Digging so much trash give me motivation.

Treasurehunter133

Jan 11, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So 2 weeks ago I decided I was going to count how many pull tabs and bottle tops it took to find a gold ring. Ive been hunting a park with all sports to do. Well I've found 317 pull tabs, 52 bottle tops, 25 nickels, countless foil and junk I throw away. I'll be updating everyone till I find it. What are your stories of finding gold and how many tabs did it take? I'm not going to stop digging them but hearing others stories might get me more excited.

Upvote 20

The Aluminum Monster

Mar 18, 2015
New Bedford, MA
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro, Tesoro Mojave, Garrett AT Pro, 5x8 DD, 15" NEL Attack, Garrett Pro-pointer, Pro Series 5x9 sand scoop, 30" Royal Compact sluice, 36" Bazooka Gold Trap, Gold Cube.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So 2 weeks ago I decided I was going to count how many pull tabs and bottle tops it took to find a gold ring. Ive been hunting a park with all sports to do. Well I've found 317 pull tabs, 52 bottle tops, 25 nickels, countless foil and junk I throw away. I'll be updating everyone till I find it. What are your stories of finding gold and how many tabs did it take? I'm not going to stop digging them but hearing others stories might get me more excited.

Honest to God, my absolute VERY first find, the very first beep of my White's Coinmaster, was a 10k gold ring with diamond chips, and the second beep was a silver rosie about three inches from the ring. At a beach, on the water line in New Bedford, MA.

You can imagine that I thought metal detecting was going to be easy, eh? Silver AND gold in two swings!

Welp, that ring was a looooooooooooong time ago and I haven't found one since.

I do like this experiment that you are doing and look forward to the updates. Good luck and happy hunting!

-Jay

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I could sent you some pull tabs and junk to speed things up. :laughing7: Good luck, we'll keep track.

cdickrun64

Nov 12, 2009
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
My eyes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am a firm believer that each pulltab or bottle cap we dig gives us karma cred with the detecting gods!! Keep at it!!

tokameel

May 20, 2012
Mequon, Wi
Detector(s) used
In 1974- White.
Now a Garrett Ace 250.
8/30/12 using a Zircon m40 Stud Finder as a hand held pin pointer.
Primary Interest:
Other
I am a firm believer that each pulltab or bottle cap we dig gives us karma cred with the detecting gods!! Keep at it!!

Wow! I need to get back out there again. With all the pull tabs, bottle caps, aluminum chewing gum wrappers....that I've treasure hunted over the decades, I'm due for a fortune! :)

tokameel

May 20, 2012
Mequon, Wi
Detector(s) used
In 1974- White.
Now a Garrett Ace 250.
8/30/12 using a Zircon m40 Stud Finder as a hand held pin pointer.
Primary Interest:
Other
On the other hand, I know that I got what I deserved. :tongue3:

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds like you are due for some gold. I’ve had pretty good luck at parks. I actually avoid the picnic areas, pavilions, fishing areas as they are loaded with pull tabs and bottle caps. Sidelines at the sport fields paid off best for me . Then I moved on to researching the woods around parks and I found most of my silvers and gold. Good luck!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm 54 - been hunting since age 12
Ive pulled a lot of trash
this is from one - 5 day trip
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/members/29748-albums4911-picture1448388.html
but worth it sometimes - one years worth of gold finds (not counting earrings and returns)
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/members/29748-albums1651-picture1207079.html
some were with trash - some next to trash and some from spots guys hit with high discrimination passed
them up as well as the pull tabs
I try and hunt in all metal on land - in sea --- try and take it all out - then you can hope you got it all
good luck

Last edited:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've said it before, if you get into the mind set that we a trash diggers & not treasure hunters, your do fine. My secret is just being very quick at it; beep-dig-pouch-30 seconds or less.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Keep at it! The Gold will find your coil. :occasion14:

IMHO: The key to digging treasure (gold, silver...etc.) is to dig a lot of plugs, as fast as you can. It's a numbers game. Also digging the tones that most will walk over will increase your treasure, but lots of junk too.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just dig everything anyway, so I don't keep a count on my ratio. Like Casper, I am also only 54 (and a retired UPS Delivery Driver after 27 years) so all the bending and extra work does not bother me (but check back in 10 years I may have a different answer) !

OP
OP
Treasurehunter133

Treasurehunter133

Jan 11, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_1037.PNG IMG_1037.PNG new totals Pulltabs-337: Zinc pennies-36: Bottle tops-55. Found 11 cents regular change. I went back to a old spot with so much trash in it and worked it again and have found more stuff I missed. Finding the ring helped boost morale that there may be a gold ring lingering around there! Does anyone know about the rest though? I found them in the same hole. The one says US 314 the other has a pig face and it's butt on the other side.

Phishfarmer

Feb 26, 2016
Petersburg Virginia
Detector(s) used
Deus, Others
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well I'm pausing to figure out an equation for an estimate.

Same person say... is married twice and say has a wedding ring and an engagement ring both times so has four possible rings to lose. I'm presuming you're talking about ring-pulls so lets call that a ten year span. They drink two sodas a day five days a week or ten tabs a week for 500 or so a year. The ten year span of pull tabs x 500 = 5,000 life time pull tabs vs. 4 lifetime possible ring losses. Now they won't throw every pull tab nor will they lose every ring but this is a place to start. For every 1,250 pull tabs a ring may be available.

Sound about right to y'all?

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ratio to me depends on the venue. At a popular swim beach, my gold-to-tab ratio is about 100 to 1. At an urban park it more like 400-1. Ball fields are somewhere in between. Tot lots are closer to 75-1, but the gold is usually smaller and not as nice. Some old sites that never had much, if any, modern traffic would probably have more likelihood of finding a gold ring than a pull tab.

OP
OP
Treasurehunter133

Treasurehunter133

Jan 11, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok after going on vacation and taking a 2 week break I figured I would update on my findings. My pulltab ratio is now 600. The park I hunt at has been hunted hard by people in the past because I've found only 5 coins. Today I focused on a 4x10foot area between the basketball court and the parking lot and in 2 hours I got 60 pull tabs. There is still more stuff there. I've found a lot of nickels though. I've pulled More nickels then regular change there and find atleast 1 nickel on each hunt which shows there is the gold being left behind! I can't wait to find a gold ring. It's been 2months since I have started this but I'm still enthusiastic.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Keep digging the nickels and pull tabs, a gold ring will get under that coil sooner or later!

Good job.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i feel that i have gone on many hunts with not much to show why did people have to rip off there pop pull tabs i have found tons if my vdi jumps 5 to 6 numbers its usually a pull tab solid vdi rings but ya never know so i dig gold will find you its in the cards

OP
OP
Treasurehunter133

Treasurehunter133

Jan 11, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Update. I've counted 525 pull tabs. I had more but lost them and will look for them but the park I hunt at has been pounded by other detectors. One guy told me he's found silver rings and $30 in coins. I haven't found a dollar in coins. They left the questionable tones though. I've been digging foil and zinc pennies. I know they didn't find gold rings because there is a carpet of pull tabs. I'll keep going there. I want to find one within a week. I've update daily. As long as I continue to have fun with it and enthusiastic about hunting the junk I'll find what the others didn't.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread