Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would say that overall, the Discovery is going to be a bit better.

That being said, the Tracker IV is a great little machine for what it is. I've found all kinds of great stuff with mine (silver coins, gold and silver jewelry, IH pennies, TONS of clad, etc.) and it's responsible for getting me back into the hobby.

The thing with the BH machines is, you're not going to get the depth you'll get with higher end units. On average you can count on 6-7" for coins and jewelry. They'll detect trash like soda cans much deeper but who wants to dig soda cans??

I've never used the discovery 1100 personally but from what I've read it's pretty good for what it is. It definitely has a few more bells and whistles than the T4 such as depth indication (which is PROBABLE anyway).

Either way you'll definitely find stuff with either. It's up to the dedication you put into the hobby and choice of locations.
If it were me and I had to choose between those two, I would choose the Discovery 1100 but I also wouldn't underestimate the Tracker IV at all. I believe the T4 is one of the most under rated machines out there. It's simple and basic but it does find the goods down to a limited depth.

Good luck and HH with whichever you choose.

Last edited:

freewilrap

Nov 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a tracker IV. It's a good detector for the price. A good amount of clad and a few silver coins. Just my experience!

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If they are the same price, I'd go for the Tracker. It suggests a 7" max depth over the 1100s 6". The 1100 has a 7" coil, the T4 a 8". The TID is useless on both. I'd rather control the discrimination with a knob (ala Tesoro) than the 1100s all or nothing in two areas (iron and/or gold). The only plus I see to the 1100 is 3 tones over the T4s two.

The T4 is an improved detector over previous Trackers. Also one of BHs best sellers.

Last edited:

Opie

Aug 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
The 1100 unit is the beginning of the road for information units. In other words its telling you on the screen what it thinks the target is. Now that does not mean its any more or any less in performance then the Tracker IV. The tracker IV on the other hand is a blend of both Digital and analog. you will get a minute amount of more depth with the Tracker IV, but you'll get a Minute amount of faster target response with the 1100. Honestly their almost equal in performance. One is the starter for a pure tonal machine, the other for reading the face plate. Personally I found the 1100 too much like a toy. Just my own experience. If nothing else throw in a few more pennies and get the 2200 or the Lonestar.
Good luck!!

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What is your budget? Why are you locking into these 2 models? They are both low end and will be a good buy if you decide you do not like to detect. Otherwise I'd at least go $270-$300 to get into a mid to high level BH detector like the BH QDP or BH LRP.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread