DIMES

MIhunter

Bronze Member
Jun 29, 2011
Southeastern MI
All of my half dollar veins are tapped out! I still pick up whatever loose and CWRs that I can find. I am finding 3-4 40%ers a month.

My new goal is 2-3 dime boxes a day, 6 days a week. Hopefully I will find 15-20 silver dimes a week.

So far:
Sunday
Box #1 - 2 FDRs
Box #2 - 3 FDRs
Monday
Box #1 skunk
Box #2 1 FDR
Tuesday
Box #1 4 FDRs and 1x1968 Canadian (50% Ag)
Box #2 1 FDR
Box #3 1 Merc (1944)
Wed
Box #1 skunk
Box #2 skunk
Thurs
Box #1 shunk
Box #2 2 FDRs
Box #3 shunk

Totals: 14 US silver dimes and one 50% Canadian dime

Upvote 2
OP
OP
M

MIhunter

Bronze Member
Jun 29, 2011
Southeastern MI
OP
OP
M

MIhunter

Bronze Member
Jun 29, 2011
Southeastern MI
Sunday
Dimes
CWR $250: 1953D

Nickels
CWR $50: 1938D, 1943P

Penny
CWR $25
1940s Wheats: 8
1950s Wheats: 2
Canadian: QEII 1956, QEII 1960-4: 6, 1965-79: 32

OP
OP
M

MIhunter

Bronze Member
Jun 29, 2011
Southeastern MI
Tuesday
Dimes
Loomis Box #1: skunk
Loomis Box #2: 1953D, 1964
Loomis Box #3: 1964, 1964D
CWR $250: 1964
CWR $120: skunk

Nickels
CWR $60: skunk

Halves
$16 loose: skunk

44_Dimes

Jul 13, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Man you continue to have a really nice average for dimes. If I had your average I might of already filled my first roll...

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
Upper Michigan near the pinkie Tally,

1 box of dimes, skunk. went to 2 other banks and neither would sell me a box of dimes or take my coin. Talk about banks refusing good american money.

Hugs and Smiles,
Garoulady

OP
OP
M

MIhunter

Bronze Member
Jun 29, 2011
Southeastern MI
Sunday
Dimes CWR $35: Skunk
Pennies CWR $5: Canadian 1962, 1966, 1975
That was I could get on Sunday

Monday
Dimes
Loomis Box #1: 1964, Australian 1 cent
Loomis Box #2: 1958D(holed), 1962D, 1964D

Halves
$11 loose halves: skunk

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
MIhunter,

Just out of curiousity are you close to the canadian border? Have you thought about buying boxes of canadian quarters or dimes and try CRHing them? I was kinda tossing that idea around but I don't have access at this time to get rolls of canooks.

Hugs and smiles,
Garoulady

OP
OP
M

MIhunter

Bronze Member
Jun 29, 2011
Southeastern MI
I am very close to the Canada
I do go from time to time to Canada to search coins for my collection.
It cost me $8 to cross (tunnel).
My best score was in nickels, I once found 27 King George V Canadian nickels (1922-36).
I have found more Canadian silver dimes in the US (35) than in Canada (3).
I have never found a silver Canadian quarter, half or dollar
The only King George V penny that I have found was in the US (1933)

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
ok, Now I am jealous. LOL. =) I haven't had snot for luck when it comes to finding more canadian silver. I ask at banks if they have a bin for canadian coins or a junk bin for foreign coins and they look at me like I am nuts. ::shrugs:: eh, guess I am the only one who thinks that would be a good idea. see a coin, throw it in a bin and replace it with a american one. For the past two weeks I have been looking for any silver or canadian with no luck whatsoever. I haven't been able to get another box of dimes because I haven't been able to get to my dump bank to dump my dimes. and I can't even dump the whole 250. The counter only goes to 200 dollars. Talk about small change. Luckily I have an extra 700. Normally this would be used to fill our propane tank, but right now I can turn in 200 in dimes, then use 50 in order to get another box of dimes. I need to get to my other bank and pick up hopefully a good box of dimes. I am thinking about asking for CWRs while I am at it. What has your luck been with CWRs in michigan?

Hugs and Smiles,
Garoulady

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
GarouLady said:
MIhunter,

Just out of curiousity are you close to the canadian border? Have you thought about buying boxes of canadian quarters or dimes and try CRHing them? I was kinda tossing that idea around but I don't have access at this time to get rolls of canooks.

Hugs and smiles,
Garoulady

I think my best chance for Canadian silver comes from American cwr. People like to get rid of the Canadian when they roll but I think many/ most aren't knowledgeable about what Canadian is silver. For me though, when I see the young queen or king George, it's the same as spotting a merc. No checking of date required. HH

RobbyD49

Jul 5, 2012
SE Michigan
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There a bunch of CRH's from Michigan on TNet, or maybe they're just the profiles I've noticed. Found my first Ag CAN Dime 1965 in a brinks box (yes, brinks) over the weekend. Michigan hunters have to be the craziest people when it comes to dimes. How many times does your heart jump from those stupid CAN dimes? Solid edges of crap!

I've thought buying nickels across the border, to sort out the 99.9% Ni coins. I'd heard that the canadian mint was culling 99.9% Ni coins from circulation, so who knows? what kind of numbers do people get in each Canadian Nickel box? Are you dumping back in Canada? I rarely find the pure CAN nickels in MWR american rolls, but find them all the time in CWR american nickel rolls. I think its because coinstars and counters kick out the pure nickels, so people end up putting them in CWRs. Just my 2 cents.

Great thread MIhunter! I constantly anticipate your updates to compare my finds. CWR Dimes rolls have been terrible by me lately, but I mostly do nickels anyways.

Wilmingtonsilver

Sep 6, 2012
SE North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ok, Now I am jealous. LOL. =) I haven't had snot for luck when it comes to finding more canadian silver. I ask at banks if they have a bin for canadian coins or a junk bin for foreign coins and they look at me like I am nuts. ::shrugs:: eh, guess I am the only one who thinks that would be a good idea. see a coin, throw it in a bin and replace it with a american one. For the past two weeks I have been looking for any silver or canadian with no luck whatsoever. I haven't been able to get another box of dimes because I haven't been able to get to my dump bank to dump my dimes. and I can't even dump the whole 250. The counter only goes to 200 dollars. Talk about small change. Luckily I have an extra 700. Normally this would be used to fill our propane tank, but right now I can turn in 200 in dimes, then use 50 in order to get another box of dimes. I need to get to my other bank and pick up hopefully a good box of dimes. I am thinking about asking for CWRs while I am at it. What has your luck been with CWRs in michigan?

Hugs and Smiles,
Garoulady

Take your rolled dimes to any other bank in town and you should be able to get bills back for them. Dimes, quarters, nickles, and pennies are heavily circulated, as opposed to halves, and most banks will buy them from you so they don't have to order them from the coin companies.

As far as looking at you like you are nuts, I bet they did. lol If you think about how much their job depends on their till being correct and balanced, at any time of the day, I am sure the idea of a bin for "junk" coins or foreign is ghastly to them. Keep in mind they aren't a coin shop, so there are no "junk" coins to them. I know that a cashier is responsible for the money in their till to a couple dollars of overages/underages, but a bank teller is responsible to a much smaller discrepancy.

OP
OP
M

MIhunter

Bronze Member
Jun 29, 2011
Southeastern MI
There are plenty of pre 1982 Canadian nickles and copper pennies in Windsor, but I don't think it is worth the trip for bullion purposes. At current copper prices pre 1979 copper pennies are worth 2.5 cents each, newer ones even less and 99.9% 5 nickels are worth 7.3 cents each. Given the cost of fuel, tunnel/bridge fees, currency exchange fees, and time.

I have gone with my kids 3-4 times over the last year to hunt for coins for our collection. We start collecting Canadiain coins we found in US rolls and then went to Canada to fill in the holes. There are a boat load of different Canadian quarters, some years as many as 12!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread