Upvote 0

starkizzle

Mar 9, 2014
Maine
Detector(s) used
soon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i have found consistent silver in dime boxes, my avg. has seemed to be 1 per box, but that is 1 90%.... but it is also just 1 90% dime....

dime boxes are easier to come by..

i have found really good halve boxes, long run avg is probably over 1 per box, and even if it is only 1 40% thats more then a dime..

halve boxes are not always as easy to come by..

depending on your area it may be hard to avoid dumping in your supply with halves, whereas in my opinion that is not really as much of a concern with dimes because they are so highly circulated, there is so many more dime dumped and rerolled in the supply that getting back your dumps is IMO a minimal concern, halves however if not moved around much in your area can just cycle right back to you... which is whats happened to me

you can figure out who ships what to who, and where yo get your coins from, get the right accounts and maybe even have to commute to get your halves, and ifyour a big volume guy/gal that may not be a bad idea, and may produce good results, and may also just result in higher numbers of skunks...

i believe in the slow and steady method, it is part of why i tried to keep with the one silver a week bet to myself. i was doing so with halves but with minimal results and finding out that my dump and supply use the same carrier i stopped getting boxes, i can get dimes just about everywhere but going thru dimes felt more time consuming with them being so small, but i have a better feel for them now, its just finding the time period with 2 babys.. but i have found at least 1 silver dimes in every box, granted i haven't done a crazy amount ( MIHUNTER probably dose more boxes in a week then i have ever done) but i have only had a couple skunk boxes, and they are all 90%!!unless you get a Canadian one lol.. im still waiting for my first Canadian silver dime in the wild!

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Halves are a bit better in my area, but neither is very productive.

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I prefer to do dimes, but its just my preference. I do not like having to order halves and wait for them to be delivered. I usually find at least one silver dime per box. My average is probably 1.5 per box. I have been skunked before with the longest being about a 4 box skunk streak. The most i have ever found in one box is 8. I love finding Mercury dimes too. I have probably pulled about 6 or so mercs so far.

Another advantage to dimes is that they are a lot lighter and easier to carry into the bank when dumping.

starkizzle

Mar 9, 2014
Maine
Detector(s) used
soon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I prefer to do dimes, but its just my preference. I do not like having to order halves and wait for them to be delivered. I usually find at least one silver dime per box. My average is probably 1.5 per box. I have been skunked before with the longest being about a 4 box skunk streak. The most i have ever found in one box is 8. I love finding Mercury dimes too. I have probably pulled about 6 or so mercs so far.

Another advantage to dimes is that they are a lot lighter and easier to carry into the bank when dumping.

I like findin the mercs as well.. only found two so far but I haven't done that many boxes of dimes... I want a new supplier of halves, because I hve had good luck, but dimes are the turtle of the race

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
like said above, both don't really produce much silver so I stick with other denominations other than dimes and halves.

Bad Wolf

Dec 6, 2012
Carmel-by-the-Sea, California
Detector(s) used
Nokia Simplex+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
like said above, both don't really produce much silver so I stick with other denominations other than dimes and halves.

So that leaves warnics, quarters and Eisenhowers, right? And of the three, I'm assuming only the nickels produce--unless you know something the rest of us don't?

OP
OP
J

Jayanthonyr

Mar 12, 2013
Nassau County Long Island
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin master
whites bullseye II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the input. I got a box of halves and a box of dimes. 1 68 Kennedy and the whole box of dimes all 2013 d

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I gave up boxes of halves a few years back, tired of one 40% per every three boxes.

I liked nothing better than sitting down with $1,000+ in customer rolled dimes and pulling one silver after another.
One silver per $150 avg over six years.

ThePt78Gamer

Apr 28, 2014
Maine
Primary Interest:
Other
Dimes are definitely better on average than halves. You never hear of a huge dime skunk streak. It still doesnt hurt to try and pick up hand wrapped and loose ones from trays when visiting the bank though. Those are where a lot of nice scores come from anyway. At least lately for me and a few others on here.

exnatomp

Jan 1, 2009
I prefer dimes because they are cheaper and I find more silver per $100. But I also dabble in halves when I have time and energy. Gotta love finding that big silver. Basically, if you can, do both.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I prefer dimes: lighter in weight, fewer skunks( my dime avg per box: last year @ 1.6, this year 1.4 per box). A 40% half is about the same silver weight as 2.2 Rosie's. Also easier to order, more banks carry them, easier to dump back into the system.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread