Discovered what I think is a trash pit on my site yesterday and it is loaded!!!

Devonrex

Jan 6, 2012
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, Nautilus DMC IIB
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have always wanted to find an early rev war pit and I think I finally have! After thinking about it for some time and listening to Bill D I went to the area where a majority of my buttons have come from. This place is LOADED with iron. I began to remove the dirt and immediately found oyster shells, bricks, and broken glass shards. The pit is roughly 5ft by 5ft and so far I have only gone down about 3 ft. Hard work as roots were everywhere but well worth it! I was astounded at the number of musket balls I recovered! Even more amazing was 4 more small French buttons!!! :headbang: Several flatties, 2 bayonet tips, and 2 old coppers. These are twice as big as Virginia Half Pennys and appear to be British. I also found 2 more backs of buttons that have double loops. In Troini's book he describes French Officer buttons as 2 piece gilted copper repousse with double loop shanks. I have always wanted to find one and now I have at least found 2 backs! Why couldn't I have found the front with the magical numbers? :dontknow: No complete bottles or pipes stems have been found as yet but I'm hoping! Also was greeted by a 6 ft blacksnake when I first got there, litererally scared me to death as it was moving across the ground with its head at least a foot up in the air!!! And found my first tick of the season crawling on me when I got home. The critters are out and about! As usual I'll post my cleaned buttons in an update. Hope everyone gets their coil over something great this weekend! HH Devonrex

Attachments

• 091.JPG
    091.JPG
    94.8 KB · Views: 1,082
  • 092.JPG
    092.JPG
    111.4 KB · Views: 1,077
  • 094.JPG
    094.JPG
    122.6 KB · Views: 1,072
Upvote 0

peanut

Apr 19, 2009
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3i, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome, dig it all!! :headbang:

Palmetto

Mar 21, 2009
UpCountry, SC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,Teknetics T2, Fisher Goldbug,
Whites 5900/ di Pro sl
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Cant wait to see what else you pull out of there.
Your posts have been great so far this year and it seems you have found an incredible site.
Good luck.

Palmetto

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lord I can't wait to get off the beach and do some real digging. Looking at this post reminds me why. Keep us updated as you uncover more treasures. Thanks for posting.

goldnugget

Nov 3, 2005
East Coast U S A
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab XP-Pro- MinelabExcaliber -Fisher1260 Minelab E-Trac - Minelab Equinox 800
Great Finds, I have permission to Detect just out of Peterburg on 6 -12 acres, Thanks for the tip on the Ticks I probably would not have thought about them being out in March-goldnugget-Charlotte,North Carolina

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds! I see you also found two bayonet scabbard clips as well. The finials for the bayonet scabbards should be in there somewhere too.

CrazySlasher

Jul 6, 2010
SS of MA.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab E-Trac w/Sunray probe and 15' WoTcoil.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like an amazing spot. Def get a sifter for that pit. And yes, the ticks are out. Pulled a deer tick off me last night.

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Nice finds,

I'd sift through every inch of that place.

HH Jer

flakefinder

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2010
Michigan
Detector(s) used
2 Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is great to fine a spot like that and then pull out great fines, Congrats :notworthy:

JmCraz8

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2011
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Currently using: XP DEUS, T2 SE and the Garret Carrot lol
Have used: Garret Ace 250, Garret AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Devonrex,I am Happy for you,lord knows what will come from there and I hope it's all GOOD!Them black snakes can stick that body up pretty high now. God Bless Chris

OP
OP
Devonrex

Devonrex

Jan 6, 2012
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, Nautilus DMC IIB
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The buttons turned out to be 3 more 41's and another super rare 23. Will get a picture up of them soon. Thanks for all the nice responses and I am definitely gonna have to get a screen. Here's a picture I took just the other day of all the buttons that have come from this area (included are 5 others I found a little over 10 yrs ago). Devonrex

Attachments

• 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    106.4 KB · Views: 837

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
John - my jaw drops each time I see one of your posts, and it seems things are getting even better the more you dig at this site if that's even possible. Did your coppers clean up enough to be identified? I know you were thinking they might be British, but with all the buttons you're finding maybe the coins are French too. Can you also post some of the pottery and glass shards that are coming out of the pit? Are you saving that stuff? You may be able to reconstruct some bottles or pottery items if you're willing to spend the time to save, clean and put the pieces of the puzzle together. Might be some bottle seals in there too. I love doing that with stuff from colonial pits, and sometimes you can be amazed what you can bring back to life. All I can say at this point is keep 'em coming as we're all getting as much enjoyment following your adventure as you're having digging (but not quite!). I wish you continued good luck at your once-in-a-lifetime site ...... Bill

70monte68

Aug 8, 2010
PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T2 SE
TEKNETICS T2 SE (back up)
MINELAB EXCALIBUR 2,
WHITES MX SPORT
They are amazing finds. As said, to find a spot that produces those gems is once in a lifetime. Enjoy and please keep them coming!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread