Dimes and pennies

exnatomp

Jan 1, 2009
Yesterday I picked up a box of dimes and $38 in handrolled pennies. The dimes skunked me but the pennies proved to be better than average. I found 15 wheats(oldest: '30), a dime, and two older Canadians; a '45 and a '51. While searching the dimes I was struck by a question, "Has anyone ever found a '96W dime?" Does any bother looking for these or are we all looking for the same thing... SILVER! Thought I'd ask.

Upvote 0

Jack_MIghtyheart

Aug 5, 2008
NJ
Detector(s) used
Tracker IV and Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I think GMan might have found one once, but I'm not sure.

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are correct I found one a few years ago when I used to also do some error checking so I would read every date. For the past couple of years, however, I have decided to do the efficiency model as my time to search has become much more scarce.

bocephus

Aug 10, 2009
i hate looking through pennies. wheats are only worth like 3 cents. half's are the way to go. :icon_thumright:

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
bocephus said:
i hate looking through pennies. wheat's are only worth like 3 cents. half's are the way to go. :icon_thumright:

Bo

With you being new to this thread. Your comment is inappropriate. If you hate searching pennies Don't. I as well as many here would agree with the halves producing from a value standpoint but some have a hard time getting them in their area. and you need lots of capitol to do large volumes.

Penny's on the other hand are very time consuming but only require a small bankroll to acquire thosands of coins.

Lots of people here are serious penny searchers. They enjoy the sport of the penny hunt. Some have made great finds. Double Eagles, Errors, Injuns & not to mention the 2009's which some have made a killing on eBay with recently.

Just this last month one of our posters here sold 2 Penny's for over $250 on eBay and another found a roman coin in a hand roll. Not to mention another who sold 20+ boxes he got on accident when he picked up his order just hoping to find 3 cent Wheaties. But instead got 20 boxes of the log cabins and grossed thousands on eBay.

So to each his own. After a while when the halves dry up you might just find yourself searching through penny boxes soon enough.

Watch, read and learn. Don't be so quick to judge.

Welcome to the nuthouse.

Mojo

Shake-N-Bake

Dec 5, 2007
Great finds, every thing adds up to make a great collection. Also don't be afraid to search fed rolls of pennies they produce pretty well.

bocephus said:
i hate looking through pennies. wheats are only worth like 3 cents. half's are the way to go. :icon_thumright:
I just have a couple of comments on that statement:
1 - I search halves and I am currently at 69+ boxes of straight skunks
2 - 2 Flying Eagle pennies found
3 - 15 Indian Head pennies found
4 - a 1909S found ($125 value)
5 - a 1914D found ($250 value)
6 - countless other older wheats found in the $30 value range
7 - 9 boxes of "Log Cabin's" all sold for over $200 for a $25 box

Oh did I mention 12,000+ Wheats found
and all in the first four months of 2009

Do you want to rethink your penny searching

Jason

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I search dimes I just edge hunt for silver and for proofs (proofs are generally thicker and stand out to me), I already found about 350 silver Rosie's, 30+ Merc's, 10+ Proofs, 4 or 5 silver Canadian's, and a bunch of non Canadian forgin coins.

Pennies are fun and cheap to do and you may get lucky and pull a Indian Head, I found an 1899 earlier this year.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions