Dimes, Nickels, and Errors- Oh My

minkybodl

Aug 19, 2011
My halve boxes seem to run hot or cold even though I get them from different banks every day, this week's six boxes were all skunks which is why I also try to get boxes of dimes and nickels so that at least I find something. I did 3 boxes of dimes one day and the nickels came from 3 boxes that I did over the last 2 weeks.

3 boxes of dimes, 1 was a skunk, gave up 6 FDR's and 1 Merc.

dimesft13z.jpg dimesrev13z.jpg

3 boxes of nickels gave up a 1925 Buffalo and 2 dateless, 4 War nickels, and 2 Proofs.

nicksft13z.jpg nickelsjan13z.jpg

I also found these "errors?" recently, the two dimes both have like a double edge on half of the coin while the other half is real thin. The edges look normal. The one nickel has an extra piece of metal on the top of his head, the edge is perfect and not smashed, don't know if it could be after mint damage or what. The other nickel is nothing but one someone punched JESUS onto the back of that I just threw in with the others. Thanks in advance if anyone knows anything about the 3 coins.

errorft13z.jpg errorrev13z.jpg

When CRH finding bulk amounts of silver is good but, I enjoy finding the different and special coins just as much even if some might call them worthless, to me they are all priceless.

Upvote 0

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The nickel is a cud. Nice find! The dimes are misaligned dies, but are in mint parameters. Throw them back.
HH
enamel7

Numismaniac

Bronze Member
Apr 1, 2010
The nickel with the extra metal is a die break or cud. The die broke there allowing the metal to flow like that. They can be worth a few bucks if it's a decent size. Yours looks to be pretty nice.

Cool finds!

OP
OP
M

minkybodl

Aug 19, 2011
Thanks for the info. As long as it's worth anything I don't plan on ever selling. I'll even keep the dimes.

I found one of the last New York City Transit Authority Tokens in a nickel roll last night from 1994, one of the last ones with a pentagon in the middle. It was supposed to be valued at 1.50, good for one fare anywhere. Something else to keep.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey minkybodl, nice haul there, i love searching nickels, you never know what goodies you can find, thank you for sharing, also, those nickel proofs look great!
hh
buff

OP
OP
M

minkybodl

Aug 19, 2011
Hey BB, Yeah between Buffalos, War nickels, Liberty, proofs, and even the few harder to find Jeffersons dates there is almost always at least something worth keeping. They are the hardest to search and heavy to carry but I seem to like them the most. I wish I could find a few more of the early dated buffalos but I guess that is a lot of the dateless ones. I'm always scared that I will miss the proofs, struggle looking at mint marks, and then when I do find one they stick right out. I find rolls of buffalo and war nickels for every proof I find so to me each one is priceless. Good luck to you and HH.

Here is the NY Transit token I found in a nickel roll.

NYToken.jpg nytokenback.jpg

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it seems like i find more proof nickels from the late 50's to 60's than I do on modern proofs... does it seem the same way for you? (I do know about the S mintmark circulation strike and the proof strike)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread