Digging tips

May 2, 2012
Minnnesota
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter TK4 Tracker IV Metal Detector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys!

I'm a newcomer in the hobby (See: Obsession) and I was wanting a few tips.
1) As you can see from my metal detector choice, I didn't have much money to spend on one. However, I did read a few reviews on this one I purchased and I've been told it is a good starting out model. So far I haven't had much trouble with it other then trying to figure out the sound differences. (Occasionally it'll sound solid and be junk, or sound choppy and be a coin) Any tips?
2) With the plug -- I've yet to pick up a Pin Pointer, and have been trying to find one affordable. In the mean time however, I find it hard to find the object I am digging. Usually I find the signal, then go back over it a few times to try and pin point it then dig a small to medium size plug around it. Then comes and task of finding out where it is in the plug. Any tips? Also because I usually end up having to cut the plug up I end up struggling filling the hole back in. I still do fill it back in, but I would like to be able to leave a solid plug and make the ground look nice. (Can't be making people think I am sloppy..)
3) Any tips on digging in wood chips? Some parks around my area don't have sand, but have wood chips. I've been digging with my hands but its a pain once you get deep enough.

Thanks for any help!

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lots of hours of detecting will help. One day you'll realize that you've become aware of slight variation in the detector's tone and what it likely means. Sometimes coins will sound like junk when they're on edge or tilted. The fact that you are finding the target in the plug is a good sign that you're getting that down even though final retrieval can be a bit tedious without a pinpointer. Try prying and feeling up from the bottom of the plug. Also you might try using a probe to feel for the coin before digging the plug, but be careful to use something with a blunt tip so as not to scratch. Often on shallow coins one can flip them out of the soil with a screwdriver and not need to plug. As to the wood chips, it's a pain when you have to pull a lot out of a hole. Again, this is a situation that a pin pointer often helps, but if the target is fairly deep I end up just using my hands.
Hope this is helpful
luvsdux

OP
OP
T
May 2, 2012
Minnnesota
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lots of hours of detecting will help. One day you'll realize that you've become aware of slight variation in the detector's tone and what it likely means. Sometimes coins will sound like junk when they're on edge or tilted. The fact that you are finding the target in the plug is a good sign that you're getting that down even though final retrieval can be a bit tedious without a pinpointer. Try prying and feeling up from the bottom of the plug. Also you might try using a probe to feel for the coin before digging the plug, but be careful to use something with a blunt tip so as not to scratch. Often on shallow coins one can flip them out of the soil with a screwdriver and not need to plug. As to the wood chips, it's a pain when you have to pull a lot out of a hole. Again, this is a situation that a pin pointer often helps, but if the target is fairly deep I end up just using my hands.

Hope this is helpful
luvsdux

Thank you! That is helpful.
What about the model I chose, anyone know if I chose well?

QuarterMaster

Apr 25, 2012
North Central Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT
Ace350
Pioneer Bounty Hunter 202
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently purchased a Bounty Hunter pinpointer for 30 bucks at Amazon it by far isnt the best but man does it save A LOT of time! if you get a shallow signal with your detector (2 inches, 4 if the ground is soft) you can use it as a probe then you have an at most 4 inch plug and you know its in there.

OP
OP
T
May 2, 2012
Minnnesota
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently purchased a Bounty Hunter pinpointer for 30 bucks at Amazon it by far isnt the best but man does it save A LOT of time! if you get a shallow signal with your detector (2 inches, 4 if the ground is soft) you can use it as a probe then you have an at most 4 inch plug and you know its in there.

You wouldn't happen to have a link for that would you? :D

Hmille10

May 8, 2012
SE MN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys, I am also new to detecting and i am wondering how everyone cleans their finds? Especially coins and oxidated items. I have heard many different solutions such a vinigar, soapy water etc?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread