Digging Outhouses?

SwampHunter

Mar 6, 2007
Samuel Watson's Old Place
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Tesoro Silver uMax, Fisher 1265X, Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Pro Pointer
I have always heard of folks digging in outhouses but never have tried it. I live in a small community where there are a few lots that have grown up in trees and weeds with remains of old houses and buildings. I have permission to search any part of town that I wish. Yesterday I was over on one of the lots and was just looking around to see what I could find. I have been here before but really and truely didn't know what to look for. I knew where all of the buildings stood but never really paid attention to what the buildings were. I knew there was an old building with a bunch of bottles in it. Recently discovering that bottles might be worth something I went over to check it out. Since I have been doing alot of research here lately on structures in this area during the Civil War I noticed right away that this old building was a corn crib. It is made from hand hewn cypress logs. I am not sure how old it is since it does have the round nails in it. Of course these round nails could have came later and the crib might be alot older. I looked through the bottles but didn't find any really old ones. While walking around the lot I found an old outhouse. The old outhouse doesn't look that old... possibly within the last 40 to 50 years. I know this is still old enough to produce some really good items so I would like to still dig it out.
On the way home yesterday my mind wondered to trying to remember alot of the old outhouses that I used to use as a kid. The only one I can really think of is on my family's land and the old house place where my grandpa used to live. This place is really old. In fact it's one of the first original settlements in the county. I know there is alot of history on that land.

Could anyone tell me what digging an outhouse entails, besides digging? How deep are they normally? How wide? What are some of the do's and don'ts? Any help is appreciated.

R

robert roy

If you decide to dig the outhuse you will still need to wear a good set of gloves, probably dish washing gloves. You will still have bacteria to deal with, even though the outhouse is old. Always error on the side of caution! :)

Regards
Robert R

R

robert roy

Check these sites out.........
TreasureOutfitters.com: The Treasure Hunters and Relic Hunters ...Subject: History, Metal Detecting, Coins, Bullets, Bottles, Buttons, Belt Plates, Privy, Trash Pits, Civil War, Artillery, Cannon, Sifting ...
www.treasureoutfitters.com/labels/metal detecting.html - 47k - Cached - Similar pages

privy digging Ringing in the New Year .In addition, we had decided to bring along our friend Dave Cutler, who while well-known for his metal detecting exploits is a virtual novice at privy ...
www.glswrk-auction.com/004.htm - 30k - Cached - Similar pages

2004For quite a while now I have been wanting to add a metal detecting page where I can share my finds, ..... "Oh we're digging up the old privy pit", I said. ...
www.privydigger.com/2004.htm - 124k - Cached - Similar pages

Hope this helps you.
Robert R

imafishingnutt

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2007
Superior Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Tesoro, Whites DFX, Nokta Impact Pro, Ace 400.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After trying to dig my first outhouse i was a bit upset that you guys failed to metion that its the old unused outhouses to dig and not the one on my Job site.........it was a messy job and gross i found nothing and the guys at work were all laughing at me .
one even tossed a dime in for me but i think one of the brown trout got it.........LOL
Just kidding

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread