunt!!! public land is OK unless local laws forbid it!!! if you are confronted buy some one about detecting on a privet property, you can always ask if they know who the owner is and for contact info most of the time they can provide you with the contact info, or do your research ahead of time and get the permission!!! Always be respectful and turn off your detector!! and if you get the info call right away to talk to the owner allot of property owners have local people looking after their properties!!! They key is to BE RESPECTFUL!!!! HH Chug!!!

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
to go upon another persons land and take things from it with out their ok is a CRIME * its called "THEFT" in the eyes of the law -- it does not matter if the item was long lost buried in the ground or above the ground * if its on that persons property--its theirs by law , frankly thats all that matters to the police , when they arrest you -- even if your there without anything dug up yet even ---your still breaking the law --since there "without permission" on another persons land --that alone is another CRIME * --its called "TRESSPASSING"

while detecting is great fun -- and i urge young folks like you to do and enjoy it -- i also say to "do it smartly and legally" to avoid a lot of needless legal problems and the hassles that come from getting caught illegally detecting -- really stop and think for a minute --do you really need all that trouble ?

I too did dumb foolish things in my youth , and dearly paid the price for my mistakes -- just trying to warn you that "illegal metal detecting" is not only not cool --it can be a whole lot of legal and fiscal $$ trouble that you do not need, -- as always just trying being a freind -- ivan --

if i saw you about to grab a "hot" electric wire that could harm you , would you want me to warn you or "just mind my own bussiness?" -- ivan.

when detecting one of the first things one should do is find out exactly who "owns / controls" that bit of land they want to detect -- the old man that owns it --had you approached him politely and respectfully --might have said --humm nice well mannered boy -- not a brat --ok kid -- but now you look like another one of those pesky brat kids - going on his land wothout permission . -- landowner veiw points matter

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Trespassers will be............ medicated

Attachments

• Rx_symbol.png
    Rx_symbol.png
    9.5 KB · Views: 478

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Only once in all my years of detecting did I ever encounter any problems, and this one wasn't a huge problem. I been detecting since the early 80's, not so much or at all lately because of my work situation.
Anyhow, it was a public park and I was being surrounded by curious kids when an old man came running over yelling..."NO...NO...NO..."
Turns out he was the grounds keeper and didn't want me detecting in that particular part of the field because of underground sprinklers. He told me other detectorists had hunted and punctured the lines in several places.
He then turned around and suggested I detect the portions of the baseball field where there was no grass and also related to me a story of a guy who tossed his glove in the air and his wedding band was in it and it disappeared somewhere in the area.
I understood his position and obliged without argument. Didnt find a darn thing in the dirt area.

Al

OP
OP
civil war hunter

civil war hunter

Feb 10, 2009
west virginia
Detector(s) used
I wish I was an animal because they can go anywhere anytime. It would be hard to grip a detector, unless you where a monkey... :icon_scratch:
It's hard for kids being by them selves while metal detecting because adults could say what ever or do what ever.
I've been surveying with my Dad, for the forth we went to Ohio and brought back some illegal fireworks and set them off at my grandparents here in WV

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
one time I had the landowners permission to detect, and while my buddy and I were detecting his property the son in law shows up and gets nasty with us, told us he did not like us detecting there. The owner came out told his son in law he gave us permission and for us to continue, the son in law was ticked mumbled under his breath and left, well....15 minutes later the cops show up ask for our ID's and said he got called and was told we were there w/o permission. Once again the owner came out told the cops we were given his permission and it was fine for us to be there.

Then around the corner comes the son in law once again and started cussing at us calling us all kind of nasty names, I wanted to just lay him out.........but we just left, before I got myself in real trouble. Some people can be real jerks. and can't keep their nose out of people's business!

OP
OP
civil war hunter

civil war hunter

Feb 10, 2009
west virginia
Detector(s) used
That's good Ole America baby. We have that during surveying.. Teenagers are stupid.. Well maybe half and half..

Goes4ever said:
one time I had the landowners permission to detect, and while my buddy and I were detecting his property the son in law shows up and gets nasty with us, told us he did not like us detecting there. The owner came out told his son in law he gave us permission and for us to continue, the son in law was ticked mumbled under his breath and left, well....15 minutes later the cops show up ask for our ID's and said he got called and was told we were there w/o permission. Once again the owner came out told the cops we were given his permission and it was fine for us to be there.

Then around the corner comes the son in law once again and started cussing at us calling us all kind of nasty names, I wanted to just lay him out.........but we just left, before I got myself in real trouble. Some people can be real jerks. and can't keep their nose out of people's business!

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I haven't heard from you in a while, CWH. Ivan Salis has some good advice, he wasn't running you down, so take it or leave it. I also did some foolish things when I was young, but we thought they were cool, and we thought it was even cooler we didn't get caught. Don't make it right though. Talk to folks and get permission, and a young guy will probably get it, because us old f*rts will probably be amazed a young person would be that considerate and respectful. Whatever became of the date you had at the mall? Broke her heart and got a new one? Later, dude.

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Out here there is not any visible boundaries between public land and Historic land sure its on maps posted at the local town hall if requested but not everyone can read maps i can sort of just enough not to get lost ,one day last year i was on public land with my MD a large wooded area unknown to me i had wandered on to Fort Corchaug the remains of it a log Fort built by the Indians back in 1617 to protect them self's from the Dutch there was no signs no markers nothing just 200 acres of Historic Land preservation ,i was lucky i was caught there by a horse patrol who told me to get off the property next time i will be arrested . i tried the right way to get on there but no way its off limits to hunters period you can walk trails and take pictures that's it ,now i know how to read maps better .Dd60

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
generally speaking well known historic zones and places are real no no's -- thankfully you got a nice park type person who figgered out that you were there by mistake --instead of one who thought you were "looting" a historical area on purpose * -- since that could be a very major batch of trouble for you --- now you see the importance of --"knowing" where you are and what type of land your on. (public land thats "ok" to hunt vs historic not ok to hunt land ---vs --private owners land (always get the ok first ) :wink: :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
civil war hunter

civil war hunter

Feb 10, 2009
west virginia
Detector(s) used
Eh, I forgot to reply to your message you sent. I get side tracked with BandWorld , over 240 members.. Kind of hard to keep up with all the Groups, and people wanting to join..

I Never see coins like you had too often..

ivan salis said:
generally speaking well known historic zones and places are real no no's -- thankfully you got a nice park type person who figgered out that you were there by mistake --instead of one who thought you were "looting" a historical area on purpose * -- since that could be a very major batch of trouble for you --- now you see the importance of --"knowing" where you are and what type of land your on. (public land thats "ok" to hunt vs historic not ok to hunt land ---vs --private owners land (always get the ok first ) :wink: :icon_thumright:

allen

Gold Member
Jul 16, 2004
Shelbyville or any yard where the owner will let m
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I once had a Kentucky State police helicopter land behind me because
of an old fool who thought I was either breaking into the school where
I was detecting or planting some maijuana on the school grounds.
Either way it scared me pretty badly and didnt visit that school for several
months.
I later learned from a "friend" the helicopter was in the area looking for
weed and decided to "drop" in on me.
My "friend" is a state police detective and one of my instructors at the college
I am attending.

Digging Fool

Feb 12, 2010
In the Southern Pines
Detector(s) used
Exterra 70, Tesoro Silver, Tiger Shark, HH Pirate
I got permission from an old man to hunt one of his farms. I have known the old man for many years, but didn't know that he now has Alzheimer's. So the farm in question is right beside the Courthouse and Sheriff's office. The old man's daughter works at the courthouse. She saw me out there detecting a couple years ago, and got the cops to come out there and check me out. I knew the cops, but one of them is an "anus". I told them that the old man had given me permission, but the daughter said " I just called him and he says he hasn't given ANYBODY permission". I felt like a fool. So the old man comes driving up there and I was able to refresh his memory and go back digging. That made his daughter kinda mad, because she had started the ruckus. So sometimes old people can forget. I have hunted on this old guy's other farm for years with his permission, but it had been a few years, and he has gotten a little senile since then. It hadn't been but a month since I called him to get permission to hunt this farm. You never know what's gonna happen when you go.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread