Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Not saying it completely Fake but I'm guessing if its a slow day they may plant something for some added excitement. The reason I'm saying this is due to the episode I just saw with the three cent piece, it looks quite nice for a copper nickel coin (which they thought was silver). Any of you think diggers may not be completely real?
IMG_20150819_163342.jpg

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya kno, I've not watched the show.
But if the coin you've posted is the one dug, then yea something smells like fish ��.
I've not dug a copper/nickel 3 cent piece, but when I do I reeeaaly doubt it'll look that nice.
Peace ✌

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
no,i think this is one of the few shows that is real.
brad

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Every "reality" show is highly edited, with many scenes "recreated" to fit the desires of the producers. If this means "scripted", then they are "scripted".

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Every "reality" show is highly edited, with many scenes "recreated" to fit the desires of the producers. If this means "scripted", then they are "scripted".

I have always figured that, makes sence.

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes it is fake how can you sat that they make all of those finds and sell their stuff at just a high price. I have been detecting for over 30 yrs and I do detect private land and have never found items that I can sell for hundred of dollars. Only thing that I have found that would bring me over a hundred dollar would be a diamond ring that was found in the water.

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
yes it is fake how can you sat that they make all of those finds and sell their stuff at just a high price. I have been detecting for over 30 yrs and I do detect private land and have never found items that I can sell for hundred of dollars. Only thing that I have found that would bring me over a hundred dollar would be a diamond ring that was found in the water.

It depends on the site I guess, for the diggers, I think if they don't find much they may plant some stuff to make the show more entertaining. Many of the find finds look real, some are a little suspicious though. I recently saw a beautiful seated dime on the table at the end which they never mentioned, they focused more on other things, not sure why. I also find it funny that at the end out of all the items the archeologist only cares about the finds found on the show and does not mention any of the rest of the finds shown on the table that were not found on the show. I guess it would be confusing for the viewers to listen to the guy talk about finds not shown when found though. Considering that there is only 30 minutes in a show they can't show everything.

Also, Good link Joel, looks like I missed that thread. I guess im not the only one who noticed the three cent piece and thought it looked odd.

Sorry for any poor/choppy writing and bad grammer. I hate writing stuff on my cell phone, especially anything over four words ;)

Meucci

Aug 8, 2015
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the show is more real than most other reality shows. I think they might use some items they find with cleaned items though. I love the show and their enthusiasm for finding history though.

JOe L

Aug 24, 2007
Colonie, NY , That's around Albany
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Remember all my fine friends, even though its reality TV, its still TV. They have to sell, sell, sell.
Now, how many NON treasure hunters out there would watch if they keep coming up "blank", and the advertisers know this.
I am not a big watcher of the show, I think its to theatrical, and sometimes I do question myself, is it helping our hobby, or hurting.
But, if you like it, good for you. Its entertainment.

Last edited:

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Of-Course most of it is scripted like all the "reality" shows, Come on people...........It's all about ratings.

cladHatter

Oct 20, 2011
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not saying it completely Fake but I'm guessing if its a slow day they may plant something for some added excitement. The reason I'm saying this is due to the episode I just saw with the three cent piece, it looks quite nice for a copper nickel coin (which they thought was silver). Any of you think diggers may not be completely real?
View attachment 1201157

Uhh...I am not saying THEY are not completely real, but I am quite suspicious of some posts here and definitely some You Tube videos of these
"Golden Boys" who go out with their machines and turn it into a film marathon.
I'ts not that easy...not even on private property.
I think the detector companies...well some of them...benefit greatly from a lad posting evening mediocre finds.
You see some of these digz on You-Tube? I mean..at least act surprised.
If I ever get a good signal I am too excited to turn on my video camera. Really?

A lot of us realize unless you buy your way into private property, you are going to hunt for hours to turn up one keeper.

I hunted a stretch of a popular fishing river for hours in which the banks were dried out from the lack of rain yesterday--not one keeper--
just clad.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They have said before that they sometimes hunt 3 or 4 days to make one show...they have never found anything of great value or anything that amazing and they hunt incredible places...there are better finds posted on T Net every day...so I think most of it is legit.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am guessing the guys have more integrity than to plant something that has not even been in the ground. Maybe it was dug, cleaned a little and re-buried for the TV recovery.
Timing on a TV show, is out of their hands, like finding what you find when you find it.

Would be a neat trick if we all knew where and when to dig, but a lot less exciting.
I'm glad there are people that enjoy and like the show, but I can't watch.
Maybe I miss the blood, sweat, tears, thrills, and disappointment of TH'ing.

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
They have said before that they sometimes hunt 3 or 4 days to make one show...they have never found anything of great value or anything that amazing and they hunt incredible places...there are better finds posted on T Net every day...so I think most of it is legit.

I agree, I have seen some people who find more than the diggers could dream of. I don't think there is much reason to fake any finds on diggers if they find a few notable finds in the 3 or 4 days you mention.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
I think the show is more real than most other reality shows. I think they might use some items they find with cleaned items though. I love the show and their enthusiasm for finding history though.

If the show is fake then so is their enthusiasm.:laughing9:

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I watched it 2 times and it was obvious to a 1 year veteran that the crap they dug up was not in the ground.. i.e. IT WAS PLANTED..

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I watched it 2 times and it was obvious to a 1 year veteran that the crap they dug up was not in the ground.. i.e. IT WAS PLANTED..
They have said in interviews that they dig the stuff they find but sometimes put it back in for the crew to film it.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
They have said in interviews that they dig the stuff they find but sometimes put it back in for the crew to film it.

Sounds like the restaurant I worked in years ago as a prep cook.Before the place opened,a reporter was there.She was interviewing the manager for a story about the place.He told her that they made all their own salad dressings.Me being the prep cook said dressings would of been my responsibility to make.One problem being is that I was never given any recipes to make any dressings so it was a lie.:laughing7:

postalgriff

Silver Member
Aug 7, 2008
Southern Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't believe that 3cent nickle came out of the ground looking like silver. I think some of the stuff is found and some stuff planted just to make for good tv.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread