Digging in a farm burn pit results in 12 old Liberty V Nickels

wlb42

Dec 4, 2011
Florida
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Whites TRX Pinpointer, Whites MX5, Bounty Hunter 3300 Discovery, Whites Coinmaster Pro, Whites Quantum 2, Whites 6000, Whites 6DB, Whites Beachcomber.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Today used my Whites MX5 to locate dropped, hidden, or most likely tossed out by mistake a group of 12 Liberty V Nickels. This story starts with 3 Liberty V Nickels found by my son-in-law while digging in an old farm fire pit to move a wheel barrel of dirt near the bottom of the pit to fill a large hole at the base of their farm home a few weeks ago to make a flower garden. Then my daughter who is an archaeologist for the State of Florida, was digging in the flower garden, with the transfered dirt from the fire pit and discovered 2 Liberty V Nickels both dated 1899 which she gave to me. She was telling me this a few days ago, so today I took my MX5 to see if I could find any others in the garden area or the burn pit........and located 6 more V nickels in the flower garden, and 1 more at the burn pit location where ALL of the nickels orginated.........I may have to dig thru this huge burn pit and move some dirt and see if anything else is there.....Some coins were stuck together, fused by the fire, but seem to be in good or better condition.....I took pictures in the condition as I found them, but may try to clean them later, as my daughter knows how to clean atrifacts, as she does this now for the State of Florida as part of her job description......Happy Hunting!!

002.JPG 004.JPG
The top 2 were the 1899 nickels my daughter found, the 2nd row is dated, 1904, 1905, 1906(which has a full liberty) and the last row is dated 1908, 1908, 1910 & 1912.......9 total.....the first 3 found by my son-in-law not pictured as he has them at home and I do not know the dates.....will try to find out later on them.....Thanks for looking.

P.S. See my first cleaned one the 1908 lower left row above, on my follow-up post below.

Bill

Last edited:
Upvote 15

unfound

Apr 15, 2014
Western Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 350,
BH Tracker IV,
Garret Pro Pointer,
Lesche Sampson Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Holy smokes...I'd like to find just one....good job !!!

bootybandit

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2014
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21,
Tecnetics Omega 8000,
T-Rex 9.5"
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice coins! and having a daughter as an archaeologist is definitely a plus!

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
if you have too many, send one or two my way. congrats on the great find

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What a find. 12 at once.
That's awesome.

ATpro5

Jan 4, 2013
SW Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster,At Pro,Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd love to know how they got there! If they were in a burn pit maybe they used to be in a old piece of furniture.

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool find, you for sure have to do more digging and searching there.

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Congrats! :hello2: :icon_thumright: :hello2: Your family makes up a super team & you'll for sure find something else cool in that burn pit. :cat: Andi

OP
OP
wlb42

wlb42

Dec 4, 2011
Florida
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Whites TRX Pinpointer, Whites MX5, Bounty Hunter 3300 Discovery, Whites Coinmaster Pro, Whites Quantum 2, Whites 6000, Whites 6DB, Whites Beachcomber.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for all the comments.....Did a test cleaning on 1 of the nickels, the lower left 1908 one and looks like it even has some liberty left in the headband.....it was the 2nd worst tarnished by the burn pit.......I will clean some more of them over the next few days and post them on this link......HH to ALL!!

002.JPG 003.JPG
Note: You can click on the photos above to enlarge it and see more details on them.

Bill

Last edited:

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice V nickel haul !!

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a terrific recovery. Those nickels are tough to find. I would love to know what technique your daughter recommends for cleaning the nickels. I've pretty much given up cleaning Liberty head nickels for fear of making them worse off than they started.

OP
OP
wlb42

wlb42

Dec 4, 2011
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi terpfan......1st of all congrats to the terps on a good win today against the Orange.......impressive win, the terps were magnificent......2nd, I took a chance and cleaned the 1908 V nickel with my own cleaning style (not recommended for most coins found in the ground)....but these coins looked like they were protected by whatever they were in, and had a good nonporus surface.....but 3rd, I will ask my daughter, Heidi, in a few minutes on professional cleaning, as they are coming up to fix my wife and I a BBQ dinner on my grill, while we watch the FSU game later. My daughter graduated from FSU with Charlie Ward back in 1994.....and Last.....hope the Seminoles are up to playing without Winston.......

Good Luck and Happy Hunting
Bill

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions