"dig em all" is this rule now obsolete with equinox

Wild Colonial Boy

Sep 7, 2013
the nearest ditch
Detector(s) used
equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As a spin off from IFFY SIGNALS iron discussion.

I just want to know if the old motto "dig em all" really applies to the new Technology of the Equinox

from my experience, It should now say "dig if you get a repeat solid number mixed with iffy signals"

I have to say I find the technology dependable and honest in regards when i doubt a signal with high tones but jumpy and still dig it is Iron every time

I would love to hear what others have experienced in regard to successfully iffy signals

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I pretty much agree with your experience with the signals. Still hard to pass on a 26-31 even if you are certain it will be rusty iron. Depends on how much time and how many holes I want to dig.

I sometimes still pull out my A250 when I want to cover an acre in 2 hours and want to run with the philosophy of “You don’t know what you don’t know”

rc2125

Feb 15, 2010
Indiana/Michigan border
Detector(s) used
~ XP Deus II & Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not hardly obsolete, lol. They are the most sophisticated dig-all machines i've ever had.

OP
OP
Wild Colonial Boy

Wild Colonial Boy

Sep 7, 2013
the nearest ditch
Detector(s) used
equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks

do you dig inconsistent and minus signals with out repeat solid numbers and get results?

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
IMHO: With all of the variables we encounter in the field (farm fields, woods), for me I dig everything (only being selective in sensitive areas; i.e. groomed properties...etc.!

A Morgan dollar that appeared to be a large soda or aluminum junk object (dig a lot of junk in the farm fields) by sound [sounded thin and squishy] turned out to be a very nice find. Metal detectors are machines that cannot be trusted 100% on target ID, depth...etc. You really never know unless you dig.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amergin, if you get too picky you'll leave stuff behind, especially when relic hunting. And the Equinox is not exempt. Neither is my XP Deus. I just dug a Mercury dime that was deep in horrible mineralized ground with the Deus, and was an awful tone. It was next to a broken old horseshoe. Most folks probably would have skipped it. Now if you are just a cherry picker type of digger, then by all means jack that discrimination up and only dig the higher tones.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I dig deep coins every hunt that range from foil to mid to high 30's. Usually deeper wheaties and copper pennies. Most of the time the audio never changes just the TID.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In 2017, or late 2016, time flies, I was digging with a group at a 1700's site. They had been there before, I had not. There were quite a few aluminum cans around the old building. I dug some up and worse than that, larger pieces of aluminum siding that had been bent into smaller shapes, so they presented as good targets. One of the "cans" was extremely shallow, like less than 2". I dug it anyway, I'm not sure if I was a glutton for aluminum punishment or what, but it was a cast brass Revolutionary War cross belt plate. So my motto is dig it all, let God sort it out. My other favorite saying is miss it by an inch, miss it by a mile.

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't have an Equinox but after having found 7 sterling silver forks in a city park with my Exterra I can't help but dig iffy signals. And wonder what they would sound like 6" below the surface under an Equinox.strange shapes make strange sounds.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think which machine you use matters a whole lot in this scenario. Since I mainly relic hunt, I dig iffy stuff.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always dig iffy signals. Don't ever have to wonder what I'm leaving behind that way ! Sometimes they are good signals, and sometimes they are bad, but the exercise is always good !

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
IMHO: With all of the variables we encounter in the field (farm fields, woods), for me I dig everything (only being selective in sensitive areas; i.e. groomed properties...etc.!

A Morgan dollar that appeared to be a large soda or aluminum junk object (dig a lot of junk in the farm fields) by sound [sounded thin and squishy] turned out to be a very nice find. Metal detectors are machines that cannot be trusted 100% on target ID, depth...etc. You really never know unless you dig.

I have come to that conclusion also. Before buying my Nox 800 I was impressed by everyone talking at the time about how it really found targets among the iron trash using the faster recovery speed and iron bias. Well at that time not many were talking about the problem of iron falsing. So now I have a detector that I thought would allow me to trust my ears and TID. Foolish me. I am back to when relic hunting digging everything. At the trashy parks, I have an easier task with the 800 cherry picking since most of the trash is pull tabs and pop tops and foil but not so much iron. And of course tot lots and volley ball courts are a piece of cake, but then a bounty hunter jr will find anything in those two types of sites.

So we are still waiting for the magical detector that will tell us what really is under our coil when relic hunting.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I base my "dig all" on the locations History and the odds of being a great find,.......this being at the beach, or old beach and with any machine.

Like my Quot below...

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have come to that conclusion also. Before buying my Nox 800 I was impressed by everyone talking at the time about how it really found targets among the iron trash using the faster recovery speed and iron bias. Well at that time not many were talking about the problem of iron falsing. So now I have a detector that I thought would allow me to trust my ears and TID. Foolish me. I am back to when relic hunting digging everything. At the trashy parks, I have an easier task with the 800 cherry picking since most of the trash is pull tabs and pop tops and foil but not so much iron. And of course tot lots and volley ball courts are a piece of cake, but then a bounty hunter jr will find anything in those two types of sites.

So we are still waiting for the magical detector that will tell us what really is under our coil when relic hunting.

Lol, I'm not waiting for that detector...I just get out and detect and gain the wisdom of experience. Technology can only get you so far beyond knowing you have metal undetneath the coil.

Learning what the audio clues are telling you can help and that comes with experience.

Dig it all perhaps, but all iron doesn't false and lead backed plates ring up almost like aluminum cans (almost - and that is the key). What I do know is that applying iron bias to reduce falsing: a) isnt that great at preventing falsing and 2) is awesome at keeping non-ferrous targets masked amongst the iron.

The variables that have to be managed to give high certainty as to what exactly is under that coil become unweildy for the detector designer.

Frankly, I think I would actually abandon the hobby if all doubt were removed before recovery. At that point it would merely be a matter of how efficiently you can sweep your coil over the ground, turning it into the all the thrill that comes with a seeded contest hunt.

Some of the most rewarding finds are from those iffy signals at pounded sites left behind by those who decided to play the odds and not dig. If no one is playing the odds anymore because the detector removes all doubt, things will dry up pretty fast. No thanks. I am thankful technology gives you an edge but not certainty.

Last edited:

stewielouie

May 14, 2012
Virginia
Detector(s) used
MXT, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

If your skipping those pull tabs your leaving gold rings

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dig it all so that I don’t ever have to think of what I may have left behind.

OP
OP
Wild Colonial Boy

Wild Colonial Boy

Sep 7, 2013
the nearest ditch
Detector(s) used
equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all so much, as a novice I was trying to trust Equinox too much , based on early promises, it all down to experience in the end, the Technology can only take it so far

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In 48 years of detecting with a lot of different machines with different technologies one thing for sure, the only true target ID is when it is in your hand. I may have more patience than some since my first machines were beep and dig with little or no discrimination and I had no choice but to dig all targets. If a new site I may cherry pick for silver if I think the place will be hit often, but usually in a relic type area I just HAVE to know what the target really is and the ONLY way to be sure is to see and handle it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread