Disturbing incident at dump bank - what to do?

tenseventyfive

Apr 25, 2010
Ok so I had a bit of a distrubing incident at a dump bank today and I'm not sure what to do. First off let me say that I *never* dump in size anymore - depending on the particular bank, I know the capacity of their machines, so I try and always stay like 20% below that so I don't force a bag change. I have posted about this a few times - IDK I just feel sorta bad and embarassed making them change the bag 5 times for one box at this one particular bank. (Im sure some of you will know exactly who I mean from that) If I know the branch has 2 sorters then maybe Ill double up but split between the 2 machines - and if I DO max it I am always very apologetic. It sucks because this reluctance to make them do it really cuts back on my volume, but that's not really the issue here.

Anyhow.

So I dump maybe $80 worth of halves in this machine, at a branch Ive only dumped at maybe once or twice - I try to spread the dumps in my area between the various branches of this bank so as not to become "that coin guy". Almost immediately an error message comes on the screen saying the bag is disconnected, so I call the possible manager? He was wearing a suit and kinda leaning on the counter, so I assumed he was middle management. He comes over, see this, and says no problem, opens it up and fixes the issue, telling me I can dump the rest right in. I notice the reject slot doesn't seem connected to the reject tray, so I ask him "Is the reject slot blocked?" - now this is when it starts to deteriorate - he goes "Why? Are you looking for silver?" in a sorta bemused, yet a**hole-ish way. I reply "No but sometimes I have old coins or foreign ones in there and I like to keep them" He replies "No those would just get spit out the reject slot" - BS ALARM #1 - we all know thats NOT what happens on these machines - not foreign, anyhow. I love to gather the foreign coins people just leave - some of them are actually worth more than US currency, but no one, including the bank, wants them. So I think "WTF is up with that?" but I reply, very polite "Oh ok - well since you have the machine open, can I ask another favor?" to which he gives me kinda a sidelong look, but I press on, saying "I know that sometimes they get stuck to the magnet under the tray - can I take them off?" and he goes "No - they get sent out to the bank." HUGE BS ALARM #2 - they in no way send foreign coins out to "the bank" - I have been there when they clean the machines and I have watched them literally throw them in a garbage can. Now I'm a little irritated because I know this guy is lying to me, so I ask "Why is that? Those are MY coins..." (the idea being of course, that whatever foreign slipped into my jar would be there) And he says "You're supposed to sort through them in the tray before you put them in the machine." and walks away.

I am not quite sure what to think - I've dumped dozens of times and cleaned magnets almost every time (except when I get scolded, then I lay off that branch for a few months) Not once have I ever heard of the foreign coins being sent to the bank. Between his comment on the silver (when I hadn't asked - I NEVER make mention of CRH or silver, I play the role of down-on-his-luck guy cashing in an old collection), his sh*t attitude towards me in general, and his lie about the coins, I suspect we have a cherry-picker/vulture at work. But if he's taking the foreign coins, and lying about the bank's policies, wouldn't he be in some violation? I feel like I should email the bank and report the incident, then let them decide if he's in the right or if action is needed to be taken. I don't want to cost this guy his job or anything, but I don't think what he did was right.

I would welcome any and all opinions!!! :coffee2:

Upvote 0

joad

Apr 15, 2009
East Coast
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
From what I have been told at this bank, they do indeed keep the foreign coinage and send to somewhere to be sorted by an outside company. They get a cut of the proceeds after this company converts back to US currency. I personally would not press the issue, but that is your call.

Joad

OP
OP
tenseventyfive

tenseventyfive

Apr 25, 2010
But if they keep the foreign coins, why did I see them cleaning them out of the machine and throwing them in the garbage can at another branch of the same bank? The guy cleaning it was doing it openly, middle of the day, middle of the floor. THIS guy, however, was dealing with me one-on-one. Obviously one of them is violating the bank's policy, and I would tend to think it was the guy talking to the schmuck (me) he thinks doesn't know any better. I don't really want to press the issue, and I certainly won't do it in my own name for fear of reprisal, but if this guy is essentially stealing he should be called out. Mind you, I have asked about the foreign coins before, vis a vis cleaning the magnet, and was told while they cant HOLD them for me they dont care if I take them.

Now why would they say that if their policy is to send them out?

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
Different branches have different policies. For example, a bank in the midwest is likely to view Canadian coins as little more than trash or curiosities, on the other hand, a bank near the Canadian border might view them as legitimate currency. And quite honestly, I think it is unlikely he is hoarding them himself, usually I find that collectors are a bit more open and I welcome bank employees that are collectors because chances are there are things that I acquire that I really don't "collect" (such as wheat pennies) and they have things that I collect that they don't (British coins, older US coins) and so we can trade. For example, at the dump bank I go to I save out all my wheat pennies I get and have her sort through them and pick out the ones she needs for her albums (so far 2 slots left on the second book and about 30 on the first book, though the first book contains rarities like 1909 S VDB and 1914 D and if I'm getting those in penny boxes unless I get a solid roll she isn't getting them :laughing9: ) but in exchange she lets me know if any interesting coins have come in and lets me search her try for silver rims and doesn't complain about my dumps.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My guess The "manager" You talked to didn't know the answer
But wanted to look Informed

So he tried to "Dazzle you with Bull"

mentalvirus

Aug 7, 2011
Do you have an account at this bank? Do they accept rolled coin if you don't use the machine? If you and if so then UP your volume and start returning $500 boxes of rolled coin to the counter. Tell them you're turning it in for your uncle or grandfather and let them cherry pick that....

byrne3

Mar 4, 2011
TD Bank has different machines at different banks.. Some of them have a magnet which is connected to the top dump tray. At other banks, the foreign coins go into the reject tray at the bottom along with the bent dimes and whatnot. If he told you that they go in the reject tray, then he is probably NOT lying about it.. Do you happen to know otherwise? And how do you know otherwise, if you've only dumped here once before? Did you actually put foreign coins in the machine to see where they end up? Sounds like you are the one that was lying and trying to defraud the bank. What's up with that? If they want to give you foreign coins from other customers, then great. But if not, let it go. They are not yours!!

tgcougar

Jun 8, 2011
Move along - nothing to see here. Dem ones in charge makes da rules.

Rule #1 - don't talk about CRH. CHECK

Rule #2 - it's better to ask for forgiveness than obtain permission. FAIL

Rule #3 - NEW DUMP BANK!!! Woo Hooo!!!!!!

rileyboy

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2010
If I were you, I wouldn't make a big deal about it. Let it go and just use the place
as a "dump" bank.
Just my two cents worth,
rileyboy

mentalvirus

Aug 7, 2011
I agree, just let it go and dump on them as much as possible.

I know what you mean though, it's probably not even so much the fact that you didn't get what you wanted but the obnoxious & arrogant attitude that really gets under your skin. I've run into a couple I'd like to try my best to fit into a safety deposit box but you just take a breath and walk out with a smile. Not worth the effort, bank and dopy bank employees are a dime a dozen, it wont be the last time you feel this way...

$nack-Money

Jul 16, 2011
I say you start dumping at this bank til it hurts. If they want to pull attitude on you, then they can pay for the right to do so by lugging your bag changes every time you fill them up. No more $80 at a time... try 2K at time. Let the manager have fun going thru that- $nack

ImpurestStewart

Jun 8, 2011
Laurel, Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Start dumping 2-5k a week on them :laughing9: :laughing9:. In all honesty though I've never had this problem considering I've always rerolled all my dumps and took them to the bank... I JUST found a bank with a coin counter in the back... Good luck.

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
byrne3 said:
TD Bank has different machines at different banks.. Some of them have a magnet which is connected to the top dump tray. At other banks, the foreign coins go into the reject tray at the bottom along with the bent dimes and whatnot. If he told you that they go in the reject tray, then he is probably NOT lying about it.. Do you happen to know otherwise? And how do you know otherwise, if you've only dumped here once before? Did you actually put foreign coins in the machine to see where they end up? Sounds like you are the one that was lying and trying to defraud the bank. What's up with that? If they want to give you foreign coins from other customers, then great. But if not, let it go. They are not yours!!

He said in his post that the "Reject" tube was not connected to the tray, the coins would spill inside the machine......

OP
OP
tenseventyfive

tenseventyfive

Apr 25, 2010
byrne3 said:

Well what I meant was I only dumped at this particular branch one time before, but it's one of about 6 in my immediate metro area - Like I said I try to spread the dumps thinly as to not be a nuisance and/or noticed at all. The fact is at this particular bank (by which I mean company) the foreigns and sliver all DO come out of the reject slot. And I don't see where you get that I was lying about anything, good sir - I said that I clean the magnets like many people do, and there often ARE foreign coins in my dumps. So I have every right to ask for them back from the bank. Perhaps read the post next time before casting aspersions, kthx.

OP
OP
tenseventyfive

tenseventyfive

Apr 25, 2010
mentalvirus said:
Do you have an account at this bank? Do they accept rolled coin if you don't use the machine? If you and if so then UP your volume and start returning $500 boxes of rolled coin to the counter. Tell them you're turning it in for your uncle or grandfather and let them cherry pick that....

I do in fact have an account there - not just for dumping, I actually tried to get a mortgage for an investment property through them and they were spectacularly uninterested, despite 800+ credit scores for both me and the Mrs., incomes and assets well above the range. So I have not just abused them as a dump - and as I said I am uncomfortable walking in with even more than one bagful - I feel like I am imposing on them to change the bags, but the only other bank with a coin sorter (Valley National Bank) is wildly inaccurate and I have had to rescue anywhere from $20-$75 back from the machine afterwards - also a major chore.

OP
OP
tenseventyfive

tenseventyfive

Apr 25, 2010
I think I will listen to the majority of you and NOT contact the bank about it - I still think this guy was crroked, when you add up his attitude and obvious lies. As I said literally every other branch of this bank has had no prob with people taking the foreigns, so I follow the rule that when 9 people say something is this way, and 1 says the other, chances are pretty good the 9 are correct. (Though not always - yes, I have seen "12 Angry Men"

I have a million irons in the fire at any given time - I see little to gain here other than making this guy's life hard, so unless we have a run-in again, he's off the hook.

:thumbsup: <------ thats actually a middle finger to the middle manager

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only thing you need to know... Dump hard, dump often.

RUSSIANPAUL

Apr 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have spoken to a manager before and she told me that they send the foreign coins out. Now i have never had a problem with them giving me any that fell in the reject tray and frankly i dont think any of them really care. They have given me silver dimes, quarters, and IKEs which were stuck in the machine as well. I am sure some of them keep the Canadian coins and such, and some collect the foreign as well, but they cant really stop you from taking them as they do not belong to the bank.

Now i have had a lot of my own coins (non silver) fall into the PVC pipe which leads to the reject tray, just because of the volume of coins being fed through at a time, and if the pipe is not connected and they dont give you the coins from the reject tray, that is obviously theft.

A few weeks back, i was dumping halves, and the bag was full. When the lady opened the machine, there were about $15 in dimes and nickels and such stuck in the PVC pipe, which never made it into the reject tray. She did not give them to me, since she knew i was only dumping halves, and I did not argue, since it wasnt my money. But whoever dumped before me got shorted $15. Now she did dump the coins back through the machine, and printed out a ticket, so i am sure if someone comes in and claims that they were shorted, she will have to give it to them, but i would say noone counts the coins before they dump, unless they are CRH's

Gilmore Happy

Banned
Jul 19, 2011
PHOENIX, ARIZONA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My 2 cents...you need to change your image when you go in there.

Instead of the "down on his luck guy cashing in collection"
Be the freakin Tiger that's culling all the silver in the world.

Money talks, especially with banks. Let him know you have it, or at least pretend like you do.

You own that guy, and he knows it. Try it out.
***Only act like that, for that type of individual*** I come across it all the time here in PHX, I call those guys "Thirty Thousand Dollar Millionaires".

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread