Digging in right spots?

Sluicer

Apr 2, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Helo everybody this is my first post on this awesome site have learned a lot just by reading past posts it has helped me to better understand the basics. So I went to a new creek this morning just with the pan looking around found some spots that looked good to me ran through a few pans and found none of the yellow colored metal that we are all chasing but did find 13 lead shot and 3 nails so my question is am I digging in the right spots? I would think that these would act similar to gold in the water column. Thanks for any and all replies

Upvote 0

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yes, right spots, wrong creek ;)

When you find lead shot you'll find the gold ...if there is some to find of course.

OP
OP
Sluicer

Sluicer

Apr 2, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay that's what I thought but just making sure thank you already found two creeks with color was just looking for more it looked perfect exposed bedrock everywhere lots of black sand but no gold in this one

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Bejay

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Central Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Garret fully underwater
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well you found the new "HEAVIES" deposit area. New floods/high water follow the existing stream bed/river course you are prospecting.....and sometimes fresh flood gold will wash in. BUT the old river bed/stream channel is where ancient deposits can accumulate. Rivers and streams change course often. The ancient deposits can prove to be more worthy of hitting good deposits. Sometimes the existing stream bed/river channel flows through or on those existing channels. That is where you want to explore further. It can be challenging finding those areas....but it is a a part of prospecting.....and so, as suggested, the testing/sampling can help further your "findings".

If you were watching the "Gold Rush Series" you can note that Dakota Fred and Parker were looking for those ancient accumulated deposits: The "Glory Hole"

Bejay

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sluicer

Sluicer

Apr 2, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everybody for the responses and i would be digging in slightly different spots but under washingtons laws your are not allowed to remove material from inside the "wetted area" until latter in the year. Also went out after work to a different creek and did some more sampling found a little color learning more and more everyday

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Gold is where you find it... :dontknow:

usher21

Mar 28, 2014
Modesto, CA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter "the Outback"
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Howdy Sluicer! You should be proud. Your panning technique is able. As Lanny put it: Test, Baby, Test!! Keep looking for the same type of spots on a creek where you found the lead shot. Good huntin' and lots of color.

OP
OP
Sluicer

Sluicer

Apr 2, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everybody going to a creek tomorrow that has treated me good before. Am currently trying to McGiver up a hand dredge right now and also taking the sluice tomorrow

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks everybody for the responses and i would be digging in slightly different spots but under Washington laws your are not allowed to remove material from inside the "wetted area" until latter in the year. Also went out after work to a different creek and did some more sampling found a little color learning more and more everyday

Ahhh, a fellow web-footed Washingtonian!

Sluicer, where are you located? As said, could be you're digging in the right area,
but the wrong creek. Let us know where you're at (or drop me a PM), and maybe
we can point you towards some creeks that have more chance of producing gold.

Even on some local creeks that I know hold color, I still have to test pan in a
dozen spots to find one spot worthy of spending the time to bring in the
sluice or Gold Cube and mine it.

OP
OP
Sluicer

Sluicer

Apr 2, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dizzy I am about 20 miles south of Olympia. Today I added another creek to the list of ones I plan to frequent!

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I am in Olympia ....its amazing how many prospectors turn up in your own back yard if you just look

OP
OP
Sluicer

Sluicer

Apr 2, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know I talked to not one but two prospectors today! Witch is weird because I haven't seen a one in two months.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread