Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I had to go babysit my youngest grandson, Casin. Now Casin can be really tough to do anything with, depending on his mood. So I brought my metal detector because what boy doesn't like to dig in dirt. So two year old Casin was not in the mood to be my friend at all until I said something about digging. I had brought a safe plastic digging tool for him to use but he would have none of it. So before his father left for work, he gave Casin a small real shovel to dig with. We went to the fenced in back yard to detect/dig. the house wasn't that old so I had doubts of finding much good stuff but you never know. I managed to dig about $2 in clad but the real treasure was the worms. Casin was pretty wild in his helping me with his shovel but when a worm was sighted, he was all business as he went for it. Casin would sling the dirt everywhere in his excitement and you had better keep your fingers out of the hole until it was safe. There were a lot of worms to find and he would stash them in a big plastic truck bed. We ended up with about thirty worms and then about twenty grub worms. Every coin was just a penny to him, the real treasure was in the worms. Now my deciphering of two year talk lacks a lot but the sheer excitement of his jabbering as he spotted another worm was pretty clear. In a little boys eyes, the digging up worms was what it is all about. In my eyes, I see the real treasure is in excited little boys trying to catch another worm. Treasure is where you find it but sometimes you have to actually open your eyes to see the treasure around you.

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 608
  • 20170905_140317.jpg
    20170905_140317.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 125
Upvote 39

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brother, that is a great post !! Casin sounds like a little go getter. Good job. Sounds like you both had a great day.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wish I could dig in my undies like casin does. Probably could with no problem in keywest.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Just wait till he gets older and wants fishbait , and the worm detector don't work!

( Congrats on your hunt though.)

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just wait till he gets older and wants fishbait , and the worm detector don't work!

( Congrats on your hunt though.)

You got me laughin relevent. haaaa !!

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
REPEAT AFTER ME . QUALITY TIME AND DIGGING WORMS WITH A SMILE ,MEMORIES LIKE THIS WILL LAST ALONG WHILE.

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds like a great time.

Electricbutter

Jul 4, 2017
Turners Falls Ma
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Treasure is where you find it but sometimes you have to actually open your eyes to see the treasure around you"
Well said!

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for sharing this, you both enjoyed some treasure

when the four year old Cooper is there, the competition for the worms can get intense. But with Cooper, he gets excited about the "Treasure Junk". Both boys like to put things in my pouch. When you set the detector down to dig, Casin will sometimes sneak around to help you detect better by pushing buttons. They both get excited when they hear the pin pointer going off. yeah, gotta find another cheap detector for them to use (I mean fight over). Those big eyes with the excited squeals will melt your heart.

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Next time, take him fishing. Good luck.

oh he's been fishing several times. he's working on trying to turn the reel's handle. A big Redear Bream will have him jabbering for quite a while. He loves to eat fish and venison so he knows what they are.

texjim

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2009
schuylkill county pa.
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites xlt,vx3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice story.. Now you can take him fishing and not have to buy bait..

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like the boy is a modern day Dennis the menace. You did good grandpa. Found plenty bait to cast out a couple lines..

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You create some of my favorite posts here on T-net. This one ranks about as high as you can go. Investing time in our little ones is the best investment we can possibly make. Sounds like Casin is a curios little fella. That's great as he has a grandpa that can teach him many things about life from a unique perspective. Down in the dirt. Thanks for another life lesson straight from the heart.:icon_salut:

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You create some of my favorite posts here on T-net. This one ranks about as high as you can go. Investing time in our little ones is the best investment we can possibly make. Sounds like Casin is a curios little fella. That's great as he has a grandpa that can teach him many things about life from a unique perspective. Down in the dirt. Thanks for another life lesson straight from the heart.:icon_salut:

Thanks for the kind words. most of us have plenty of true stories from the crazy to the you won't believe it. I just like to share what I hope to put a smile on somebody's face. I have really busted my butt and afterwards looked around to see if anyone managed to see it. If not, I feel that it was a wasted thing. yeah some things are embarrassing but still funny. when it comes to little kids, they do the darnest things. DL

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent post!! Thanks for sharing!!

Top Member Reactions