Digging and Digging and Digging

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Do an air test using a coin to find out where the center is on your coil. They aren't always exactly in the center. Sometimes you might find that you have detected a nail. Usually they will be in the wall of the plug.
If your detector has a depth reading meter and your hole is deeper than the meter indication, it is likely that the target is bigger than a coin, and is probably deeper than the meter is indicating. Most depth meters are calibrated to "coin size" targets.

archmjr

Jan 24, 2005
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1270X/Whites 6000 & 5900 Di Pro SL/CZ-6a
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey guys...

I may have an idea of what you are talking about. Certain machines are pretty sensitive like the new Garrett models you have. What happens is when you add the tone, notch and depth the machine will run into a problem id'ing deep Iron targets. I have this problem quite a bit with similar machines. Usually if I am coin hunting..and only when coin huniting, if I get a coinlike hit and it does not materialize in about 8 in or more I move on. In the past throught the process of elimination, I have found that it turns out to be deep iron.

Arch

richg

Jun 15, 2004
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
minelab products
I have a 1500 but do know that some really rusted iron comes in at the silver range. Must be something with oxidation process. Some of it is even on top of the ground and comes in at silver.

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have found that the smaller coils pinpoint much better. I currently use a 10" coil for most of my hunting and still have problems once in a while, but it is usually on shallow objects.

sherpa t

Jan 25, 2005
Ocala florida
Detector(s) used
Titan / Tesoro SLT/ Fisher F5
My wife's GTA350 is the king of false signals, from that experience you might think about 1) Tree roots - the wetter the more trouble 2) pipes in the ground , metal and concrete 3) concrete in general 4) electrical interference. Also the adjustment for your sensitivity may need attention maybe an ace user would have some ideas. The coil is active on the sides and top so if your in a playground or under benches it is possable to get a hit signal from outside sources.
Anyone you know or a club in the area to mentor with ???
and lastly if your not sure about pin pointing skills ... poke a hole in a cardboard sheet , tape a coin to the other side centered over the poked hole, flip it over and zero in on the coin using the poked hole as a guide.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's not just that partucular machine. I think we all go through that process once in a while. I have a BH Land Ranger and I can discriminate out all iron but ever now and then I get a 4" signal, dig all the way to China and find a big lugnut at 10"! I agree, I think there is something in the process of oxidation that fools the machine........I know it fools me! ;D I had one that was driving me crazy a couple of days ago, all kinds of mixed signals and it finaly turned out to be a copper .22 cartridge with a lead slug. When I am haveing a rash of these seemingly dry holes, I find it helpful to manually ground balance my machine often. Something about the moisture content in the soil I suppose?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread