Disguises &/or Misdirection (THing "undercover")

Quark

Apr 8, 2009
Pacific NW
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Disguises &/or Misdirection (TH'ing "undercover")

Years ago, Larry Williams published Treasure Hunter Confidential. I don't have any of the newsletters, but I have a back issues index that lists topics which were covered each month. They've been off the grid for years, and I've not been able to find a source for back issues.

Of interest to me are topics mentioned which involve how to get onto hard to search sites (presumably with permission) by appearing to be something other than a TH'er. I could see where posing as a utility location service could disguise a one's true intentions, but I don't know if that was the idea.

Can anyone shed any light on those ideas, or, do you have some of your own?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Re: Disguises &/or Misdirection (TH'ing "undercover")

Yeah, the response (blank stares) is human psychology: if you say "I'm a metal detectorist looking for coins/relics", brings stares of "you're WHO?? you're what? you wanna do what?" etc.... But if you say "I'm an amateur historian writing an article" or whatever, the doors seem to open much wider. For example: I knew a fellow who was a grade school teacher. He..... during the course of history lessons, would sometimes show the kids a relic or military button or coin or whatever. That began to be his "line" to getting an "in" wherever he went. He went to various ghost towns in Nevada, for instance, and if he encountered any signs (or seeming scrutiny), he just talked to whomever, explained that he taught under-priveleged kids who were preparing to write an assignment on Nevada history, and he wanted to assemble a little display of square nails or other things. He found that his "yes's" went way up :)

Any myself for example: I docent at several museums (just a few hours per month committment), but you'd be surprised "how far" that gets me when I flash that ID badge around :) So if you ever see a blurb in your local paper, seeking volunteers to lead tours, or whatever, at any type of historical site near you, sign up :)

OP
OP
Quark

Quark

Apr 8, 2009
Pacific NW
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Annmarie, thanks for the link. I'll see if anyone replies to an e-mail query about back issues and if they're going forward. Williams has had his share of controversy lately with regard to income tax evasion, so if the newsletter is revived, it may be by others unless he plans to edit it from Federal prison.

Tom, thanks for the insights - great stuff!

Any other thoughts out there?

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X

Quark, I used to use the ecology symbols on my T shirts as well as the Reduce, Reuse, Recycle stickers on my detector and my pouch. I would always keep various junk items in my pouch, such as nails, broken glass, and lead scraps. I would extole the virtues of cleaning up our mother earth and how I take many toxic items from the ground, such as lead and old batteries, etc.

Of course, it helps that I actually practice what I preach and really do remove all my junk, as well as pick up visible trash items that I am sure many of us probably don't do. I have seen many fellow detectorists over the years not being proper stewards of our hobby, but it is what it is.

Good luck! HH

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.

people want a pretense for why you are doing what you are doing.
What mother would say no to you looking for sharp rusty pieces of
metal in her yard that would cut her childs foot. One look in the scrap
section of your goodies pouch would get her on your side. If you
follow that up by working withg heavy discrimination you are cutting
your own throat. If that is the prestense search in All metals mode.
Same thing at swimming beaches. Think the locals would enjoy
knowing that there were loose bullets in the public park and that
they could either let you l;ook for them OR hire someone to do it
and waste part of their tight budget. Use your head and not your
desires. siegfried schlagrule

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread