Disappointing detecting and weird homeowners!

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Had one of those disappointing days of detecting :BangHead: So my friend got off work a few hours before me and decided to scout some homes to hunt later. We chose an older part of town on the outskirts of the city. Lots of old homes and plantations that date to the 1800s. We usually have pretty good luck gaining permission to hunt old properties, but as we would find out not in this part of town! Before I got off work he called me to say 8 home owners had told him no, several being very rude about it. So we met up and drove around to find some more places.

He found a sweet looking property that dated from the late 1700s. The homeowner, an older man, was pretty strange acting. He told us some other guys had spent 4 days in a row hunting his property and didn't find a single thing but we could give it a try. The ground was absolutely loaded with trash targets but the guy stood over my should the entire 30 minutes we were there. We decided the heck with that place and moved on. Found another real old home down the street with yet another strange old man. He gave us permission to hunt so things were looking better.

Not long into the hunt I notice him casually walking by our cars, then I notice he is taking photographs of our license plates with a cell phone. My friend noticed this too. Next thing you know he is standing behind me watching over my shoulder. At that point I was ready to say screw it and call it a night. My ONLY find in that yard was a old GM car key, probably from the 60s or 70s. Since the guy was standing there I showed him the key, which he promptly grabbed and walked away with. I have no problem giving finds to a homeowner if they ask, but not saying a word and just snatching something kind of hits a nerve with me. I've never had that happen before because I can usually sense the type of people who would do that and I just don't hunt their properties.

Out of frustration I did swing the coil in my own yard for a few minutes when I got home and found a 1941 nickel. Can't always hunt them all and find the good stuff :laughing7:

Upvote 0

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
yup wierdos are fun.the last that guy acted like that called me for an estate hunt.he did the same thing,photos of my plates,wierd questions,hovering.I actually told him he was making it uncomfortable after offering him a machine to use....his comment?"you work for me,shut up and get buisy"me and my buddy promptly left laughing,didnt mean to,but hey funny is funny.work for him...nope...I offered him first two pics,then every other pic.he got two pull tabs

The Urban Prospector

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Wherever I am.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado,
Garrett AT Pro,
Minelab Excal II,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Nokta Legend,
Garrett Pro Pointer,
Garrett Pro Pointer AT,
Human eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
ROFL....wow! Umm, I think imona stick to public property for a good while!!:laughing7:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry to hear about those persnickety land owners. Not all property owners are that way, it just seems like ya'll had a bad day and got more than your share of A holes in one day. Now that you have them out of the way today should be much better.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reading this made me think of the movie "Silence of the Lamb". Be careful and don't end up in some wackos basement.

OP
OP
Jeremy S

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry to hear about those persnickety land owners. Not all property owners are that way, it just seems like ya'll had a bad day and got more than your share of A holes in one day. Now that you have them out of the way today should be much better.

We usually encounter one or two a-holes a week when asking for permission, but a majority of the people are pretty friendly even if they don't want you to detect. Yesterday it was just everyone that we encountered was mean or weird!

The whole experience yesterday reminded me of growing up in the country in the midwest. People where I grew up generally didn't like "ousiders", especially those asking to do something or trying to sell anything. I remember when I was a kid the vacuum salesman would be in town. The whole neighborhood would be in a tizzy over this strange man going door to door. Many people would run him off. I remember one time they wrote his license plate down and called around to everyone to warn them of this psycho trying to sell vacuums :laughing7:. I have never had much luck trying to metal detect private properties in my hometown unless I was related to or knew the owner.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread