Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Nothing worse than the fetid smell of spam at 7:00 in the morning.!

I am suddenly receiving "treasure hunting" spam from United Gold Explorations Limited addressed to "Friends and Fellow Shipwreck Enthusiasts". :icon_scratch:

Curious for several reasons, but mostly because I have no interest in diving or shipwrecks.

I use a different email address for each forum I join . . . because I like to know where my spam comes from. I have not received any similar spam on any of my servers (I host websites, provide free email to others, etc.).

I have also checked with other "justice.com" members I know, and none of them have received this spam.

Curious if Tnet is "sharing" or "selling" email addresses of members to spammers. If Tnet is doing this, how in the hell do I opt out?

Also, this fella has no "opt out" or "unsubscribe" notices in his emails, so will I have to go to his site and stir it up a bit to get removed from his list?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sounds to me like here got your email address from somewhere ,
but I doubt very much it was from the owners here.

do you have the email address it came from ?
perhaps I can check if United Gold Explorations Limited was a member here

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chad we are checking with admins, I highly doubt TN is selling but we will find out.

Try a Google search on your email addresd and see what you find.

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have started getting those emails also. Please look into it?

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chad, I'll give you 3 guesses and the first 2 don't count :laughing9:

I got that same e-mail 2 days ago in my AOL account which is conveniently linked to my T-Net account. Got zilch, nada, zippo, on my yahoo account :laughing7:

Either that, or they are pulling our names out of a hat.

Gotta love America, anything for a buck :laughing9:

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh yeah, today I got this one too

This Company Could Surge Very Soon! This Stock is set to fly. Trade Date: March, 6 Company: GOLD AND GEMSTONE MINING, INC. Symbol traded: G G SM Now: $.018 Target Price: .30 Another Great, Green Start. Updates And What`s Next. Something Special. We Were on The Money with This Company!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Per admins, TN does not sell members info.... Admins are checking to see if something has been compromised or if this is coming from somewhere else...

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I think I got one too, but I did not open it. Frank skull etc 013-1-platinum_edited-3.jpg

recondigger

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2012
Western New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
garrett at4 beach hunter, bounty hunter,CZ-5,CZ-7, Minelab EXP SE, Garrett ACE-150, E-Trac, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got one also that wants me to invest in a salvage company that is trying to recover gold and silver from a wreak.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A lot of these spammers are pretty sophisticated.....unless you have heavy duty anti spyware, firewalls, etc.....they can track internet activity to pretty much any site you can imagine.....we've had a few issues from the Canadian site also.....and we share nada with other parties insofar as member info is concerned. There's something call spy bots.....pretty much robotic programs that can harvest tons of info off the net.....user beware.

Regards + HH

Bill

LuckyThirteen08

Sep 17, 2012
Grundy VA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4, Teknetics Delta 4000,Teknetics Omega 8000,Teknetics Gamma 6000,Minelab Pro-Find 25 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spambots on a public forum,Who`d have thought? lol

Comes with the territory though!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
main Parts of the Response I received.

We definitely do _not_ sell or provide in any form member information to anyone.

It is difficult to avoid these days though, especially for Windows users. Windows and more specifically Internet Explorer users on Windows are targeted by more spyware programs then any other browser/OS combination combined. They run in the background, non-intrusively and watch your page requests to pull information like email addresses and keyword tags to describe interests for marketing reasons.

Now, there are also attacks made on the website software itself regularly which can result in a perpetrator getting access to the members list, including emails. So far TreasureNet has not been victimized that I can remember and we are very diligent about applying security patches as soon as they are made available.

If a user has been targeted the best bet (aside from going OSX/Chrome) is to update your virus/spyware definitions and run a full scan on your computer. Using an email address provider that supports decent spam tools is helpful as well.

Hope this helps..

gldnbrew

Feb 16, 2013
The 1000 Islands, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro and ATMax, 8.5 x 11, 5 x 8 & a Super Sniper - Pro-pointer.
Fisher F75 LTD, XP Deus - 11", Garrett AT and AT ZLINK pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Got one too, just thought it was junk from one of my stock sites and deleted it.

LuckyThirteen08

Sep 17, 2012
Grundy VA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4, Teknetics Delta 4000,Teknetics Omega 8000,Teknetics Gamma 6000,Minelab Pro-Find 25 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
main Parts of the Response I received.

What are the chances they receive banking information when signing up for charter membership through the site ?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What are the chances they receive banking information when signing up for charter membership through the site ?

only if PayPal is selling names, Which I wouldn't rule out, IF Everyone was a charter member who
got contacted, and they told paypal what they are interested in or Paypal
bugged them.
and it seems to me most if not all would have had to posted in the shipwreck forum at some point, or listed gold or shipwrecks as an interest somewhere else.
meaning they were going by perceived interest ? which paypal wouldn't be aware of from here.

I'm going by this http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/shipwrecks/336611-united-gold-explorations-what-s-story.html that United Gold Explorations Limited
is shipwreck people

Last edited:

Backbacon

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2012
Da North Eh?
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oh yeah, today I got this one too

This Company Could Surge Very Soon! This Stock is set to fly. Trade Date: March, 6 Company: GOLD AND GEMSTONE MINING, INC. Symbol traded: G G SM Now: $.018 Target Price: .30 Another Great, Green Start. Updates And What`s Next. Something Special. We Were on The Money with This Company!

Those "penny" stocks have been used by spammers for years to defraud millions and millions of dollars from people. If anyone receives anything even close to the aforementioned e-mail subjects DO NOT OPEN THE FILE!!! Your computer can be turned into what's known in the tech world as a "Zombie" (This is no bull poop either). Once your infected spammers then can use your PC to distribute other spam to other people making a giant web or "Zombie Army". If you have already opened some of these files you may want to refresh your Malware software on your PC for precautionary measures.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Per owners, they have not sold any data base or email addresses, so email addresses are coming from another source.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread