Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Joe, :headbang: :laughing7:

SH,

Ok, that "omega" symbol has been talked about quite a bit.

As I'm sure you know - it is also used as a symbol for "the end", life and immortality and used in algebra quite frequently.

Beth

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The other thing I forgot to note, is that the omega symbol is actually a Greek symbol, so I, personally, couldn't tie it, without a doubt, to be Christian or Jesuit.

B

OP
OP
somehiker

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Joe and Beth:
I don't believe that the graphic I posted is masonic or greek.
Nor are the stones IMHO.Unless,of course they are Greek-Masonic fakes. :dontknow:
After all,the illustration was used in a Jesuit text about all the neat stuff in the new world.
I wouldn't say that it,alone,proves anything.Certainly nothing that the Jesuits might be able to use to lay claim to anything found in the Superstitions.

Regards:SH.

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Hi Beth,

"The other thing I forgot to note, is that the omega symbol is actually a Greek symbol, so I, personally, couldn't tie it, without a doubt, to be Christian or Jesuit."

While you are correct that the omega symbol is Greek, it is no problem to tie
it to the Jesuit Order. When St. Ignatius of Loyola formed the order, he....borrowed the Greek symbol for a symbol of the Jesuit Order.

In addition, it has long been used as a Christian symbol for Christ when used in conjunction with the Alpha symbol.

Take care,

Joe

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Joe,

"In addition, it has long been used as a Christian symbol for Christ when used in conjunction with the Alpha symbol."

I agree with you completely.

My point was just that it has so many meanings, in so many cultures (including being the last letter of the Greek alphabet), that I, personally,
could not say with complete confidence, that, in this instance, it is meant to tie it to the Jesuits. It could be, or it could symbolize "the end"
of a trail, or the end of the information on a particular stone, or whatever. (in other words, it may not be meant to be symbolic, but rather
a "clue")

Beth

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Beth,

That is correct. It also could be depicting a natural land formation along the Stone Map Trail. I have pointed out two such formations in my own map. It so happens, they are located right where they should be, if you are following the maps.

Just another coincidence, I'm sure. :dontknow:

Take care,

Joe

OP
OP
somehiker

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cactusjumper said:
Beth,

That is correct. It also could be depicting a natural land formation along the Stone Map Trail. I have pointed out two such formations in my own map. It so happens, they are located right where they should be, if you are following the maps.

Take care,

Joe

I suspect that the symbol was sometimes used to represent Golgatha,or "Calvary Hill".This may be the case, as in this example a cross is depicted at the top of the symbol.As I have suggested on previous occasions,it could also be a clue that something can be found buried at a given location.As to where that particular location happens to be,natural or not so natural,that depends on one's own interpretation of a map or written directions.

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
Somehiker wrote
As to where that particular location happens to be,natural or not so natural,that depends on one's own interpretation of a map or written directions.

Are you hinting that there is a set of written directions that accompanies the stone maps? Thank you in advance,
Oroblanco

OP
OP
somehiker

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Joe:
As a bit of trivia,which you may be aware of already but others not.
There happens to be a mural on the wall at the Gallery in the Sun, of Golgatha.
Just to keep things interesting. :icon_scratch:

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Along the lines of tying the Omega into the Jesuit order obliquely, Pierre Teilhard De Chardin, S.J. brought forth some radical theories trying to redefine Evolution, and bring it into some kind of acceptance in the Church.

Needless to say, his works were never published by the Catholic Church, and he was heavily censored by his superiors.

He mentions "Omega Point" of history often in his works. Eventually, Christ will be the Omega Point for man to become "Ultra-Human"......more than man.

Just a curious side note on the Jesuit Order's history.

Joe

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
somehiker said:
cactusjumper said:
Beth,

Take care,

Joe

I suspect that the symbol was sometimes used to represent Golgatha,or "Calvary Hill".This may be the case, as in this example a cross is depicted at the top of the symbol.As I have suggested on previous occasions,it could also be a clue that something can be found buried at a given location.As to where that particular location happens to be,natural or not so natural,that depends on one's own interpretation of a map or written directions.

Wayne,

Anything is possible on the Stone Maps, but I have given the true history and meaning of the omega symbol on the picture you posted earlier.

Joe

OP
OP
somehiker

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oroblanco said:
Somehiker wrote
As to where that particular location happens to be,natural or not so natural,that depends on one's own interpretation of a map or written directions.

Are you hinting that there is a set of written directions that accompanies the stone maps? Thank you in advance,
Oroblanco

Only if you consider all of the known stones as a complementary set,Roy.

OP
OP
somehiker

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cactusjumper said:
somehiker said:
cactusjumper said:
Beth,

Take care,

Joe

Wayne,

Anything is possible on the Stone Maps, but I have given the true history and meaning of the omega symbol on the picture you posted earlier.

Joe

This ?
"When St. Ignatius of Loyola formed the order, he....borrowed the Greek symbol for a symbol of the Jesuit Order"
Are there any other examples of the "omega" used in a Catholic/Jesuit/Franciscan etc. coat of arms or seal that you know of ??
I have been looking,but so far without any luck.

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Somehiker wrote
Are there any other examples of the "omega" used in a Catholic/Jesuit/Franciscan etc. coat of arms or seal that you know of ??
I have been looking,but so far without any luck.

The omega is used on altars in Catholic churches, not necessarily Jesuit; here is a written description, quote

The main altar of the church was put here in 1973. It is decorated with symbols popular at that time which tried to reproduce the kind of symbol used in the early days of the Church and known to us from such places as the catacombs. The bread and fish at the centre, five small loaves and two fish, remind us of the feeding of the five thousand. The anchors at either side were symbols of hope, safe haven, being sheltered in port. Note the bottoms of the anchors are letters, an "A" the first letter of the Greek alphabet, alpha, and what looks like a "w", in fact a small omega, the last letter of the Greek alphabet. In the book of the Apocalypse Jesus says, "I am the alpha and the omega, the beginning and the end." The birds are most probably a representation of the quail which fell into the Israelite camp as it dwelt in the wilderness after leaving Egypt. The small crosses are traditionally the representation of the manna, also known as the bread of heaven, the small sweet flakes which settled on the Israelite camp. The quail and bread helped to feed the children of Israel for the forty years of their wanderings in the desert. The IC at one end of the altar represents the first and last letters, in Greek, of the name Jesus. The XC below are the first and last letters of the name Christ. At the other end the word NIKA is Greek for victor or conqueror. On the lectern some of these symbols are reused. This time we have capital A and Ω, alpha and omega, as well as the anchor with a small omega below.

The alpha and omega are also used in the Easter observation.

Why do you specify that the omega would be in a coat of arms or seal? Clearly the omega on the stone maps is not a part of a seal or coat of arms. Thank you in advance,
Oroblanco

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Here is a shot of a California (Franciscan) mission, if you note the building incorporates the omega topped by a cross, very similar to what was posted for a Jesuit seal yet this mission was never Jesuit, always Franciscan (it was not founded until after the Jesuits were expelled)
B_003_08_CapistranoMission.jpg

<San Juan Capistrano in CA>

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Just food for thought, a beautiful golden altar
B_003_034_Missions_CapistranoAltar.jpg

Jesuit? No, Franciscan, same mission in CA.
Oroblanco

PS
Alpha-Omega: Alpha, the first letter of the Greek alphabet, and Omega, the last letter of the Greek alphabet, became a symbol for Christ due to His being called "the First and the Last." The roots of symbolizing these attributes of God go back further, all the way to the Old Testament where, in Exodus 34:6, God is said to be "full of Goodness and Truth." The Hebrew spelling of the word "Truth" consists of the 3 letters "Aleph," "Mem," and "Thaw" -- and because "Aleph" and "Thaw" are the first and last letters of the Hebrew alphabet, the ancients saw mystical relevance in God's being referred to as "Truth." At any rate, the Greek Alpha and Omega as a symbol for Christ has been found in the Catacombs, Christian signet rings, post-Constantine coins, and the frescoes and mosaics of ancient churches.

OP
OP
somehiker

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Roy:

"The omega is used on altars in Catholic churches, not necessarily Jesuit"

That is why I wrote "Catholic/Jesuit/Franciscan etc".

I am well aware of the fact that the omega symbol has religious meaning,particularly to the Catholic church as well as the Jesuits.
There seems to be several theories as to what it really means,where it was used on the stone maps and crosses.

"Why do you specify that the omega would be in a coat of arms or seal?"

..because that is where it appears on the illustration that was posted.Any similar use is what I am looking for.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread