Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I’ve been looking for ways to somewhat protect the control box from the elements and found what I believe to be a workable solution. I previously ordered some 3x5 ziplock bags off eBay which are 8 mils thick and fit the control box perfectly, I’ve simply cut out a piece of the back to conform to and shaped exactly like the area of the control box that fits onto the shaft. I then simply attached the box to the shaft with the bag over it and its protected even better than the silicon covers you see for sale at pretty high prices. I can even ziplock the bottom of the bag for greater protection. Granted, its not waterproof but neither is the silicon cover.

Cover Back.JPG Cover Front.JPG Cover Mounted.JPG

Last edited:

mtsheron

Jun 6, 2014
NC
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+; and Lesche digging tools! Tesoro Compadre (daughter's machine)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Let me ask this Dan............if you had slipped on the control unit in the bag without cutting out the area that fits onto the shaft would it work and even be a little more air tight and protected? Is there enough play left in the bag to do this?

OP
OP
ColonelDan

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Let me ask this Dan............if you had slipped on the control unit in the bag without cutting out the area that fits onto the shaft would it work and even be a little more air tight and protected? Is there enough play left in the bag to do this?

I don't believe so since the bag I used is 8 mils thick which prevents the attachment. Now if you would use a thinner bag, it might work but the normal fit of those two pieces without anything over them is really tight. Even if a thinner bag like a 2 mil thick sandwich bag would fit I think it would be prone to tearing. I used the 8 mil thickness to prevent tearing.

OP
OP
ColonelDan

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
I do 99.99% of my hunting in Florida and on the beaches. If on the beach and even if you never go INTO the water, you still have to contend with sand and salt spray getting on your equipment. When on land, we're subject to rapid showers that come up especially during the rainy season. This system protects the control box against all that. As I said, it's not waterPROOF because of the cut out in the back but I noticed the silicon cover is notched in the back even more so than the bag above and can't be closed off at the bottom like this simple solution can.

I also tried just making a slit in the back rather than cut a notch but that didn't work out as well....the sides of the slit interfered with the fit between the shaft and the control box.

If anyone has an idea for a modification to this, I'd really like to hear it.

mtsheron

Jun 6, 2014
NC
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+; and Lesche digging tools! Tesoro Compadre (daughter's machine)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for sharing this Dan. I need to get some for when I go to the beach this January to do some off season hunting!

Cross Potent

Oct 20, 2014
Mid Atlantic / East coast
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Got mine on just now. The remote is almost too big to get through the opening of the bags I got but once in it fits pretty well. Works great! Easy to press the buttons and SIMPLE. Thanks again.

OP
OP
ColonelDan

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Ism, that too sounds like a very good idea!!!

tnduke

Jun 4, 2014
East TN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
Fisher CZ3D,
Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dan, Thanks for the tip. Much appreciated.
Duke

OP
OP
ColonelDan

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Got mine on just now. The remote is almost too big to get through the opening of the bags I got but once in it fits pretty well. Works great! Easy to press the buttons and SIMPLE. Thanks again.

A tight initial fit getting it in was my experience also but I really like the fact that those bags seem tailor made for the Deus control box and you have little or no excess plastic bag hanging off the whole thing. Compared to the silicon covers, you have better protection in my opinion at a fraction of the cost.

Last edited:

Cross Potent

Oct 20, 2014
Mid Atlantic / East coast
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A tight initial fit getting it in was my experience also but I really like the fact that those bags seem tailor made for the Deus control box and you have little or no excess plastic bag hanging off the whole thing. Compared to the silicon covers, you have better protection in my opinion at a fraction of the cost.

I used it for a few hours in the field this week and it really works great. Super easy fix and cheap. Thanks!

Unreal that I keep using this machine instead of the CTX. Never expected that!

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice improvisation! Looks good!

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
If you happen to have a Foodsaver (vacuum sealer), then you can make your own bags... to exact size no less. GL&HH.

gene the machine

Apr 24, 2012
Western New York
Detector(s) used
Compass Coin Magnum, Garrett GTP1350, Minelab CTX 3030, XP Deus, Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
great idea. thanks just ordered them off of eBay too. tried the custom sized vacuum bags but i don't like the texture of them and they aren't as clear.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread