Diver Dave (Rust) Memorial Service

Au_Dreamers

Dec 15, 2010
back on the 1715!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another great man and treasure finder passes over the bar.

The family welcomes all friends and acquaintances to come and share stories.

March 12 2012 Monday 5pm-6 pm fellowship
Memorial Service begins at 6pm

Haisley Funeral Home
3015 Okeechobee Road
Fort Pierce, FL 34947

There will be a live feed for Diver Dave’s friends that are spread all over the world, which can be viewed at;

www.HaisleyFuneralhome.com

In lieu of flowers the family wishes donations to the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society of Fort Pierce, FL

http://www.lls.org/#/aboutlls/chapters/pb/

or Molly’s House of Stuart, FL

http://www.mollyshouse.org/

Diver Dave
1-23-1959 * 3-9-2012​

Diver Dave (David Rust) lost his fight to cancer on March 9, 2012.

While there are no books about him, his would be one of the great ones.

Diver Dave was a diver’s diver. He has been involved in treasure hunting most of his life.
He’s been part of many crews on many different operations in many different waters. Specifically he has been diving on the 1715 Fleet for over 30 years!

I met Diver Dave in 1996 on Harold Holden’s 1715 Fleet salvage boat the “Royal Eight” after moving to Florida to fulfill a life’s dream of hunting for treasure.

The first day on the boat together, at the end of the day back at the dock, I couldn’t find the lens cap to my Nikonos V camera. I searched through everything, but couldn’t find it.

The next day getting underway Dave says, “here man” and hands me a lens cap.
I said, “Where did you find it? I looked everywhere.”
He said, “I didn’t find it, I have some extras at home and you looked pretty upset that you lost it.”

That’s Diver Dave, always willing to help you out, without you even asking for help.

We got to know each other more over the salvage season and made a plan to get blowers on my boat and partner up to go out on our own.

In 1997 the salvage boat Au Dreamers a 24ft Parker center console with twin blowers on twin 150 Yamaha outboards hit the waters.

We worked fulltime on the 1715 Fleet and Diver Dave taught me how to find treasure. We would work Rio Mar and Corrigan’s but mostly Douglas Beach. Many salvors have “their wreck” and Douglas Beach is Diver Dave’s.

While my personal life was taking me away from Fort Pierce, Diver Dave would work on the “Cobra” with Dave Miller and back with Harold Holden on the “Royal Eight” on occasion. He met yet another new to the 1715 fleet salvor “Indiana Joe” Sheperd. Indiana Joe and Diver Dave would spend the next several years on the “Royal Fifth” finding treasure until Indiana Joe sold the operation to Henry Jones and Gary Beaudoin.

Diver Dave taught his new shipmates how to find treasure and would continue to find more treasure running the “Royal Fifth” through the 2011 1715 Fleet salvage season.

His diagnosis of cancer came in November and he fought hard against it and seemed to be winning the fight. He even partially returned to work at the City of Fort Pierce, Parks Department just after two treatments of chemotherapy!
That was Diver Dave, no slowing down even with cancer waging war on his body. A sudden swing of the fight had him in the hospital the first week in March and the cancer kept advancing until Diver Dave lost his fight and passed over the bar almost a week later on Friday, March 9, 2012. He had just turned 53 in January.

The list of boats, divers, crews, captains and those on the shore that Diver Dave touched in his life are numerous and all over the world due to his adventurous traveling. Many have become lifelong friends because they met through Diver Dave. He was that kind of man, big hearted, friendly and mostly wearing a big smile!

I wish we could have got our next boat together for some more treasure finding, but now I’ll dive and find treasure with him in spirit.

I love you like a brother man and I pray you’re walking on gold!

OP
OP
A

Au_Dreamers

Dec 15, 2010
back on the 1715!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The memorial Service Webcast for David Rust will take place on:
Monday, March 12, 2012
5:50 PM

At that time, you can click on the following link to view the service:
... To view it, please visit: http://webcasts.lifetributes.com/289908

The password for viewing this webcast has been set to:
drust

You will need the Microsoft Silverlight player to watch this webcast.

You will be prompted to install it if you don't have it upon visiting the webcast. To download it manually, visit http://www.microsoft.com/silverlight/resources/install.aspx

If you have any questions, please contact Haisley Funeral Home at 772-461-5211

http://webcasts.lifetributes.com/289908

Diver Dave on our 1715 salvage boat "Au Dreamers" August 6 1997

Attachments

• Dave with 8 Reales on Au Dreamers original view.JPG
    Dave with 8 Reales on Au Dreamers original view.JPG
    80.1 KB · Views: 337

captbonnie

Jan 22, 2007
Vero Beach FL
Detector(s) used
AQ1B
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I dove with Dave on Harold's "Royal Eight" - '91 I guess - seems so long ago

and since then Dave worked Douglas with enthusiasm and integrity.. I will think of him there this summer- we that knew him will miss him...a man with a good heart, a treasure finder, ... so much more time he should have had

We missed the service but we haven't forgotten

Bonnie and Jo

seascribe

Greenie
Mar 11, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LimaSk01.jpg "Diver Dave" Rust worked with many of our well-known salvage divers in his 30 years here on the "Treasure Coast". These include Chris Tisack, "Indiana Joe" Shepherd, Henry Jones, Gary Beaudoin, Paul Neil, Hank Haardt, Bonnie Schubert, Wayne Menard, Robert Jones, Marshall Battjes, and several others. See some of their testimonials to Dave in the upcoming (May, 2012) issue of PLVS VLTRA Newsletter. A younger Dave wrote an article about his finding a "Bogie Two" gold coin on the Douglass Beach wrecksite in Ft. Pierce in the 2nd-quarter, 2006 issue. Our ranks are growing thin! S/S

Last edited:

MoTwister

Apr 27, 2007
Joplin, MO
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Turbo, Fisher 1280-X, Aquapulse.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I am totally stunned by this news. I was going to call Dave and see how the diving had been down in Florida. I had acted as a guest diver aboard the royal fifth for several years working the Douglas wreck. Being from Missouri I did not always know what treasure looked like and I remember getting into a discussion with Dave over what I though was fishing sinkers and he explaining to me that they were musket balls. I realized the error of my ways when he showed me that the balls had no holes for the fishing line to go through. Haha all I said was well I am from Missouri. He was a great guy and I really enjoyed working with him on the royal fifth. He taught me all I know about working on a boat and he enjoyed seeing if he could get more bow line aboard the boat then I could coil into the containers at the end of the day, he usually won. Diver Dave I will truly miss you. Norman Barr, Joplin. MO

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread