Different field walked today.

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
Muddy mess in some places. A lot more flint flakes since the snow melted.
The one above the 5&6 (photo) looked great while lying in the mud, but not worked.
The row immediately below the tape all had different coloration, in spots.
The one on the left is white on one side and orange on the other.
The bottom row all have serrated-looking places. Probably just natural chipping. It is encouraging to keep finding these. It indicates a well-used area for certain.
As a side bar, a friend asked me why I like finding the flakes. I guess it’s the history. I freaked out when I found my first Indian Head Cent with my detector. It’s a little over 100 years old, and mass produced. These flakes are much older, and not everyone can find 30 or 40 of them in a day. So, I’m very happy to get them. It’s like fishing. You stay a little longer as long as you get a few bites.👍🏼
IMG_2614.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 10

robertk

Bronze Member
May 16, 2023
Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
White's Spectra v3i
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still like to pick flakes too, one so I don’t find the same ones over and over, two I’m already bending over to see if it’s a flake or buried point, and three the more I get the better I can see what materials were common and which are rare or from far away and finally they are still a product of the hand of someone lost to history for hundreds or thousands of years.

OP
OP
Blackfoot58

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
I still like to pick flakes too, one so I don’t find the same ones over and over, two I’m already bending over to see if it’s a flake or buried point, and three the more I get the better I can see what materials were common and which are rare or from far away and finally they are still a product of the hand of someone lost to history for hundreds or thousands of years.
Very well said.

OP
OP
Blackfoot58

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
I plan to creek walk this afternoon. About 350 yds of mud and wet clay to get there. Should be good exercise!
I always get good polishing rocks and fossils at this site. Hoping for an artifact. 🤞

pickaway

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
Detector(s) used
ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep an eye out for tools where ya find those flakes im sure you do, should be some hammerstones etc, do you know if the area has been been hunted before? Your due for a smoker from there,

OP
OP
Blackfoot58

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
Keep an eye out for tools where ya find those flakes im sure you do, should be some hammerstones etc, do you know if the area has been been hunted before? Your due for a smoker from there,
No one has hunted it, to the best of my knowledge.👍🏼

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread