DIY 4" dredge

djpitr

Oct 18, 2012
S.C.
Detector(s) used
Gold bug 2 , XP Deus , ctx3030
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So yesterday i put my home made 4" dredge to test ;)
And it did really good .
Great suction , i mean ... Better then great , if you suck bigger flat rock to the nozzle its almost impossible to get it off :)
Im using honda 3" trash pump 14000gpm
And everything else is diy made :)
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1467669210.814464.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1467669236.944305.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1467669256.984687.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1467669281.849221.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1467669298.703162.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1467669322.121548.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1467669337.371738.jpg
First time in water it did really good , i have to move the motor more to the front or add float under crash box , i used some rocks for weight to make it level ;)
Bud it sucks like no other dredge :)

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
I see you have the bad habit of wearing your wedding ring while dredgeing......................................youll lose it eventually if you keep wearing while in the water! BUT meanwhile your getting the gold!

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm surprised and very impressed that your pvc wye power jet is doing such a good job. :notworthy:
Would have also thought that you would be fighting plug ups at the bend.
* just watched the video and saw the bolt you have across the nozzle, explains why you aren't getting plug ups plus you are careful feeding the hose.

Nice gold and congrats on the build :icon_thumleft:
I see some really fine gold in the pan. Is that vortex mat in your sluice? or black carpet?

GG~

Last edited:
OP
OP
djpitr

djpitr

Oct 18, 2012
S.C.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I see you have the bad habit of wearing your wedding ring while dredgeing......................................youll lose it eventually if you keep wearing while in the water! BUT meanwhile your getting the gold!

Yeh , i better take it off next time :) my wife would not like that at all ;)

OP
OP
djpitr

djpitr

Oct 18, 2012
S.C.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm surprised and very impressed that your pvc wye power jet is doing such a good job. :notworthy:
Would have also thought that you would be fighting plug ups at the bend.
* just watched the video and saw the bolt you have across the nozzle, explains why you aren't getting plug ups plus you are careful feeding the hose.

Nice gold and congrats on the build :icon_thumleft:
I see some really fine gold in the pan. Is that vortex mat in your sluice? or black carpet?

GG~

Thanks GG ,
it works super well , it will suck and hold hand or flat rocks , and u have trouble to get it off nozzle :) .... Its the pump .. Honda 3" trash pump 14500gph ... Thats lot of water .. I reduce it to 2" at pump , and 1" at the jet , so there is less water going thru , bud still , its crazy strong suction .

We hade 2 plug ups for the day , and thats was in the middle of suction hose Because we hade it curved too much and feed it too fast ... :) that think wants to suck all in one time .. Thats why we kind of try feed it slower.

And yes the bolt in nozzle helped a lot, i will be makeing new nozzle , one that is in small angle with handle

Yes the whole sluice have vortex mat , and under crush box is steel punch plate 1/4inch holes ,
We think we lost a lot of gold !!!! Because we run it very fast , lot of water is sluice , very fast flow .

I ordered goldhog mats and will mix it up with the vortex to make sure we getting most of gold

OP
OP
djpitr

djpitr

Oct 18, 2012
S.C.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
And i will be making the sluice little longer and adding fluid bed :) with punch plate on top of it and controllable pressure on jets

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread