Discovery 2200 By BH for radio shack

Weazel

Jan 26, 2006
Covington, GA
I bought my first MD about 2 years ago it's the Discovery 2200 mady by Bounty Hunter to be sold by radio shack. So far it's done a bang up job for what I originally wanted it for. it has a 3 tone system for identification gold shows up on the low tones (tested with my wedding band which is 14k mens ring) the display shows it to be somewhere around a nickle to a screw cap. the dislpay on it works pretty well depending... the display is a black and white LCD that shows battery power left, sensitivity setting and a range of items the object could be and a depth indicator from 0 to 9 inches, the depth indicator is a bit flaky from time to time usually caused by a large object or multiple signals in the case of large oblects it seems to actually be trying to read the shape of the item.

The detector is very light weight less than 3lbs.(personally my arm has never gotten tired from carrying it) I personally would say it's a great machine for myself and my newness to the area of metal detectiong. A great price at less than $200 when I bought it new.

hope this helps

Attachments

• disc 2200.jpg
    disc 2200.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 1,307
N

Newline

You know, I see a lot of Bounty Hunter bashing around the various sites. I can understand that they might not be on a professional par with the other brands who have been making detectors forever. It even seems that Bounty Hunter doesn't recognize the models they make for radio shack. They don't list this detector on their site. Now, I know that I'm new to this but I have to say, I like my Discovery and I'm no longer ashamed to admit it. It is my first real detector and I like it. It's light, it's effective and it's fun. It will detect a twist tie well down in the ground. I know, I've dug and dug just to find one. And they do kinda seem like they are trying to read an objects' shape. Also, mine is not treated lightly. It gets dropped, kicked aside while I'm digging, and covered with dirt. So, yes, I do plan to add other, finer detectors to my collection as I grow in this hobby but I can not imagine that I'll ever stop using the Discovery 2200. It's just too small and fun not to. I think it's an awesome way to begin the metal detecting hobby and to get to know how metal detectors work without being confused with too much adjusting and arm strain. So I must say, I really enjoy mine and I think it's worth getting one. Especially for the price.

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
I have the lower end Radio Shack BH (not as good as one you showed) and I've found 40 + silver coins in the past year and a half, two 1700s coins, two 1800s coins, Rev. War musket balls and many other things. It's all in the research and finding the right sights. I suppose I could be missing things, but I detect with people who have very high end detectors and I am finding as much stuff as they are in the same areas.

Stainless Steet Rat

May 15, 2006
I just picked one up for $69.00 at a factory outlet store I think it was an open box return. I have already gotten "bashed" for posting I am using it. At the rate I am finding coins it will pay for itself in about 2 weeks. I have only been searching in the suburbs so oldest coins I am seeing are in the 60s. I will admit I got a lot of bottle caps and pull tabs too.

Rusted_Iron

Bronze Member
May 25, 2006
Corrodedlargecentville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing wrong with Bounty Hunters. Looks like quite a few people are getting impressive results with them.

cryptodave

Aug 25, 2005
Currituck County, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Don't let the elitest bother you guys. BH makes a decent product for your money. Plus, now the BH has bought out Fisher, I think your going to see them become a little better.
If someone asks me what to buy for their first detector, I always direct them to one of three places. Radio Shack for their BH line, Walmart for their $98 BH, or a place I found online that sells the ACE 150 and 250 for cheap.
I have a spare BH in the closet, and I use it every now and again to coinshoot playgrounds.
I've started to compare metal detecting to golf. I've found you have better luck with several detectors for several environments.

Good luck to you all!

B

bdoubled

Excuse me, but BH didn't buy Fisher -- their parent company (First Texas Holdings) bought Fisher.

P

PostFatal

bdoubled said:
Excuse me, but BH didn't buy Fisher -- their parent company (First Texas Holdings) bought Fisher.

oh, there's a difference? I hadn't noticed.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread