Digging tools? Pinpointing with F5?

halgreene

Greenie
Apr 20, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Everyone,

Still waiting for my F5's! In the meantime, I have two quick Q's:

1. Does anyone have any tips on using the pinpointing function on the F5? Have seen conflicting reviews, and can't tell what people are doing from the YouTube videos (like, exactly WHERE on the coil is the "sweet spot"? Is it marked?) I am also getting a Garrett ProPointer and I've already bought the Plastidip to protect the probe. Why do people wrap electrical tape over the speaker?

2. I'm getting some standard metal (not plastic) digger/sodcutter from KellyCo that came with the package. But in watching people on YouTube, I really like the way the Predator Raptor 31C seems to make short work of cutting a clean, deep plug that can be easily flipped back into the hole when you're done, minimizing the "groundhog" effect (and hopefully keeping people from getting bent out of shape when we go prospecting in semi-public areas). Worth the $$$? Or just see how we do with the KellyCo diggers? What about carrying around a shovel like the Raven 25? Too heavy/bulky? Am I going to cut my toe off with it when I inevitably drop it? (I'm clumsy).

Thanks!

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1. Tape over the speaker reduces sound and also stops dirt from clogging it up.
2. I held off for four years getting a Lesche digger, thinking my long handled garden spade worked fine. I bought one last year and I absolutely love it. Makes it much easier and more precise to dig my plugs.

Beepin Husker

Feb 20, 2014
Husker Country
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, Garrett AT Pro, 2 Garrett Pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A Lesche 31" Sampson has just been added to my arsenal to go with my Lesche handheld digger. I love it! Something to look into .

Beepin Husker

Feb 20, 2014
Husker Country
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an F5 along with an ATP, in pinpointing it is basically in the middle of the coil. The best way to test to find it is lay actin on the ground where you can see it and go over in pinpointer mode and you see/hear that sweet spot!

Beepin Husker

Feb 20, 2014
Husker Country
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an F5 along with an ATP, in pinpointing it is basically in the middle of the coil. The best way to test to find it is lay a coin on the ground where you can see it and go over in pinpointer mode and you see/hear that sweet spot!
edit

OP
OP
H

halgreene

Greenie
Apr 20, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This makes sense. Shoulda thought of it.

olstinker

Apr 6, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It pinpoints pretty well. Usually right in the center or just an inch forward if the target is 2" or less. My plugs have gotten pretty small using my F5.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread