Disappointments with ebay selling...what are yours?

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Anyone ever have disappointing sales on ebay?

Late this past summer, I bought a set of 40 books at an estate sale. These books are very old, and pretty rare. In fact, they are so rare that I had a hard time determining the value.

I studied and researched these books, and anything similar to them, for hours.

I was the first person in line at the estate sale, and these books were hotly talked about before the sale opened. Everyone in line behind me wanted them. Dealers had come from far and wide to try to buy them. I had about 10 offers to buy the books while I was still at the sale. One guy continued to pester me and my wife in an attempt to buy them, but that is another story.

With that demand, along with a few completed sales on ebay, I figured these books might bring $300 each, with some topping much more than that. I guessed on the low end that the books might bring $200 to $250.

We've been listing them as auctions on ebay, with disappointing results. We've sold 5 of them so far...the copies that I thought might be the best of the lot...and they've sold between $50 and $100.

So much for remodeling the kitchen and for a leisurely summer vacation to Montana.

What disappointments have you had?

Are there specific items that didn't bring what you thought they would?

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
I'll share another few items...

A year ago, I went to an estate auction. I was surprised to see a set of three framing slicks, which are large chisels often used in timber framing and log cabin construction.

I was even more surprised to win the 3 for just $5. I immediately called my wife and said "We just made our payday! You should see these slicks!!!"

Was I ever in for a disappointment. Just five years ago, when I was shopping for a set of framing slicks, these would have sold for a minimum of $300. The last time I looked them up, all three would not bring $100 on a good day. Seems that the bottom has dropped out of the timber framing tools market.

I'll keep them for that price...and are currently resting in a safe spot inside one of my tool chests.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sold some Redfield sniper scopes from the Viet Nam era and an engraving machine for fine engraving. The bids kept going up and I was shocked at what they sold for. I studied like items that had sold well and listed similar to them. I thinks it is just supply and demand. I tried to sell and eye clear 1 1/2 ct. diamond but set a minimum but it never came close so did not sell.
Good luck!

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I used to buy often on ebay, but quit when paypal pretty much became mandatory. That, the poor economy and very overpriced items made me, most of my friends and I'm guessing many others leave. These were our reasons...

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I used to buy often on ebay, but quit when paypal pretty much became mandatory. That, the poor economy and very overpriced items made me, most of my friends and I'm guessing many others leave. These were our reasons...

They are talking about selling, not buying.

Fitzwilk

Jan 6, 2013
East Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've sold ancient coins on eBay. I've always started auctions at .99 cents to get the bidding started. I've taken a hit on some coins which is always disappointing, but more often than not they sell for more than I expected.

Nov 17, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hate it when I miscalculate my shipping fees and it ends up costing me money to ship the item. That doesn't make me very happy, luckily it doesn't happen very often.

rhino71

Mar 22, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Whites DFX Garrett GTAX 550
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sold my first Whites Dfx with case, extra batteries, bullseye pinpointer, Automax pinpointer, headphones, tall man rod, and two coils....for $400 :BangHead: I thought I was going to lose my mind. Wish I had never done it. It happens though...gotta just go on.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know I can't really think of anything that would disappoint me, and that's probably because I'm so used to the ups and downs on small stuff, and I protect myself from losing much on something valuable. Buying for me would probably be more likely to disappoint me because there's way less control compared to selling, and in the last 48 hours I was tracking three very good items that I felt were under the radar and I totally expected to win all, and quite easily. The first I lost, 2nd I won but paid quite a bit so will have to see when I get it how I did, and the last, finally, I stole.... but even in that case there was a little disappointment because it doesn't have the rarity I would have liked, and I spent over an hour to figure that out.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My only complaint would be the low ball offers I get sometimes by people. Can't blame them for trying I guess. There is no reason you should lose money on anything as long as you set your minimum price accordingly.

I was tracking three very good items that I felt were under the radar and I totally expected to win all, and quite easily.
Why would you think they were "under the radar", if they were something that you knew to be of value, wouldn't others in that field of collecting know also? Were the items that obscure? Just wondering.

0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I generally have to pay pretty dear for what i buy on eBay. Only time I seem to get a "good buy" is when someone really underpriced a "buy it now". I collect old ephemera etc from an old religious/ utopian group called the shakers so its a very specific niche. But I'm thrilled at some of the great it's that show up that would take decades of searching to find - if ever.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My only complaint would be the low ball offers I get sometimes by people. Can't blame them for trying I guess. There is no reason you should lose money on anything as long as you set your minimum price accordingly.

Why would you think they were "under the radar", if they were something that you knew to be of value, wouldn't others in that field of collecting know also? Were the items that obscure? Just wondering.

The first was a bone back British Rev War Lieutenants button. There's no makings on the face except for a tudor rose, so many would not recognize it. It was also listed in a Foreign country, under a non military category. My bid was $240 and wasn't enough, and I was quite surprised by that. Turns out it was bought by someone who belonged to the country it was listed in, and it wasn't the US as I said, and not the UK either. Ironically I would have rather it been something much more rare, even if marked, and in the right category, because I suspect very few, if anyone would have been confident enough to bid several times that. But seeing something that great that's hidden sure doesn't happen often. (meaning something much better than the button I bid on. Navy only sell for so much even on a good day)

The next was a coin in a lot, I suspected it was going to be seen by plenty, but hoping they didn't research the variety which was very rare. I paid a little over $500 for it, but there's a caveat, the listing only showed one side! :laughing7: As long as the other side is as good I think I'll make at least $200, and if it's better, maybe several hundred, but if there's a big hack I'm toast! I didn't believe I would steal it for nothing, just hoped it would stay under $300, because at that price it was likely going to be a steal.

The last was also a coin in a small group, and I knew it would be a steal. It too was in a foreign country, under the wrong category - one that had absolutely nothing to do with it. This one I won for $15, but bid over $500 because I still wasn't sure of the ID. I've since figured it out and it's worth maybe $200-$250.

So between the 3 (well two I won) I hope to make at least $400, but getting them all cheap would have been pretty awesome, but that's how it goes. However it's still better than any job anyone would hire me to do.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Iron,

Are you buying these items for resale, or for your personal collection?

Pretty cool stuff. I've found a few bargains over the years because they were mislisted, but nothing even close to what you are doing.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron,

Are you buying these items for resale, or for your personal collection?

Pretty cool stuff. I've found a few bargains over the years because they were mislisted, but nothing even close to what you are doing.

All to sell, but I do sort of think of it as my collection while I have it. Just everything has a price. I should also say that most of what I buy isn't up in the hundreds range, it just so happened I found those three all ending in 24 hours of each other and no way I could pass them up without taking a shot. It is the whole reason I'm doing this, to find decent deals. I've done this for over 10 years, but am getting more serious about it as there ain't no going back now.

Last edited:

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The first was a bone back British Rev War Lieutenants button. There's no makings on the face except for a tudor rose, so many would not recognize it. It was also listed in a Foreign country, under a non military category. My bid was $240 and wasn't enough, and I was quite surprised by that. Turns out it was bought by someone who belonged to the country it was listed in, and it wasn't the US as I said, and not the UK either. Ironically I would have rather it been something much more rare, even if marked, and in the right category, because I suspect very few, if anyone would have been confident enough to bid several times that. But seeing something that great that's hidden sure doesn't happen often. (meaning something much better than the button I bid on. Navy only sell for so much even on a good day)

The next was a coin in a lot, I suspected it was going to be seen by plenty, but hoping they didn't research the variety which was very rare. I paid a little over $500 for it, but there's a caveat, the listing only showed one side! :laughing7: As long as the other side is as good I think I'll make at least $200, and if it's better, maybe several hundred, but if there's a big hack I'm toast! I didn't believe I would steal it for nothing, just hoped it would stay under $300, because at that price it was likely going to be a steal.

The last was also a coin in a small group, and I knew it would be a steal. It too was in a foreign country, under the wrong category - one that had absolutely nothing to do with it. This one I won for $15, but bid over $500 because I still wasn't sure of the ID. I've since figured it out and it's worth maybe $200-$250.

So between the 3 (well two I won) I hope to make at least $400, but getting them all cheap would have been pretty awesome, but that's how it goes. However it's still better than any job anyone would hire me to do.
Thanks for the explanation. I commend you for still being able to do that and make a profit at it. You remember that ebay watch link I posted? You know you can see how many views an item has, even if it hasn't got a bid yet? Just put the item number in the search box.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the explanation. I commend you for still being able to do that and make a profit at it. You remember that ebay watch link I posted? You know you can see how many views an item has, even if it hasn't got a bid yet? Just put the item number in the search box.

As they say I have put my time in. For the first one or two or three years I had a few detecting friends who sort of took it for granted that anyone could do what I was doing, and I suppose back then I could see how they'd think that.... even though I didn't agree. But as time went on the more experience I gained the less they believed that anyone with a little knowledge could do it, and these days over 10 years later it's just so obvious someone couldn't just decide to copy me, and be able to do it, it's a conversation that won't even come up again. It's just like anything else you dedicate yourself to, you hope to have at least some success at it.

Cool that you can see with no bids, and I suppose could be useful if you put the time into finding things that were close to ending with no one tracking... but I still don't see a very constructive - time efficient use, just something to have fun with.

OP
OP
C

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
I once found a 1946 Lionel catalog that had been listed in the wrong category. At the time, those catalogs were selling for $50 to $125, depending on condition.

The seller listed it in magazine back issues, instead of the appropriate post war Lionel category. I was happy to pick up such a nice catalog for just $18 with shipping. This one was so nice that I think it would have brought $100+.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread