dig your nails

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
gpz (died in a fire. rip)
Primary Interest:
Other
5 nails, a musket ball, 2 lead shrapnel, and finally the one i was looking for. a booming signal, figured it was another nail. got the skunk off me. almost came home empty handed, that was a close one 1.16 gram nugget

20170715_111632.jpg 20170715_111647.jpg 20170715_112014.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ProspectorBill

Jan 12, 2013
Ontario
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT 300, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Other
That just goes to show we should dig all PI signals and never give up hope. Beautiful gold nugget! 8-)

OP
OP
beekbuster

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
Primary Interest:
Other
i am guilty of passing on loud targets, did it twice today, guess ill never learn. i can say my success rate has gone up partially because i there is no discrimination, therefor im digging them all, most of them anyways

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd hate to know how many tons of trash I've hauled out but plenty of gold also. Sure makes return trips easier too. John

spyboy3200

Tenderfoot
Jun 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, Newbie question. I am a relic hunter mostly, but would dream of finding nuggets. I live in south west lower peninsula Michigan, I don't expect to find nuggets here (Could I be wrong?), the rivers run with sand and a clay bottom. I have read gold could be found, but in tiny fragments. I have the AT pro, but I don't believe that would be sufficient for nugget hunting, Or what would nugget signals be? Gold reads near 65 on my Id scale. I really don't have alot of knowledge in the prospecting department. Also wondering what kind of equipment you guys use for extracting tiny pieces. (Seems hopeless and frustrating searching for a fragment. ;) )

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, Congrats on the gold nugget! We have something like that here. It's not gold, it's called "can slaw". No shortage of it either!

Obsessive

Apr 16, 2017
NW Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/MI-6 w/ HF/XF/LF
Tesoro Cibola / Land and Sea pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ooooo... shiny. Super awesome find!

OP
OP
beekbuster

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey, Newbie question. I am a relic hunter mostly, but would dream of finding nuggets. I live in south west lower peninsula Michigan, I don't expect to find nuggets here (Could I be wrong?), the rivers run with sand and a clay bottom. I have read gold could be found, but in tiny fragments. I have the AT pro, but I don't believe that would be sufficient for nugget hunting, Or what would nugget signals be? Gold reads near 65 on my Id scale. I really don't have alot of knowledge in the prospecting department. Also wondering what kind of equipment you guys use for extracting tiny pieces. (Seems hopeless and frustrating searching for a fragment. ;) )

this piece was only a few inches deep so the signal was really loud. to me a loud signal has no distinction of what it could be. the little pieces are much easier to guess. research your area, or areas within a reasonable drive. im sure you can find some productive ground. about half the gold i have found could be heard by just about any detector. i am no expert on the subject, but my best advice once you have located an area is to find bedrock and cover every square inch of it. it is better to stay in one good looking location and cover it thoroughly, than it is to do a once over and move on. i found this one about 2 feet above the water line of a seasonal creek, im guessing it was at the head of a sluice, judging by the pile of nails and the wash coming off the hill adjacent to it

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread