dime box skunk question

rcs

Mar 15, 2017
Western Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got my first box of dimes from my bank. They were a sealed brinks cube. Plastic rolled when I opened them and every single roll appears to be brand new 2015 coins. Is this just really bad luck that I got a batch of all new coins? Will I still be ok ordering through this bank in the future? It would be preferable if I could as it is convenient and they are very friendly there.

Thanks for your help
Ross

Upvote 0

DimebagDon

Nov 18, 2016
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you look through them for errors? 2015 dimes seem to have lots of errors. Watch for a tail on the bottom of the torch and small die breaks all along the torch. I even had a nice die crack on the obverse from rim right through Rosies head. I somehow managed to throw it back into the wilds. I have found a few with machine doubling from a die that was used way too long. Ghost letters under in god we trust, that machine doubling I was talking about. It ain't 100% about finding silver when you figure that a junk silver dime goes for around 1.25 and a nice error coin might bring much better than that. Keep your eyes peeled for that 1982 no P mint mark dime as well. Don.

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, coinmaster Gt Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's not bad luck, it's just going to happen often when you order dimes.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just part of the hobby. That's why I have tellers check and hold boxes for me. Also a good idea to ask for customer rolls.

7up2000

Jul 6, 2014
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Currently use Garrett AT Pro, Previously used the Fisher F2 for one year
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is the time of year when the new coins come out from the banks. Here in Tucson, I can spot a new coin box because it has the holes on the bottom and has a different color and size to it; I've learned this from experience. I try and spot a new coin box right away when I'm standing at the window so I can ask for it to be exchanged. I've not had a problem with a teller exchanging the box---maybe a little confusion--but nobody being rude about it. As for your part of the country, I don't know what you look for. Probably you will learn from experience which boxes will have the new coins in them....and be able to exchange them right away...rather than hauling home a useless box and having to make another trip to exchange them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread