Diligence pays off

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
3+ inches of rain since Easter evening. Today 37 degrees F, snowing and windy. I decided to field walk any way. I found the assortment of flint shown below.
IMG_2815.jpeg

Then. I came across this one. Finally, my first of 2024. I don’t know if it was finished, but both sides have been worked. I’d call it a (biface) blade.
IMG_2816.jpeg

Here’s the other side
IMG_2817.jpeg

If anyone can tell me what period it’s from or what type, I’d appreciate it.
Regardless, I’m very happy to find more than just flakes. I wanted to take an in situ photo, but my hands were covered in wet mud. Thanks for viewing.

Upvote 11

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
nice.
I can see the mineralization on it.
the material is similar to what I find here in indiana
congratulations

CreekSide

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2023
Both could have been made by the same person. Right one looks more advanced almost knife form. Left is a true blade waiting for more work to be finished.

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You can tell if it’s a finished piece by the edge. If the edge is wavy it’s still being worked. A finished piece will have a straight edge that is thin like a feather.

OP
OP
Blackfoot58

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
You can tell if it’s a finished piece by the edge. If the edge is wavy it’s still being worked. A finished piece will have a straight edge that is thin like a feather.
This is wavy. Doesn’t look finished. Could it be a quarry blank?

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Along the IL River there are bluff outcrops of Burlington as well as flint in the creeks. I’m thinking your part of IA would be similar. When they got flint from an outcrop they usually hauled it away to break it down. I think they wanted a safer place to work. Everyone knew where the outcrop was and they could avoid conflict by going elsewhere to break down bifaces. In the creeks, bifaces were made on the spot. In flint rich creeks you can usually find discarded reject bifaces everywhere.

OP
OP
Blackfoot58

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
Along the IL River there are bluff outcrops of Burlington as well as flint in the creeks. I’m thinking your part of IA would be similar. When they got flint from an outcrop they usually hauled it away to break it down. I think they wanted a safer place to work. Everyone knew where the outcrop was and they could avoid conflict by going elsewhere to break down bifaces. In the creeks, bifaces were made on the spot. In flint rich creeks you can usually find discarded reject bifaces everywhere.
I rarely find Burlington flint in this creek. I find nearly all of it on hillocks in fields. The creek does have a lot of “other” chert (brown, orange, tan and some reddish).

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It sounds like you have a variety of materials. The Burlington must be the best. Why chip crappy stuff when the best is available nearby? There has to be a quarry not too far from your location. I found a bluff outcrop once along the IL River and was able to use a tire iron to pry out several nice blocks of Burlington. It’s out there if you look.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread