Diggers...what kind do you use?

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bigcreekdad said:
and where did you get it ) ie online etc?

All of mine are homemade using heavy scrap metal. I also have a Mighty AP which is fabulous! :thumbsup:

Tin Nugget

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2007
Mesquite Texas
Detector(s) used
MXT F2
Relic shovel from my local MD shop. Used a Lesche untill I won a Mighty A.P. digger at the Chisholm Trail III hunt, now I use it instead of the Lesche.

Attachments

• SSCA0184.jpg
    SSCA0184.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 252

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I land hunt I try not to dig at all and just use a screwdriver to probe and lever the coin out. This doesn't work everywhere however. When I have to dig, I like a Fiskars Big Grip. You can pick these up at Lowes, Home Depot and many hardware stores for about $8.00

Attachments

• Big-Grip-Multi-purpose-Planting-Tool_product_main.jpg
    Big-Grip-Multi-purpose-Planting-Tool_product_main.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 256

steve from ohio

Aug 1, 2008
I use a small spade I bought from sears for 10 bucks. I dig with it a fairly large plug and am able to usually pull up the target on the first dig.

That allows for me to cut the plug apart and am able to replace the plug and tamp down the plug with my heel. It is amazing that I can actually cut such a large plug and replace it without anyone knowing that there was digging. It is very light and small enough to carry on a hook but large enough to get some pretty decent leverage.

I timed my plug cutting with that Sears spade and a Lesche digger and because the Sears spade cuts a larger plug, I was able to cut my digging time in half over the smaller Lesche. I've tried all kinds of digging tools and that little spade has outshone them all. I've been metal detecting for almost 30 years and I've tried everything I could think of for digging. The Sears spade is the answer for me.

And get this......it has a lifetime warranty.

cesarnono13

Jun 25, 2010
Azusa, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Ace 250
after going through diggers like crazy, having them break or bend I finally found my perfect tool. I carry the craftsman planter tool and it works wonders. not to mention that its guaranteed for LIFE so they'll exchange it for a brand new one no questions asked. I like the serrated edges on one side, the blade on the other and the Inches that are stamped into the stainless let me know EXACTLY how deep ive dug. also comes with the leather belt holster so all in all Im uber happy with it.

Attachments

• 07140106000.jpg
    07140106000.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 228

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Saber Tooth digger. Best inexpensive quality digger there is! For me actually the best period because price has never been an option to use what I want... and this is what I want.

Attachments

• Picture_3_212.jpg
    Picture_3_212.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 221

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
When I am looking in rough country like deep woods and the ground is mixed with little rocks, I have found that you really can't "dig" so I use a heavy duty 3 prong hoe. In this situation I can hoe out the ground and rock much faster than trying to dig with a shovel. I bought mind several years ago and it is still like new. It is 26" short and extends to app. 40". It's official name is [3-TINE HOE] part # GT3090 Corona. It twist locks at extended positions. It is red metal bodied with black "rubber" handle. The Tines are strong steel painted silver. You can probably get it at Home Depot or Sears, or perhaps at a garden supply center.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread