North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any preference and why?

Dhs old truck is leaking oil again, after the $400 fix we just did.....bleck

so instead of throwing more good money into a very old and used hard farm truck...we are looking to buy a new truck.

of course it will be a 2500 Heavy Duty for farm equip./travel trailer....but we are on the fence for diesel vs. gas.

hmmm....

wondering your thoughts

thanks

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
I can answer in a couple of years!! Right now my husband is driving an F350, V10, dually, gas. Everyday, It's twin sitting in the driveway, but a diesel, waiting on the gas one to finally die. The gas one has well over 300,000 miles, buts that on two motors. The troubles with the motors stemmed from sensitive electronics that I guess don't really belong on gravel roads, :icon_scratch:(" But it's a truck!). If the diesel will last as longer than the gas one, maybe we'll finally get ahead :wink: I can say the diesel is quieter than the gas one, that sounds like a jet taking off every morning, as my neighbors can testify.

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Diesel fuel used to be cheaper than gas, now it costs more than premium. Sometimes a station selling diesel is hard to find depending on where your at. They say a diesel engine lasts longer but, after paying that much more for diesel fuel every time you fuel up, is it really worth it? Say your gasoline truck lasts 200,000 miles (you got lucky). If you got 14 miles to the gallon you would have bought 14,285 gallons of gas. If the gas costs $.25 less per gallon than the diesel, you saved over $3,500 on fuel. That would pay for 1 or 2 major repairs over the life of the truck. Diesel fuel really stinks too. ;D As far as I'm concerned, I'd go with gas unless I was a long haul trucker pulling heavy loads. Gas engines cost less to work on overall also, diesel repairs are pricey and less people know how to repair them. jmho

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It depends on what you want to do with the truck. If you will be hauling a lot of implements or trailers down the road, then you need a diesel. Yes, Diesels last a LOT longer than a gas engine because it's just the nature of the beast. Diesel used to be a cheap fuel but with all the EPA requirements on the refineries it has become a lot more expensive.

If lots of towing isn't in it's future then look for a truck to convert to propane. Cleaner than diesel or gas and cheaper to operate.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
packerbacker, actually diesel engines are easier to fix and have fewer moving parts. In addition, you do get better mileage because diesel is a slower burning fuel. :thumbsup:

I had 2 Mercedes, both with the 126 body.. One gas 560 SEL, the other 300 SDL diesel. Even paying a few dollars more for fuel on the diesel, I would run just over 500 miles per tank on the diesel, vs 350 miles on the gas. The gas is a huge V-8 engine.

Oh, the diesel is just breaking in at 349,236 miles :tongue3:

olroy70

Feb 3, 2011
gainesville, tx
Detector(s) used
Garret 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am on my third diesel. And last! Cant justify the cost of diesel anymore. And, the mileage just isnt that good. If ya get a big enough engine, you can still tow almost as well.

My last diesel truck failed because of electronics. OK, it quietens them, but ruins mileage, and sure doesnt improve them. My first was a regular, and I had over 350k, but the rest of the truck was a mess. Wish I had that one back a lot of times.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I laugh at the few guys at work that drive diesel trucks, always scrambling to plug into the few power outlets outside the building. Pain in the rear.

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fistfulladirt said:
I laugh at the few guys at work that drive diesel trucks, always scrambling to plug into the few power outlets outside the building. Pain in the rear.

Wow. North pole HUH? I am not sure my diesel even has a plug? I have only had it 9 years though. ;D

1 ton crew cab. about 19 mpg. Hate the imposed fuel increase though. Bought it about the time some bureaucracy decided those truckers were not paying enough to bring food to you!

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a plug-in in my car, but I'm not sure it's connected to anything :laughing9:

You're right, you really only need them in extreme cold. Even last year when you had abnormally cold weather for weeks on end, the glow plug only took a little extra time to prime :thumbsup:

3xflyfisher

Nov 1, 2005
In my RV, where ever it may stop!
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Farmer Chick,
I drive a GMC 2500, 6l and I get ~12mpg not towing. When I am towing (which is what I bought the truck for) it is down to 9-10 mpg. Wish I would spent the money up front for the diesel (17-20 mpg vs 10-13). I am showing 110,000 miles with no issues other than preventative maintenance. Diesels have more low end torque as well.
3x

elk311

Jan 13, 2012
Kitsap, Washington
Detector(s) used
Minelabe Equinox 800, Whites Spectrum XLT (x2), Whites Coinmaster, Minelab XT18000, Compass Yukon 90B, Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've owned my 2005 Dodge diesel 4x4 2500HD since new. Now at 75,000 miles.

Best average mileage: 24-25 mpg not towing (freeway)
Towing: 13-16mpg (about 11 to 12,000 lbs)

This mileage is for the Pacific Northwest (up and down mountains). Flat-landers get much better. To date I've only replaced the shocks and two front wheel hubs. Current Blue Book is $24,000 and I paid $31,900 seven years ago.

You do the math ! :headbang:

Attachments

• Elk 2009 Hunt134.jpg
    Elk 2009 Hunt134.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 376
  • Elk 2009 Hunt134.jpg
    Elk 2009 Hunt134.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 292
  • Picture or Video 124 small.jpg
    Picture or Video 124 small.jpg
    228.9 KB · Views: 437
OP
OP
FarmerChick

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am reading along and soaking up all the info you guys are typing! thanks

yea we are a 2500HD Silverado 4X4 with 180K on it and those are HARD 180K LOL (farm and camper towing)

We were about 13 driving and 10-11 pulling, but it is now more like 11 driving and 8-9 pulling now. Sucker is losing it use for sure.

2000 model...so going on 12 yrs old now and boy we have 'used this truck' many times over :laughing9:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread