South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Typically I am detecting in the old woods where there was once a farmstead. Forests have taken over these farms 50 - 100+ years ago. Hunters leaving shotgun shells for decades litter these areas. I can easily dig 10+ an hour of old brass shotgun shell ends if I was crazy. They ring up as a mid tone in the gold zone. I disc them, but still end up with a pocketful every hunt.

Yesterday's hunt, in VA, park with woods near my hotel, couple homesite dots in woods. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1510675837.809590.jpg First target, rang up like a wheat. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1510675888.998244.jpg Then a harmonica reed, then a mid tone that wasn't bouncy, ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1510675920.184809.jpg I could not believe that there was goldeness in the hole. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1510676015.208968.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1510676027.593344.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1510676039.395972.jpg

10k adjustable ring, missing the mounted stone or element. I've found adjustable rings before, but they were dime machine variety. I wonder how old this is, what was on the face and if the pattern has any significance?

FYI, I'm still not digging all mid tones in the woods, I'm not that crazy.

Good luck out there!

Upvote 37

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
its not real adjustable -(but I have seen a few "real" adjustable golds"
- definitely looks like break is where it was sized and someone made a mans ring to fit a woman.by bending it - good chance it may have been an old class ring - the old ones had small school emblems attatched and got knocked off many times - it could have been some other type of emblem - but
willing to bet it was a class ring - good find either way

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Almost walked past a midtone today, sounded too good not to dig. Ended up being a Buff, your gold is why I usually dig them all. I love that ring, nice woods find, no doubt!
I tell people - dig it all - then less fear of missing something - I been in this hobby over 40 yrs and I cant count the amount of bad signals that turned out good - and the amount of good stuff that others left behind that they thought were bad
I found a thin white gold engagement ring with 1 carat diamond that others passed up and rang up as a bad tone on my machine too - but dug anyways
have gotten all kinds of goodies that rang off bad cause they were under or next to trash or were on edge or low batteries will make some stuff come up bad tone too - if you are pressed for time in a trashy area - then by all means cherry pick - but in spots you have the time or spots you plan on going back to
try and clean it all out

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Man that's one gorgeous gold ring, I'd take it to a jeweler and have a US $1 Gold Coin mounted into it! :occasion14:

Here are some other ideas for mounts.

Dave

Attachments

• CR9-1-crop.jpg
    CR9-1-crop.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 91
  • ACF1581-crop.jpg
    ACF1581-crop.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 89
  • CR84-1-crop.jpg
    CR84-1-crop.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 77
  • 14k-13x10-oval-carved-carnelian-mans-bust-yellow-gold-ring-size-4-below-wholesale-cost-888888940.jpg
    14k-13x10-oval-carved-carnelian-mans-bust-yellow-gold-ring-size-4-below-wholesale-cost-888888940.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 77
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice jewelry finds, congratulations! :occasion14:

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the Gold Ring.
I don't think there is an inch of soil in Virginia that hasn't been touched by the Civil War. The mid tones being discriminate out, just may be military buttons.
Good luck and Happy Hunting.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a couple of nice rings. It does look like something was attached to the top of the gold one. Maybe a cameo piece of some sort was set on the top.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
pa-dirt_nc-sand

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds! I'm guessing whoever had this ring either found it or got it from someone else.....maybe no money to have a jeweler re-size it, so cut it & bent to fit their finger?
No matter, nice gold ring!!

Iowa Dale

A couple people have mentioned it might have been a men's ring cut and bent to be a women's adjustable ring. Looking at it again, I think you are correct. The natural circumference is definitely wider. Cool observation, thx

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've found those shotgun shells have to be dug, discrimination will have you miss some good stuff. Ive found buttons and all sorts of stuff that ring up just like a shotgun shell. In fact I'm pretty sure my 1680 1 maravedis spanish cob rung up like a shotgun shell.

Phishfarmer

Feb 26, 2016
Petersburg Virginia
Detector(s) used
Deus, Others
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds. I dig mid tones in the woods. Shotgun shells being round discs of brass just have to be dug I'm thinking. If I find shotgun shells (and I dig plenty believe me)I figure the area hasn't been pounded to death especially when I find deep ones.

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II SL with Bigfoot, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've found those shotgun shells have to be dug, discrimination will have you miss some good stuff. Ive found buttons and all sorts of stuff that ring up just like a shotgun shell. In fact I'm pretty sure my 1680 1 maravedis spanish cob rung up like a shotgun shell.

I always dig a good signal in the woods.....especially after digging what I was SURE was another shotgun shell turned out to be a Vermont copper! I like trying to predict what is in the hole, sometimes talking to myself out loud, and smile a bit when I am right...but happier to be wrong on that one.

Happy hunting!

Vldetecting

Jun 23, 2017
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max, Garrett AT Pro-Pointer, Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's an amazing find! I always dig the mid tones, and I often find many bullet casings but sometime I get better stuff, like a ring from 1300-1400 a.d! So you should always dig good mid tones (in the woods)

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No Idea what "mid tones" are. Even when passing on iron signals, it means you are missing some neat relics. I can't imagine passing on anything else.
I have piles of shotgun shells. One ended up being a $20 gold coin, others have ended up being large gold nuggets.

All I know is that I can feel confident every time I go in the woods to detect...simply because I know some people have rituals, methods and strategies (other than dig everything). Others are searching for something specific like silver coins or bullets. That means goodies left behind.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread