Ryan5678

Greenie
May 12, 2012
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350 and Garrett Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been thinking for a while that I would try some metal detecting in the drainage ditch behind my house, so today I finally decided to do it. I actually did a little bit of digging at the top edge of the ditch a couple of days ago, but I didn't find a whole lot. Today was the first time I actually went into the ditch to detect at the bottom, and it makes sense that I found a lot more there than I did up top.

Here's what I found:

ditch finds.jpg

The picture's not the greatest, but you can see that I found mostly nails, along with a few bottle caps and pull tabs, some wire, foil, pieces of cans, and some odd things that look like they might be made of brass. I showed them to my dad, and he said the big round thing is used to ground electrical cable and the small hex things with holes in them were probably jets from a grill. I also found a small section of some fairly new looking barbed wire (not in the picture) that was buried at the top of the ditch, which I wasn't expecting to find. Other than that, I didn't really expect much else from a place like a drainage ditch, but you never know!

My brother and I would go out and play in the ditch all the time when we were kids, so it's kind of cool to see what is actually buried in there. I only detected a small section of it today, so the next time I have a couple of hours free, I'll probably give it another shot.

Upvote 7

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep at it, there's treasure out there waitin for ya. We call them things Acorn Clamps in the trade, yours is missing the set screw.

OP
OP
Ryan5678

Ryan5678

Greenie
May 12, 2012
Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ah, I can see why they're called that! I'll have to give it another go some time this week, maybe I'll find more of them lol.

OP
OP
Ryan5678

Ryan5678

Greenie
May 12, 2012
Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks, and same to you!