dimes vs. nickels

schramm

Dec 25, 2006
Wes_ said:
it has been suggested that nickel boxes (war nickels) are a better source of silver than dime boxes (pre-65). I'm a little verklempt... talk amongst yourselves...

schramm

Dec 25, 2006
Wes,I find more dimes per number of boxes searched compared to nickels,not to mention the fact that a single 90% dime has more silver than a single 35% war nickel and they are easier to sell to dealers if that is the reason why you are searching for silver.

One other bonus for dimes is the fact that you can just look at the edges for silver without having to waste your time opening every roll looking at modern dimes :'(.

fiatboy

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2007
Pre-1965 dimes have more silver, both by weight and by alloy, than war nickels. Some people have great luck finding silver dimes. I don't. I have great luck finding war nickels. If you only want silver, dimes are a fast search. Personally, I'm trying to complete a roll of war nickels, but that has little to do with silver or anything like that. It's just a whim on my part. I love searching dimes, but I rarely---VERY rarely---have any keepers to show for my efforts, leaving me a little verklempt. And dimes just go too fast and there isn't much variety. Mercs are one of my favorite coins ever, but I get dizzy thinking how many dimes I'd have to search to find a few. At least nickels kill the ennui with varied designs and the occasional buffalo. In other words, I love dimes, but they just don't love me back.

Tabfry

Mar 29, 2006
Seattle area
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
I'm about 90% of my way through a box of dimes and no silver thus far. Nada, zip, zilch. My box of nickels, however, gave me a couple war nickels and a few older ones worth keeping. It'll be a while before I talk myself into another dime box.

OP
OP
W

Wes_

Apr 22, 2007
Score a point for dimes.

I'm on vacation and managed to pick up $200 in dimes and $60 dollars in nickels. Best find in the nickels was a 1979 Canadian (pure nickel, currently $0.23). And in the dimes...

A 1944 Merc!

Also two pure nickel canadian dimes, worth $0.106 each ;D

scotto

Bronze Member
Dec 23, 2006
My first M/D find
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Never got a silver dime while CRHing yet, but did get 6 war nickels. Hard for me to see the dates on dimes and roll the little buggers back up too. :P

coincollector101

May 8, 2007
I Do a good assortment of both to tell if a dimes silver you can tell by looking at the rim threw the plastic brinks rolls.
Nickles you have to bust and look at dates.
The Most nickles Ive found in one box is 3 Buffalos 3 war cents
The most Dimes was 15 Dimes 5 Mercs and 10 Rossies.

I Love Buffalos and Mercs
Its a Toss up So I Do Both depending on previous boxes .
When I Get dimes I try for 3 boxes Ill take what they got though lol
Nickles 1 at a time.

Chad

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread