Digging out the dirt and then searching for the item later, anyone do this?

firebird

Oct 17, 2018
Central Valley California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With me, it depends on the ground. If it's real easy digging and no plugging or nice restoration needed, I try to get the target out of the ground with several shovelfuls. Then use the pin pointer to zero in on it. If it's nice lawn and careful plugging/restoring is needed, I bend the 3 sided plug back, test both plug and hole for the target, and slowly dig deeper placing the extra dirt on some plastic to keep the area clean looking and easier to put back in the hole, testing as I go.

Emil W

Nov 4, 2021
Central New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Deus 2
Deus
Deus Lite
Garrett Apex
Garrett Pinpointer
BH Discovery 2200
BH Pioneer EX
White's Coinmaster 6000D (have had for decades)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's not something I'd personally consider doing. But at times, instead of immediately digging a target, I mark the spot with a flag--the kind you see the gas company mark where underground pipes are buried. You can get them on Amazon. I come back after detecting and dig.

metrotec

Jan 5, 2020
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites, Radio Shack, Metrotec, peach tree fork
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There were 2 doctors and another person who hired 2 youngins (14-15 yr old) to dig where these "detectorist" hit a target, and stuck a flag in the ground. These guys were on a mission, find as many targets as possible and keep on trucking.
These spots were very H O T !!! Some of you may recognize the guys when I name the hot spots.
I-75 when they were cutting it through Missionary Ridge,Chattanooga,TN, and Wheeler's Raid off the side of Signal Mountain, into and through Sequatchie Valley, near Dunlap,TN.
Nice to be rich, even though you were using GI mine detectors, with tubes, cause that was about all that was on the market at the time.
We're talking about "cases" of Yankee supplies. Just let your mind go crazy on an 8 mile Yankee wagon train heading for the relief of Chattanooga, which had been under siege.Yankees would cut the reins off horses and mules ride 'em hell bent for leather , burn some wagons and supplies cause you just didn't want to get into a fight with Gen. Joe Wheeler on the side of a mountain.
I heard rumors, knew one of the guys, all deceased now.
A historical marker is off the road on West side of Signal MT. Be on the left going down towards Dunlap on hwy 127, worlds longest yard sale.....hahahaha talk about bargain hunting.
I still smile about it. mmmmmm,,mmmmmm

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
That would entail handling the dirt twice. Or three times.
Plus transporting it if allowed removed from the site(s).

A pinpointer reduces the hunt for tiny stuff. Enough the time involved seems less to my mind than hauling dirt and rechecking it and disposing of it later. Plus needing fill to replace what I hauled away at each recovery spot. Now I'm hauling fill dirt , and dirt to check later?

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That would entail handling the dirt twice. Or three times.
Plus transporting it if allowed removed from the site(s).

A pinpointer reduces the hunt for tiny stuff. Enough the time involved seems less to my mind than hauling dirt and rechecking it and disposing of it later. Plus needing fill to replace what I hauled away at each recovery spot. Now I'm hauling fill dirt , and dirt to check later?
Who's talking about hauling dirt?:icon_scratch:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Who's talking about hauling dirt?:icon_scratch:
Last line of first post.
"Would it be more efficient to just dig the whole thing out and then sort through the dirt later on?"

After the first line questions the wasted time required to seperate dirt from target metal...
How do you interpret the last line?
I interpret the statement as meaning hauling dirt away to sort through later. Not revisiting a pile of dirt at each my prior digging spots at a hunts end.
(Doesn't mean I'm right.)

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If what you interpret is correct, I agree that it would be ridiculous to haul the target and dirt away to sort through at a later date. My take on the statement was whether to pin point after every scoop of dirt, or, to just dig plenty (as in more than enough) of dirt to get the target out of the ground, and then pin point the pile. I usually prefer the later if ground conditions allow it. If the ground it petrified, I usually pin point as I go deeper instead of wearing myself out by blasting a big hole with a pick.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
If what you interpret is correct, I agree that it would be ridiculous to haul the target and dirt away to sort through at a later date. My take on the statement was whether to pin point after every scoop of dirt, or, to just dig plenty (as in more than enough) of dirt to get the target out of the ground, and then pin point the pile. I usually prefer the later if ground conditions allow it. If the ground it petrified, I usually pin point as I go deeper instead of wearing myself out by blasting a big hole with a pick.
Ahh.

If it's a question of inside or outside the hole pinpointing /recovery , It's going to be whatever works best for conditions and the person making the recovery.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since most targets I have found are under 12" deep, and I'm working in plowed fields, I take a full size shovel and cut a 11" plug out. Remove the plug, which is the length of the shovel blade and go through it. 95% of the time the target is in the ball of dirt, then fill the hole back in. And redecorate the hole to perfection!

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been on USFS Passport in Time projects, where the targets are flagged, left where recovered, so the objects can be recorded and mapped. Kinda archaeology, but hurried to an extant where 90% or more is still in the ground, for future study.
Dirt is left there- in the hole, and the object on top with flag....
Archaeological excavations are where specific spots are located, dug and screened, with 100% cultural material saved and hauled away, to be curated somewhere - usually never to be seen by public..., except museum quality artifacts.....

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been on USFS Passport in Time projects, where the targets are flagged, left where recovered, so the objects can be recorded and mapped. Kinda archaeology, but hurried to an extant where 90% or more is still in the ground, for future study.
Dirt is left there- in the hole, and the object on top with flag....
Archaeological excavations are where specific spots are located, dug and screened, with 100% cultural material saved and hauled away, to be curated somewhere - usually never to be seen by public..., except museum quality artifacts.....
Only dirt I hauled home was the time I recovered a 10k gold ring and the stone fell out and into the pine needle
cover !
Scooped a meter square area up and into my bucket, took it home and put the stuff through two different size screens - found it, but it was GLASS…!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread