Digging up pavement lots, going on in Town!

Reverend B*IKE*

Jan 11, 2009
YOU CON
Detector(s) used
Minelab SAFARI, AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So a vacant corner lot, just got dug up and the pavement is all gone! This is right near main street USA.Can't wait to get over there. Also not far away is a private lot (fenced in ) also lifting up all the pavement. I shouldnt have a problem doing a quick scan of the corner lot. I am wondering whether its worth asking permission on the fenced in lot. Its not tight security I could walk in easily enough.And take my chances of getting kicked out. They do have alot of officials and hardhats hanging around during prime daytime hours. I could show up at quiting time, wear a flourecent vest and may look official? Whats you take?

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I think you need to "rephrase" your post.

ALWAYS get permission.
I take it personal because I work very hard to keep doors open for people around here. Many doors are open in these parts because of a great bunch of responsible detectorists.

Git yer permission man

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Remember.... if there is no keep out or no tresspassing sign then it's recreational tresspassing..... but if there a trespassing sign or keep out sign.. then it's criminal tresspassing...

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Down here you don't have to worry about it. 99% of every vacant lot around is fenced in and posted, if there is any type of construction whatsoever going on then it is also posted "this is a designated construction site, trespassing is a felony punishable by blah, blah, blah". It's extremely hard to get permission from a construction company down here, too many liability issues, it helps to know people. You know the old saying "it's not what you know, but who you know", well it's never more true than when living down here. Welcome to the cesspool of humanity that is South Florida.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
As far as the municipal owned vacant lot (or any other un-fenced un-posted lot of any sort), I never hesitate to hunt any old-town urban demolition site I run across. And I don't consider a few cones or ribbon (obligatory for any const. site nowadays) to be a "fence" :-*

As for the private fenced site that borders your bigger objective, ...... well.... go figure, you're asking on a public forum where there are people who think we should get permission before even hunting a public sandbox. So of course no one's going to publically say "just be discreet" etc...

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom_in_CA said:
As far as the municipal owned vacant lot (or any other un-fenced un-posted lot of any sort), I never hesitate to hunt any old-town urban demolition site I run across. And I don't consider a few cones or ribbon (obligatory for any const. site nowadays) to be a "fence" :-*

As for the private fenced site that borders your bigger objective, ...... well.... go figure, you're asking on a public forum where there are people who think we should get permission before even hunting a public sandbox. So of course no one's going to publically say "just be discreet" etc...
I'm not talking cones and ribbons my friend. By fence I mean exactly that, a 6 foot chain link fence is the norm for most vacant lots and construction sites down here and they are all posted. As for the occasional "downtown" sidewalk repair, well that's a different story. Maybe i'll take a week with my camera and give you some examples of what i'm talking about.
Unless you live here you could never imagine, remember this is Broward county Fl., when I say "cesspool" I mean it. Every worldwide misfit, transient, law dodger, child molester, dope addict, homeless, illegal alien, con artist, thief and scourge of society ends up here. I got 2 more years and i'm outta this place.
Anyway sorry for getting off the subject, if it aint fenced and it aint posted and it's county or city domain then go for it, if you feel comfortable tresspassing on the house prooperty then go for it too. Personally i'd at least do a records search to see who actually does own it. It's a quick search on your computer, takes 30 seconds.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
diggumup, yes, we get the fences around demolition sites here too (put there so no one can sue them for slipping on a banana peel, etc...). What do you do with a fence that's got wide-open gates? ie.: you merely push the gate open?

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom_in_CA said:
diggumup, yes, we get the fences around demolition sites here too (put there so no one can sue them for slipping on a banana peel, etc...). What do you do with a fence that's got wide-open gates? ie.: you merely push the gate open?

Not me brother, not around here. Out in the sticks with nobody around for miles, maybe.

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
If it is private property, get permission.

Why would you want to take a chance on being arrested for trespassing? Is a few coins worth all that?

If you had a piece of property and you happened to be driving by and saw a stranger on your property...... well you get the picture.

Getting permission is better than having to get an attorney.

Just MHO.

Ray S ECenFL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions