Dissapointed

Fosen

Greenie
Oct 1, 2006
Last week I went to the bank that I've had an account with for 25+ years, and told them I wanted to get some currency in certain denominations, to include a certain amount of dollar and half-dollar coins. I know most of the ladies well enough for "small talk", but not really well. They told me that they could order the dollar coins, but not the halves. When I asked why, pretty much all they said was that there wasn't that option on the order form. So I said to go ahead and order the dollars, and I'd pick them up later.

Well they called me and said that they would indeed be able to get the half-dollars, but that now they couldn't get me the dollar coins. Although, they proceeded to inform me that they had a bag of "loose" dollars in the safe, and that I could have those.

So today I went to the bank and picked up $1000 in loose dollars and brought them home. I was disappointed to find that I had approximately $50 in Susans, $300 in Sacs, and the rest were the new presidential coins. Not a single Eisenhower at all? Are any of these coins worth more than face value?

Also, does anyone know if there is any certain reason that the bank couldn't order the dollar coins, or do I need to find another bank? I've never coin roll hunted before, and actually I just wanted to have some coins at home, but these Sacs and new Presidential coins don't seem to have the appeal of the older ones...I wouldn't be suprised if people wouldn't accept them, they just look cheap.

I'm crossing my fingers on the halves I'm supposed to pick up Thursday!

Upvote 0

Historyhound

Nov 2, 2006
Schenectady New York
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Fosen said:
Last week I went to the bank that I've had an account with for 25+ years, and told them I wanted to get some currency in certain denominations, to include a certain amount of dollar and half-dollar coins. I know most of the ladies well enough for "small talk", but not really well. They told me that they could order the dollar coins, but not the halves. When I asked why, pretty much all they said was that there wasn't that option on the order form. So I said to go ahead and order the dollars, and I'd pick them up later.

Well they called me and said that they would indeed be able to get the half-dollars, but that now they couldn't get me the dollar coins. Although, they proceeded to inform me that they had a bag of "loose" dollars in the safe, and that I could have those.

So today I went to the bank and picked up $1000 in loose dollars and brought them home. I was disappointed to find that I had approximately $50 in Susans, $300 in Sacs, and the rest were the new presidential coins. Not a single Eisenhower at all? Are any of these coins worth more than face value?

Also, does anyone know if there is any certain reason that the bank couldn't order the dollar coins, or do I need to find another bank? I've never coin roll hunted before, and actually I just wanted to have some coins at home, but these Sacs and new Presidential coins don't seem to have the appeal of the older ones...I wouldn't be suprised if people wouldn't accept them, they just look cheap.

I'm crossing my fingers on the halves I'm supposed to pick up Thursday!

Check the backs of all the 2000 Sac's. There is a variety known as "enhanced tail feathers". Most of these coins were distributed in Cheerio's boxes. They carry quite a premium. GL

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
There are quite a few errors to look for on the presidential dollars. I am not much into errors so if it aint silver I don't spend time on it. Ikes never really circulated very much. Yes they made quite a few of them but who knows where all of them are. Most coin distributors will only deliver the new smaller sized dollar coins. It never hurts to ask for large dollars though as sometimes customers turn them in. I have gotten several rolls full of Ikes before (never any silver). You will have much better luck with halves.

Golden Silver

d2arcing

Bronze Member
Jun 22, 2009
if they order dollar coins for you... that is all you will get... I think/that's what my teller told me, as i seen president rolls but no big dollars, as they can't fit together... so makes sense to me

Hi Ho Silver!

Jan 31, 2010
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
To get Ikes you have to ask for only Ikes. I have had no problem getting $1000.00 bags if I ask. They are a real pain to get rid of. Worse than halves. I don't do it too often. :dontknow: :dontknow:

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Ho Silver! said:
To get Ikes you have to ask for only Ikes. I have had no problem getting $1000.00 bags if I ask. They are a real pain to get rid of. Worse than halves. I don't do it too often. :dontknow: :dontknow:
You are one of the lucky ones. It is extremely rare for a bank to be able to order the large dollars.
HH
Gilbert

CHAINCHOMP

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2010
Colorado Springs CO.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QS
u'll b lucky to find a bank that has an ike loose in their drawer/tray.....pretty rare. some of the luckyones can order them, but not many ...good luck on the halves.

OP
OP
F

Fosen

Greenie
Oct 1, 2006
Well, first off I'd like to thank all that have responded with infomation...I really appreciate it!

A few minutes ago I picked up two boxes of halves, and I think we should to change the title to this thread! As mentioned earlier, I've never CRH'd before, and I honestly don't have plans (at this point, lol) to order more.

Initial inspection of the ends shows at least a 1 Benjamin...would someone be willing to point me towards a thread with info as to what my wife and I need to keep an eye out for...she may have been bitten by the bug, as she thought the coins were really neat and is eager to look through them :tongue3:

IMG_6459.jpg

Silverminer

May 17, 2010
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Fosen,

Check up top of the topics and see CRH basics from COOLCASH I think.

Also Mrs. APUSH recently posted a topic which addresses what to look for in halves.

HH Cheers!

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
You may be in for a pleasent suprise. 1 Ben on the end is a good indication that there will be more inside. You should find at least 10 keepers.

As for what to look for. Any Half dollar older than 1970 should be your basic goal. Beyond that there are Proof coins NIFC's and Errors. They still make 90% silver proof but I can say that finding any in a box would be almost as hard and rare as finding a Barber.

Mojo

OP
OP
F

Fosen

Greenie
Oct 1, 2006
Ha ha ha...my wife and I are having a blast :tongue3: We're about halfway through the first box and although we haven't found anything else worth keeping, it sure is suspenseful. A good percentage of these seem to be bicentennials!

obediah

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2009
Clarksville TN.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
coinmojo said:
You may be in for a pleasent suprise. 1 Ben on the end is a good indication that there will be more inside. You should find at least 10 keepers.

As for what to look for. Any Half dollar older than 1970 should be your basic goal. Beyond that there are Proof coins NIFC's and Errors. They still make 90% silver proof but I can say that finding any in a box would be almost as hard and rare as finding a Barber.

Mojo
Not necessarily- both the wife'e & I have found a Ben B4 on the end and that was all that was in those particular Boxes.

CHAINCHOMP

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2010
Colorado Springs CO.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QS
ive still never gotten a ben ender...bens are pretty hard to come by, so actually thats really good for ur first box! good luck and happy hunting!

OP
OP
F

Fosen

Greenie
Oct 1, 2006
Well the wife, my oldest son, and I all had a great time searching through our first 2 boxes of halves. All we found was that "ender" Franklin, but at least we didn't get skunked. And it's in great shape, everything is crisp and sharp :icon_thumright:

IMG_6477.jpg

IMG_6481-1.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread