Digging tips

banjonyc

Sep 13, 2012
Brooklyn NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, White Beach Hunter ID 300, minelab Excalibur II
So,was beach hunting today in wet sand at low tide. I was getting some good targets, but on deeper ones, I could not keep up with sand refilling the hole as I hit ocean just a few inches down. I could never seem to get the target as water and sand just kept refilling. Any tips on getting deep targets in wet sand?

Upvote 0

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dig your holes wider

MexGT

Sep 23, 2013
México
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030 & Stealth 920i
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
When I get into that situation, I feel like I should use a Stealth scoop, my stavr is 11.4 x 8" wide vs lets say a Stealth 920i which is 9" wide vs 13.5" long.

When the target keeps going deeper and my detector no longer gets it I usually do 1 or 2 HARD pushed scoops that maybe 1/3 of the scoop with handle is under the sand, I just lean it back with the sand and pull as hard as I can, cause they become frickin heavy, all the sand inside the scoop + sand outside in top of it, I do get the target most of the time when I do this, but then again I still think that the extra 2" the stealth has would help me.

Stuarbuckle

Nov 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a shovel on the beach(too poor for a good scoop) when I hit those "whisper" targets with my 3030 I dig 3 scoops as deep as I can go before I even check. It's a constant fight here where I am with the deep targets and the sneaker waves plowing ya over lol

OP
OP
banjonyc

banjonyc

Sep 13, 2012
Brooklyn NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, White Beach Hunter ID 300, minelab Excalibur II
Thanks guys, I actually use a stealth scoop but I think Ill try the shovel (ive used this before and it works), so maybe that will be the answer.

MexGT

Sep 23, 2013
México
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030 & Stealth 920i
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I use a shovel on the beach(too poor for a good scoop) when I hit those "whisper" targets with my 3030 I dig 3 scoops as deep as I can go before I even check. It's a constant fight here where I am with the deep targets and the sneaker waves plowing ya over lol

3030 and not a good scoop? not sure if serious... lol

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a home made PVC scoop which is great because I can hear if the target is in it before I disturb things too much (no metal in the scoop). I do a big scoop or two to get closer then time it with the retreating wave. You stand with your back to the ocean looking over your shoulder so you don't get destroyed by the next big wave coming. I rest the detector on the target and work the scoop until I hear the target coming up and use the retreating wave (usually) to wash it into the scoop. If it washes away really easy I figure it was most likely a pull tab but in heavy surf you can lose good targets easily. My scoop is a slower and heavier recovery but I am used to it now. If I suspect gold or small gold earring I'll run it up onto the beach so it doesn't get lost. My scoop cost $12.50 and several hours hunting for and cutting and drilling holes in a 15 inch long 6 inch pvc pipe chunk. Next one will be longer and less angle on the shaft (its about a 110 degree angle which is really sweet) . Labor intensive but affordable. It works well in sand and mud with mild oyster shells and is self sharpening.

bklein

Feb 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd like to see a photo of your pvc scoop!
Just yesterday I surely looked like a fool with my shovel trying to get targets when the water would come knee deep over me. My shovel is a plastic feed shovel with holes. It moves a lot of material and thus I can dig 2' in wet sand but fill in from running waves kill me. The target can be detected in the shovel which works great when it is in sand and you just hover the coil over it. But in the water you have to raise the shovel and contents up to waist level so waves don't hit it (500% success rate and arms/elbows suffer). Not good. I had a big metal scoop but it was so big my CTX would pick it up if I didn't carry it just so. Too big for wet/dry sand digging - a pain to either dump and scan with pinpointer or take to the water and rinse. I find the shovel and pinpointer scan is best for most my hunting but in low tide and low waves I should switch to a scoop. I think there is a market for a big nasty plastic one so it could be scanned - not sure what it would look like but it has to take the abuse and quickly release the material. I'm curious if any of you have tried a perforated shovel by seymour-midwest. I found one with big blade and small handle free shipping for $24 on the net. Can always put a longer handle on it and maybe make some blade mods so it holds material...
http://www.sears.com/seymour-midwes...rId=SIM Supply&prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

Last edited:

tcornel

Aug 11, 2011
NE Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, 17" & 6" coils, Equinox 800, Propointer AT, Stealth 920i, Lesche Sampson and digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check your pinpointing. I use normal instead of sizing and it helps -0- in on the target. If I still miss after a couple tries I use my pinpointer to check the sides and or the bottom. Many times the scoop is pushing the target off to the side or deeper. The pinpointer gets me back on target.

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you're using a stealth, and you don't get it in 1-3 scoops, it's not what you think it is.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread