disecting a microwave

ilyaz

Oct 2, 2010
I just took apart my first microwave. Now I am trying to identify a couple of parts -- see photo. The piece on the left I think is the motor that rotates the carousel. Not sure what the small piece on the bottom is. And the big one. Are these worth anything more than just steel?

Thanks.

Attachments

• m_parts.jpg
    m_parts.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 586

hypoman

Jul 25, 2008
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
From the way your picture is posted, the one on the bottom, I would just throw that into my barrel that I use for appliance motors. I don't know what the names of these parts are so can't help you there. Can yo break down that white round thing any more?

theirratonalist

Nov 9, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The part on the top right is called a MAGNETRON! It's is pretty corny name that dates back to the 60's. It is made of a copper core, it has aluminum heat sinks, and couple large plain magnets inside it. People often sell the magnetrons on Ebay. The thing on the bottom is a small motor core, and I believe it is made of mostly lead. The thing on the top left is a small DC motor that runs the rotating tray on the inside of the microwave. You can scrap all of them at motor price near my home. If I break the magnetron apart to the core, I can usually argue it as copper two; but that is only if I spend the time to tear it apart.

Zander

Nov 17, 2010
It was a proper rotation for the parts of the microwave. We must see that it was a bottom that uses to determine the value of all parts. This maybe a good study in a dissecting a microwave because it can apply into a various section in the function of the microwave.

theirratonalist

Nov 9, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just thought I point out that there is a big transformer in every microwave that goes as copper breakage/motor price. It usually makes up 1/3 of the weight of the microwave.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread