dismal finds *skunk streak over*

50centman

Feb 25, 2008
Re: dismal finds

phrostie,
Do you have any idea of how many people are looking for halves? It is huge and the amount of new old halves being turned in is down 80% from 5 years ago. Also a lot more competition from traveling coin shows. You have been doing this for a fairly long time. There is no culling, only too many people chasing too few coins. The people that saved the coins are dying and there are less coins to go around. It's been a fun ride but I'm afraid we're on the home stretch!

Captaindoodle

Feb 10, 2008

Phrostie,

This is my fourth year of hitting half's hard, and in the last 3 month's my finds have dropped off a cliff...I am averaging 25% of my average for the last 3 years both from CWI and Brinks...too many hunters and too few prey.

Oh well...it was fun while it lasted.

HH
CD

Lburgguy

Tenderfoot
Mar 23, 2011

Been CRH for halves for four months now with moderately good success. Past 11 boxes have been skunks! I am switching up to Brinks boxes starting tomorrow as the "String and Sons" boxes (from the Fed?) are dry!

Oh, this is my first post here so hello all.

EpicDeuce

Dec 2, 2010

You missed my 20 box flop last week? Was on a 10 box skunk streak the week before that, almost 30 boxes total with zip.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010

My last 11 boxes and 1 bag have been all skunks. Yesterday, I picked up an additional $100 in halves, plus $100 in quarters, and those were skunks too.

I get 2 to 4 rolls of dimes about 3 or 4 times a week, and haven't found a silver dime yet.

Did they really make dimes in silver, once upon a time?

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I just finish boxes 7 & 8 skunks in a roll. All half boxes.....Matt

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Oh yes. My last 6 boxes were CWI flat boxes--and, from my most promising bank. For some reason--perhaps someone here can explain this to me--my previous boxes only had a four digit code stamped on them. Now my flat boxes have a new stamp: CWI. I have always obtained flat boxes from this bank.

I don't think my bank changed couriers--just that the flat boxes I am now purchasing has a different stamp--and thus far, a heck of a lot less silver.

apush :read2:

huskie fan

Mar 6, 2011
Northern ILL

I only pick up CWI boxes. There are a lot of guys going through them and dumping back at the same bank they pick up at. So you will go through many skunked boxes. I have only seen one of my marked coins since Nov. I dump at Brinks.

65gt350

Mar 6, 2007
California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Toltec 100

If you are in CA the CWI boxes have been bad since December. There are good boxes every now and then but more often then not they are skunks.

All this talk about the silver being gone and skunk streaks made me find a post from 2007 about a skunk streak.

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,74400.msg541694.html#msg541694

The more skunks you can stand the more silver you will find.

HH,
65GT350

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT

These things typically go in waves I noticed. I will get a horrible skunk streak. I had a 13 skunk streak in December. If it wasn't for some CWRolls, I would've had a terrible month. When the skunk streak is on, I will fill the void with dimes or cents. Then you will get a streak of boxes with keepers.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Lburgguy said:
Been CRH for halves for four months now with moderately good success. Past 11 boxes have been skunks! I am switching up to Brinks boxes starting tomorrow as the "String and Sons" boxes (from the Fed?) are dry!

Oh, this is my first post here so hello all.
Boxes don't come from the "fed". They all come from privately owned coin wrapping companies. Some of those companies buy the "String and Sons" wrappers to wrap the coins in.
HH
enamel7

usatc

Nov 28, 2008
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

I'm looking forward to 8 boxes of halves tomorrow... Here's hoping I don't hit a streak of skunks too!

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Re: dismal finds *skunk streak continues*

My last box was a skunk too, making it 13 in a row.

coincrawlin

Sep 13, 2010
SoCal
Detector(s) used
Teknetics G2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yep, for me anything over six skunks in a row and it starts to get demoralizing and you wonder if it's really worth it anymore, but the addiction must be fed! I haven't figured it out yet, but it seems like I have better luck if I limit my search to a couple boxes a week instead of doing six to eight a week. With that said, I did up my order to four boxes this week, so we'll see.

SeaninNH

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2010
New Hampshire USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I got a skunk box on Thursday, and another one yesterday. The one yesterday had HUNDREDS of coins with a black marker mark on the edge.

It was completely discouraging opening roll after roll and seeing this stupid mark.

I don't know how I got so many of this persons dump in one box. I felt like just opening them into my canvas dump bag and not even bothering to check (although I didn't).

OP
OP
phrostie

phrostie

Dec 3, 2008
Nap Town
Ashdowney, don't you have something better to do...like make some more carrot cake? ;) :laughing7: :laughing7:

love ya!

Ashdowney

Feb 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
phrostie said:
Ashdowney, don't you have something better to do...like make some more carrot cake? ;) :laughing7: :laughing7:

love ya!

im too busy creating life. :wav:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread