Jonzer

Feb 12, 2010
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Natural Eyeball Pressure
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hoping Tree or Neo could answer.
I've been digging (not my usual way to find em).
I don't know what I'm doing. I picked a great spot in between a field area where I
find a lot of points and the creek.
How far down do I dig?
My idea is to dig a hole big enough to sit on a bucket down in. Then I start
scraping the walls of the hole.
I've found a pile of flakes so far but no worked anything.
Am I doing this right?
BTW: I'm 46 and this is killing my body. Sleeping well tho. lol.

Upvote 0

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
I would continue to dig downwards until the flint runs out. The best method of digging for my aching back is like yours initially, I dig down about three feet then two to three feet across. I then stand in the hole with my sifter placed at ground level and skim off the top in all directions, much easier on the bones plus there's no mistake where the payoff level is located.

As I dig my initial hole, the dirt is sifted and if flint or other artifacts present themselves, I place a metal marker on the side of the hole with a metal marker, helps to keep track of the payoff level(s). Sometimes you'll find places that have two or more occupancy layers. I'm digging a shelter now that has 18 inches of sand between artifact layers. I still sift every shovel full of that 18 inch layer even though it is completely void of flint :BangHead:

It's hard work but on occasion, my brother will dig with me and we have no problem sharing artifacts with each other, two pluses!

Treefrog

Apr 26, 2009
cookeville
good luck digging, well I am digging my spot with only a 3 fingered hand tool, a short pair of limb cutters, (for the roots that slow it way down and hender ur view of the dirt.) I pull the dirt into 3-4 5gal buckets, then I stand up, stretch, walk about 5-10 ft away from where I am digging and sift there. I do not hold the sift, I lay it down and drag the buckets of dirt there then tip em over and lift the bottom up and empty into it. (so far no straining at all) then I lift 1 side of my sift resting the weight on the other side and shake it side to side and walk it up down slowly not straining my muscles.
I can set a pace and do that for 4-6 hours before I really feel like I need to stop. In that amount of time, I can usually move about 70-90 buckets of dirt, and most times at least find a couple nice ones at least and several tools/brokes. I never really lift much but my arms get an awesome workout. I'm in pretty good shape for 44 and have a lot of endurance because I climb ladders and attic and crawls a lot in my job. Not to mention all the walking plus field hunts I do from time to time.
The spot I'm at, I have moved around in a large area several times. If I go several dig days with no nice ones, I move down the creek 10-20 ft and dig there. I kinda move as I find more flint . I've got most of the area (since it is on a hill side,) where I can pull dirt down off the hill into a standing bucket sometimes.
The last few days I dug, I'm actually digging under the ground level of the creek, I.ve got about a 6ft circle about 9-12 in down. I lay my bucket down and pull from the walls into the bucket and try to fill at least half the bucket with bottom dirt too. so I go down some each bucket.
Do not rush, go at a pace that ur body can keep up with. They are not going anywhere. The more dirt u move today, the closer u are to em tomorrow.
I've noticed I find more whole pieces close to trees. of course those trees were not there when that tool was laid there. I think because of the area they laid there tools out by the creek and left em in certain areas and cleaned/cooked/prepared whatever for so long in that spot, that over time that area is more rich in the soil so the trees pop up growing there more than areas not as rich. that s my opinion of course, but for a fact most of the best ones I have gotten were in roots within 1ft of trees.
hope this helps
Tree

F

Felinepeachy

OMG.............Digging...........5 gallon buckets..................DIGGING?!!!!!

That's hard work any way you look at it. You guys deserve to find the good stuff.

I guess I can't really complain anymore about a neck ache from looking down for so long, walking through fields.

:tongue3:

OP
OP
Jonzer

Jonzer

Feb 12, 2010
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Natural Eyeball Pressure
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Tree. Very informative.
I think patience is the thing I lack the most.
I'm gonna keep at it....for awhile at least.
You diggers deserve my respect. It's hard work.

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Jonzer - When I lived in PA I knew some people who dug. They had a very good design for screening. I'll send you a picture / drawing. I tried it a few times and it was a very low impact method for screening the dirt.

Joe

OP
OP
Jonzer

Jonzer

Feb 12, 2010
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Natural Eyeball Pressure
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to you too 1320.
Sorry, didn't mean to leave you out.
Thanks Joe.
After examining my flakes cleaned up, I have two broken scrapers/tools!
I'm onto something. Goin back tomorrow.

Neogeo

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2009
Austin T.X.
I am not real sure how to dig where you are,so good advice so for tho....I don't screen unless I have to,no real common beads,birds or other small stuff here.I use a tarp with ropes tied to the corners.....Ya can move a bunch when ya dont have to sift.....Good luck man I look forward to seeing your finds..... :hello:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread